By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Breath of the Wild—First Zelda game

Metallox said:
With all due respect, sounds to me like you should check out some tricks on YouTube to get through the game more easily. 45+ minutes for a group of enemies that I'm going to assume are either moblins or lizalfos it's just too much, and it's possible to beat the guardians of the moderate tests in a snap, even with poor equipment.

Ha well I am struggling with the controls. Been playing games for almost thirty years, but these controls are throwing me off.

The enemy that I struggled with in that group of 3 was a Moblin, but he had a spear that killed me in a single hit. I have only 3 hearts of life and just got the Hylian clothing set. I was (still am) in the area directly North of Necluda (tower/map not yet unlocked) heading toward the Divine Beast there.

I don’t understand how it’s possible to beat moderate level guardians so quickly with poor equipment. It was taking forever. Every hit brought its life down such a tiny amount that I couldn’t tell it was even going down until 3 or so consecutive hits. Again, I’ve been playing games for nearly 3 decades, and it seemed odd enough that I felt like I must be missing something. I think I may have eventually been able to beat it, as I was getting its patterns down, but I was getting really bored, and I would’ve ended up wasting all of my weapons on it. 

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 09 April 2020

Around the Network
FarleyMcFirefly said:
I've been a Zelda fan since I liked videogames. My first was A Link to the Past. My favourite Zelda (and game ever) is Ocarina of Time.
I have played Breath of the Wild through twice. The first time, I found how much of a departure from the normal Zelda formula to be jarring... I couldn't enjoy it as much because to me it didn't feel like Zelda. On its own, I thought the game was a great game, just not a great Zelda game.

Playing through the second time I just appreciated everything more. I loved it more for being different; for being able to change the franchise in such a fundamental way and still be engaging. I will say, the story that is there I love. But there is just not enough of it (cutscenes I mean). I'm in the minority but I love the voice acting in this game, especially Zelda herself, who has my favourite design in the series. I can't really explain my feelings for this game like I want... I love this game, though not perfect, I think it has many aspects that are the best so far in the series. That being said, despite its huge popularity, I would never recommend this game as the first game to play to anybody who is interested in the Zelda series as a whole.

Darn, that’s unfortunate haha

I know it's hard. I know some gamers need to be funneled in a certain direction. I know reading sucks. I know it's tempting to go on YouTube and see what to do next.

This isn't that kind of game. Explore, gather things, go wherever you feel like and fight whatever you feel like fighting. You'll end up in the right place.

I do recommend making "x" the dash button, though. And if you haven't bonded with your horse, find a better one. You'll eventually find one that does what you want. You'll spend most of the game alone and on foot. You may want to have a horse (or even Wolf Link) by your side but the bulk of your journey will be solo. Enjoy it.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 09 April 2020

Mar1217 said:
Looking at your playthrough so far. You'll need time to build towards a better experience since Link needs more equipment and health and stamina boosts to get better over time.
Though, I do understand this alien feeling when it comes to the controls.
Honestly, I'd say that most of what you're experiencing right now we'll be better later on as you obviously get more accustomed to the different mechanics.

Otherwise, maybe you'd like Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess better if you're into more heavy narrative type of game.

BOTW doesn't hold your hand much long in that department.

Good to know that it should get better with time! I’m sticking with it. Gonna play it again in a few minutes. I really want to love this game—and the world of Zelda in general. Even tho I never played a Zelda game, Link has always seemed like the coolest Nintendo character to me. And I always figured that Zelda games would be my favorite Nintendo franchise. 

Decker said:

As others have said, Breath of the Wild isn't anything like previous Zelda games, I really enjoy the game but it's not necessarily my favorite in the series and understand the issues you are having with it, my only recommendation is to either keep trying it with maybe a guide so things feel like theres a bit more structure and so you can have an idea what you are working towards, or just if possible try out another more classic styled 3D Zelda game like Twilight Princess since it is much more story oriented, darker, and more sense of structure to the game.

I’m gonna stick with it! And yeah, I might try checking out a guide. If you have any tips on what guide to use, feel free to post it:) Thanks for your insight/advice!

Around the Network
Amnesia said:
I had finished 3 Zelda before, and I am a Nintendo guy.
It took me more than 5 hours to feel well into this one, and today it is one of my favorite game ever. It is actually the only one game I could play these last 8 years without being speedrunning, but just relaxing.

Okay, good to know. Thanks!

