Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts March 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Truck beat me to it, but its insane that Switch almost managed to keep up with PS4's third holiday season during March.

Looking like Switch might really manage to keep a permanent lead from here on out in the US.

Nintendo really needs to get the Switch back in stock. Still hard to find. 

Yeah stock shortages are their biggest obstacle right now, just like in 2017. They'll sell about as much as they can ship, so they should do everything they can to increase supply. I dunno what more they can do, maybe try to buy up capacity in more factories in more countries, like they did last year to avoid tariffs?

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Nintendo really needs to get the Switch back in stock. Still hard to find. 

Yeah stock shortages are their biggest obstacle right now, just like in 2017. They'll sell about as much as they can ship, so they should do everything they can to increase supply. I dunno what more they can do, maybe try to buy up capacity in more factories in more countries, like they did last year to avoid tariffs?

They've ordered 10% more Switch consoles for this year. Just depends if all the factories can get up to speed and stay there. Hopefully there isn't a second wave. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Read the article here. Be sure to share it.

Switch vs 3DS in Japan – VGChartz Gap Charts – March 2020

Switch Vs. 3DS Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 784,181 - Switch

Gap change over last 12 months: 971,320 – Switch

Total Lead: 2,001,585 – 3DS

Switch Total Sales: 13,245,090

3DS Total Sales: 15,246,675

March 2020 is the 37th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in Japan. During the latest month the Switch closed the gap to the 3DS by 784,181 units. In the last 12 months, the Switch has outsold the 3DS by 971,320 units units. The 3DS is currently ahead of the Switch by 2.00 million units.

The 3DS launched in February 2011 (however, 3DS sales have been aligned to March 2011, since it only launched at the end of February in Japan) and the Nintendo Switch launched worldwide in March 2017. The Switch in its first 36 months has sold 13.25 million units, while the 3DS sold 15.35 million units.

The 3DS has sold 24.60 million units lifetime in Japan through March 2020. The Switch is currently 11.35 million units behind the lifetime sales of the 3DS.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

The Switch vs 3DS race in Japan is going to be very interesting.

Moren said:

Definitely. 3DS got an early lead, but the Switch is looking to close the gap from here on out. 

Around the Network
Moren said:

Doubtful. In a year's time people will recognize that Switch is going to get an easy win.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
Moren said:

Doubtful. In a year's time people will recognize that Switch is going to get an easy win.

The Switch is still over 11 million away. It will take time for it to catch up and outsell the lifetime sales of the 3DS. 

trunkswd said:
RolStoppable said:

The Switch is still over 11 million away. It will take time for it to catch up and outsell the lifetime sales of the 3DS. 

Yes, but launch-aligned it's a gap of ~2m now and momentum heavily favors Switch. 2020 is on track for 5m+ for Switch while the 3DS sold only ~3.15m in 2014; month 34 had a gap of ~2.5m, so most of that will be closed by the end of 2020.

Even if Switch declines in 2021, the 3DS declined as well, so a year from now is about the time when Switch will have passed the 3DS launch-aligned. It's hard to imagine that at that point anyone will doubt that Switch will take the win in lifetime sales.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

It's worth remembering that 3DS was dirt cheap by this point in its life, while the Switch has yet to get an actual price cut.
I also don't recall 3DS having similar problems with supply constraints.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
It's worth remembering that 3DS was dirt cheap by this point in its life, while the Switch has yet to get an actual price cut.
I also don't recall 3DS having similar problems with supply constraints.

Very true. Switch wouldn't need a big pricey cut to help keep sales high. $179 for Switch Lite and $249 for OG Switch.