By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bolder Prediction: [So Far 8.18mil] Animal Crossing New Horizons will be 12mil in Japan Lifetime

It will sell (ship+digital)

Under 7mil 5 10.87%

Around 7.5mil 5 10.87%

8mil 3 6.52%

8.5mil 4 8.70%

9mil 3 6.52%

9.5mil 3 6.52%

10mil 3 6.52%

10.5mil 2 4.35%

11mil 2 4.35%

12mil 16 34.78%

Total:46

I feel there is an art to these tbone51 threads.  Obviously they are all bullish predictions, but a good amount of them actually turn out right.  The art is figuring out which ones those are.

After seeing Nintendo's last financial report I'm ready to come aboard on this prediction.  Let's ride this train all the way to 12m!  Choo choo!

Around the Network
Ryng said:
Hi everyone, wanna bump this thread for letting you know that i made a video where i talk about this prediction!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1T-UxLJvac

Hope you like it!

This is the first I noticed this video.  I found in entertaining and informative.  Good job!

Bofferbrauer2 said:
MasonADC said:
Animal crossing isn’t outselling Mario Kart 8. It’ll probably be the second best selling game but MK8D will for sure be ahead of it by a good amount too

In North America, MK8D will win for sure. In Europe however, not so much, that's much more of a tossup. And in Japan, it's guaranteed that AC:NH will win out.

So in short, it's not at all guaranteed that Mario Kart will win out here in the end. However, I'm positive that both will be on the first and second step of the podium of best-selling Switch titles. The Question is who's on top out fo the two.

Looks like your prediction was right...and it didn't take long either.

tbone51 said:
Also quick note to make, since I notice something wrong with my prediction

my prediction from before (in OP)
Tbone5189 prediction ACNH (shipment+Digital)
Q1 4200k
Q2 2800k (yes I’m serious)
Q3 500k
Q4 800k
Y1 8300k (surpassing Pokémon RG)

I had put 7mil by end of June, it was surpassed by 150k to make it 7.15mil. Without bundles it seems like it’s selling weekly somewhere in the 40k-50k range. But the bundle is keeping it afloat.

I had originally put Q3 for 500k followed by holiday 800k. To make it 8.3mil for years end. July has proven already that my Q3 prediction is pessimistic as hell to my surprise. ACNH will be closer to 1mil by end of sept, so 800k+ is to be expected. I’ll have to revise my prediction now lol

Q1 3800K

Q2 3300K

Now Q3 pacing for double your prediction.  Less front-loaded but more leggy than you expected.

Also, JP share of WW actually went down from Q1 > Q2 (32.^% > 31.1%).  If that continues this next quarter we're looking at ~5M WW.

RolStoppable said:
tbone51 said:

you know why I’m quoting you lmao!!

You agreed to Best Selling game so your not on drugs

your 50/50 on 10mil which seems to be the safe bet as of now (no less than 9mil at this point)

and then the 12mil.... how do you feel about that now?

10m is more than 50/50 now. At least 80/20 in favor of getting there.

12m remains a tall order. I keep seeing news on my Switch that the game is getting regular updates, so that helps the game to keep getting talked about and lure in even more customers. But 12m is also ~10% of Japan's population, so...

...I am thinking about your "Switch will outsell the DS in Japan" thread where I said that's possible. With hardware sales like that, it isn't unthinkable for a game to sell 12m. 7.15m in the books, regular updates with who knows what's left to come, so I'll upgrade 12m lifetime to a 40/60 chance now.

By now your "SSBU to sell 25m lifetime" prediction looks like a piece of cake, something else that I considered impossible. Switch and its games are doing really great.

The only way it’ll hit 12mil or above is with constant updates (similar to Splatoon) for 2-3years. As well as the bundles which imo AC is the best game for japan. AC is currently selling great but even much better due to the NSW shortages and AC being a good amount of it bundled.

i predicted 8.3mil for the year and that will be destroyed. 9mil is looking like a possibility now, AC in Q3 could be 1mil but we will see. Obon coming up and AC bundle can push the game.

as for the DS thread, yeah NSW sells 30mil that means 10mil+ sales from 2021 and later. Out of that number only 2-3mil have to purchase AC which we all know has the best legs in japan. 40/60 is good odds I’ll take it.

SSBU doin 25mil is great, I want 30mil but too soon to tell yet. After last quarter it’ll make it. The biggest unknown is how high AC and MK will go. Both will be 40mil at this point though

@tbone51 : Will you update the OP with the latest numbers?

NateH said:
When you look at games like Smash Ultimate (which outsold New Horizons in their respective North American openings) having 17 million lifetime, I'm thinking this is laughable. Twelve million in Japan alone is New Leaf's global lifetime. Might as well predict New Horizons will be the best-selling Switch game ever.

You should have predicted that...

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 07 August 2020

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
This is impossible

Switch japanese userbase is only 13 million players atm. They will need to push this much further, something like 29-30 million users, DS-like userbase

Even if Swtich eventually archive 25-26 million users, it will take years. By the time it happens Animal Crossing will be a really old game (3, maybe 4 years old). New Leaf sold around 66% of it's lifetime sales on the first year, so if New Horizons make the same cut it would lead for a 7,92 (66% of 12 million) million copies in a year, it means literally more than half of switch owners

There is a roof for NH sales, the roof is the number of Switch players. I don't think it can move anything higher than 6-6.5 million copies this year. And god, 6+ million copies is already freaking insane and would lead form something around ~9 million copies lifetime, literally the best selling game ever in Japan.

It looks like not only will it hit 8 million but could hit 9 million in the first year. I would've thought it would be impossible too but lesson learned, don't doubt tbone with regards to Animal Crossing lol.

Norion said:

It looks like not only will it hit 8 million but could hit 9 million in the first year. I would've thought it would be impossible too but lesson learned, don't doubt tbone with regards to Animal Crossing lol.

Do we have current figures for digital sales in Japan?

Bofferbrauer2 said:

@tbone51 : Will you update the OP with the latest numbers?

NateH said:
When you look at games like Smash Ultimate (which outsold New Horizons in their respective North American openings) having 17 million lifetime, I'm thinking this is laughable. Twelve million in Japan alone is New Leaf's global lifetime. Might as well predict New Horizons will be the best-selling Switch game ever.

You should have predicted that...

I just did thanks :)

IcaroRibeiro said:
Norion said:

Do we have current figures for digital sales in Japan?

Roughly 2mil if not slightly under. 7.15mil was ship+digital and 5mil was retail sell thru (minus mynintendo store sales)

8 million this year is guaranteed, and it may very well hit 9 million this year. Which means 10 million is guaranteed next year. 12 million lifetime looks highly likely. Maybe even 13 million.