Regarding difficulty, discretion is often the better part of valor in BOTW; the game is designed so that you will regularly come across enemies that you are just not ready to fight yet, and a strategic retreat is often the best option. This is done to keep the world feeling tense and dangerous.

Don't worry; you can always come back later and whoop their sorry butts for some sweet revenge once you've accumulated more hearts, stamina, and better weapons/armour. :)

After 6 hours I also had mixed emotions. I had the most fun to unlock new parts on the map and find all shrines. Story is imo not the strength of a Zelda game (haven't played Skyward Sword yet). Most Nintendo games are focused on gameplay.
New locations, better weapons & armor and new/better skills should be motivation enough. I think after 30 hours I really was in the game and even went very late to bed because there was so much I wanted to do. But at the beginning I also had not much fun with the game. Haven't had problems with the difficulty, though. Harder enemies drop better weapons. Typical for a open world game. It was fair imo.
I actually haven't used a horse often. I tried it at the beginning, but the speed wasn't much better. It also prevented me from collecting things. Usually I used the paraglider and teleports for travelling.

The game is very much a tedious affair, it revolves entirely around the shrines.

However, once you hit the story and do your first beast, I find the gameplay picks up significantly.

In saying that, not all Zelda games are the same... I absolutely loved Links Awakening on the old Gameboy back when I was younger... And the remake on Switch was probably my favorite game so far on the console... And it's the polar opposite in terms of gameplay style to Breath of the Wild.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

pitzy272 said:
xMetroid said:

Depends on where you are at right now, but yea the story in this game is mostly told from details ingame more than narration. If you already have the quest with the memories, it won't get much better. But of course overall the plateau isn't really interesting, it's a tutorial. So with 6 hours i'm assuming you probably left it not a long time ago. So it should get better but again this game isn't strong for it's story elements. 

A lot of the story is told by dialogues from characters tho, so if you only take it from cutscenes it will really be lacking. The whole games just has details that you have to put togheter by yourself. 

You'll definitely get use to it but yea it did feel a bit weird in the beginning. Also, i think there is an option to change the button setting but it's been a while since i checked so maybe i'm wrong.

Yes you do have to get a better bond with it. By soothing it or giving the horse food. You'll have stations where you can put your horse and you can see there your bond level. It shouldn't be too long.

The game is the most open world there could be. So you will eventually, like this, get into areas that are a bit too hard. There is Impa's quest that you already have that is quite important to get early in the game (for story elements, you can go ahead and not do it right away but i still highly recommend.)

Yes, no horse will be registered to you if you don't go the those stations i was talking about. There is multiples ones across the land and you should find one by following trails. There is a few close to the left and right of the plateau. The horse will be indicated on the map after you register it and you can do other stuff like keep it at the station and take another one or call it from a moderately far distance and it will come to you by itself. 

Yes, it will get a lot better. You can cook stuff to help you regain stamina or help you go faster etc. So maybe try that in the early game. It's mainly to manage your ability to climb too much in early game.

I would finish with saying that the game does have some nostalgia elements but it is pretty impossible it is the reason people love it so much since the game literally exploded the franchise records of sales and many people played it as their first Zelda game. The game does get a bit to get used to it, it is also a pretty open and free game more based on exploration. You will find out some tricks and while you play and will understand it better. If not, it's okay. The game isn't perfect and there is elements i hope they polish in the sequel. But overall it is a really great experience and you should enjoy it i think. Don't bother getting all the seeds btw.

Thanks for all the info and tips!!

I just unlocked the memories mission, but it seemed like it would be tedious and boring to find all the locations. :/ Do you recommend doing it?

I went from the Great Plateau to West Necluda to the Mount Lanayru area. I was planning next to work on traveling to the Divine Beasts. Approaching the one furthest East soon.

Thanks for all the info about the horse/stables. Was wondering if the horse would eventually come to me. I kept calling it but the damn thing never came ha. 

I would say, you will probably go to most places where there is memories. A few you might miss completely but are still pretty easy to find just by looking at the picture. I would say that if you like narrative stuff, the game will be lacking a lot without it. But still keep in mind the story here, is in the past and the memories will be all over the place. So it is not a typical story that you follow every step but really just you remembering what happened. So you will need to link what happen by yourself and make some connections with journals you find or wathever. Which i don't really recommend reading everything in the game except maybe Impa's journals, and some stuff inside the castle. 

And now that you do have the quest for the memories, you can go where you want. Don't feel like you have to do every puzzles for korok seeds but i also don't really recommend rushing the game either.