Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts March 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:

Read the article here. Be sure to share it.

PlayStation 4 vs Xbox 360 in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – March 2020

PS4 Vs. X360 US:

Gap change in latest month: 49,200 – X360

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,710,118 – X360

Total Lead: 1,294,152 – X360

X360 Total Sales: 34,077,467

PS4 Total Sales: 32,783,315

In March 2020 the gap in the US between the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 360 grew in favor of the Xbox 360 when you align launches. The Xbox 360 sold 49,200 more units than the PlayStation 4 in the last month and by 3.71 million units in the last 12 months. The Xbox 360 currently leads by 1.29 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Xbox 360 launched on November 22, 2005. The PlayStation 4 has sold 32.78 million units, while the Xbox 360 sold 34.08 million units during the same timeframe.

The Xbox 360 sold 45.14 million units lifetime in the US. The PlayStation 4 needs to sell another 12.36 million units to surpass the Xbox 360 in the US.

Goes to show how the power of the Xbox brand in the US, that a system that sold 86m lifetime globally will beat a system that's gonna sell 120m+ globally there. Might be a long time before anything beats 360's total in the US.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Goes to show how the power of the Xbox brand in the US, that a system that sold 86m lifetime globally will beat a system that's gonna sell 120m+ globally there. Might be a long time before anything beats 360's total in the US.

Xbox brand is huge in all of North America. Outside of that it is fairly popular in the UK and Oceania. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

TruckOSaurus said:
It's starting to look like the PS4 won't pass the Xbox 360 in the US.

"Starting," now that's a way to put it nicely. Since more than a year the gap chart shows basically a cliff that the PS4 is falling off.

One very common thing that I've noticed with these gap charts over the years is that people in general have next to no idea how the sales curves of earlier systems look like. The gap charts themselves obviously don't help because they provide no peek in the future, like showing the next 6 to 12 months ahead. They are always cut off at the up to date month.

Adding a third image that shows the full length of the older console's life might not be a bad idea. The newer console's line would occupy only a fraction of the graph, but it's something that would add more perspective.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:

"Starting," now that's a way to put it nicely. Since more than a year the gap chart shows basically a cliff that the PS4 is falling off.

One very common thing that I've noticed with these gap charts over the years is that people in general have next to no idea how the sales curves of earlier systems look like. The gap charts themselves obviously don't help because they provide no peek in the future, like showing the next 6 to 12 months ahead. They are always cut off at the up to date month.

Adding a third image that shows the full length of the older console's life might not be a bad idea. The newer console's line would occupy only a fraction of the graph, but it's something that would add more perspective.

That would be interesting indeed.

Signature goes here!

RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:

That isn't a bad idea. I could do a third graph to those that are launch aligned. Or do I just add that to the total sales graph I already do? 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

That isn't a bad idea. I could do a third graph to those that are launch aligned. Or do I just add that to the total sales graph I already do? 

The idea is that the third graph is launch-aligned too and the reason for a third graph is the scaling. If you created an example for Switch vs. 3DS and Wii U in the USA, the full life of the 3DS and Wii U would probably condense the scaling to a degree where the current finer nuances would get lost, because for a good junk of the first three years the lines are very close together.

On the other hand, a comparison like PS4 vs. 360 in the USA that is entering its final stage, a separate third graph would hardly change anything, so for such an article it would be sufficient to change the total sales graph to one that shows the full length of the 360's lifecycle and stick with only two images in total.

It's something to decide on a case by case basis, but I suppose that most comparisons would look good with only two graphs where total sales shows the full lifecycle of the older console(s). Maybe you post a couple of examples in this thread and see what people think about them.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
trunkswd said:

The idea is that the third graph is launch-aligned too and the reason for a third graph is the scaling. If you created an example for Switch vs. 3DS and Wii U in the USA, the full life of the 3DS and Wii U would probably condense the scaling to a degree where the current finer nuances would get lost, because for a good junk of the first three years the lines are very close together.

On the other hand, a comparison like PS4 vs. 360 in the USA that is entering its final stage, a separate third graph would hardly change anything, so for such an article it would be sufficient to change the total sales graph to one that shows the full length of the 360's lifecycle and stick with only two images in total.

It's something to decide on a case by case basis, but I suppose that most comparisons would look good with only two graphs where total sales shows the full lifecycle of the older console(s). Maybe you post a couple of examples in this thread and see what people think about them.

When I start doing the April 2020 Gap Charts I will go through them and see which ones make the most sense to add a third chart to. I do like the idea, even if it means a little more work. At least at first when it comes to creating the graphs. Once they are created it is easy enough to update them with the latest months figures. 

RolStoppable said:

I like this idea a lot. Would help give a better sense of context.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

I like this idea a lot. Would help give a better sense of context.

I'll get updating the charts for April early, so I can see which ones would be good with a Thurs graph or not. 

@RolStoppable @curl-6 Here is what one of the graphs will look like when you add lifetime sales. What do you think?