Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Preorder Chart

curl-6 said:
Megiddo said:

It's actually not at all enough for a release on Switch to be profitable. It has to be more profitable and offer a higher return on investment than other options or ways that the time, staff, and money spent on the transition to Switch could take. 

There are tons of dedicated porting houses so it doesn't have to take much staff or resources from the source company at all, and clearly it is worth doing as we're in the Switch's 4th year now and we're still getting releases like Immortals Fenyx Rising, Outer Worlds, Ori & the Will of the Wisps, Sniper Elite 4, Doom Eternal, Crysis Remastered, Subnautica, World War Z, Atelier Ryza 2, etc plus full-on new exclusives upcoming like Monster Hunter Rise, MH Stories 2, Bravely Default II, Rune Factory 5, Shin Megami Tensei 5, etc.

If the myth that Switch owners don't buy third party games was true, then it'd be in the same position now as Wii U was in 2015/16 with no noteworthy third party support at all.

What's the release date on Doom Eternal? I didn't think it had one. Good to see late ports either way, I guess. Better late than never.

Otherwise, yeah, Atelier games were on 3DS. MegaTen games were on 3DS. Monster Hunter was on 3DS. Bravely Default was on 3DS. Rune Factory was on 3DS. So the Switch has more third party titles than the Wii U because there is no 3DS. The Switch is all there is.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
curl-6 said:

There are tons of dedicated porting houses so it doesn't have to take much staff or resources from the source company at all, and clearly it is worth doing as we're in the Switch's 4th year now and we're still getting releases like Immortals Fenyx Rising, Outer Worlds, Ori & the Will of the Wisps, Sniper Elite 4, Doom Eternal, Crysis Remastered, Subnautica, World War Z, Atelier Ryza 2, etc plus full-on new exclusives upcoming like Monster Hunter Rise, MH Stories 2, Bravely Default II, Rune Factory 5, Shin Megami Tensei 5, etc.

If the myth that Switch owners don't buy third party games was true, then it'd be in the same position now as Wii U was in 2015/16 with no noteworthy third party support at all.

What's the release date on Doom Eternal? I didn't think it had one. Good to see late ports either way, I guess. Better late than never.

Otherwise, yeah, Atelier games were on 3DS. MegaTen games were on 3DS. Monster Hunter was on 3DS. Bravely Default was on 3DS. Rune Factory was on 3DS. So the Switch has more third party titles than the Wii U because there is no 3DS. The Switch is all there is.

None of that alters the fact that Switch is still getting significant third party releasess, which wouldn't be happening if it wasn't viable and if Switch owners didn't buy third party games.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 October 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Megiddo said:

None of that alters the fact that Switch is still getting significant third party releasess, which wouldn't be happening if it wasn't viable and if Switch owners didn't buy third party games.

Alright. Now replace Switch with Stadia and read it. Do you still agree with your statement?

Megiddo said:
curl-6 said:

Alright. Now replace Switch with Stadia and read it. Do you still agree with your statement?

Not remotely an apples to apples comparison, Stadia's a service, not a console, and Google has vastly more money and are in a position where it's much more likely they'll be purchasing support. And maybe it is worthwhile for third parties to support Stadia, that is ultimately irrelevant to Switch owners buying third party games.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 October 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Megiddo said:
GProgrammer said:

I dont think people realize how unprofitable games genreally are, most games do not make a profit

While this is a true statement in a general sense, if including every video game ever published from the heydays of Newgrounds flash games to the modern Itch.io and the thousands upon thousands of mobile game clones, if you restrict it to video games with a retail/physical release then it's a decidedly false statement.

Im not including flash etc games, only proper video games. Currently I work for one of the largest 20 video game publishers and have worked for a few others over the last decade and a half.

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_failures_in_video_games

As a hit-driven business, the great majority of the video game industry's software releases have been commercial failures. In the early 21st century, industry commentators made these general estimates: 10% of published games generated 90% of revenue;[1] that around 3% of PC games and 15% of console games have global sales of more than 100,000 units per year, with even this level insufficient to make high-budget games profitable;[2] and that about 20% of games make any profit.

Look at the number of games here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games_(A%E2%80%93F)

How many of these 3rd party games have you even heard of?

I do agree with flash/mobile its even worse but it certainly is not release game on console = profit, I dont know if the figure is 20% games make a profit, all I know from my experience is its less than half actually make money

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
curl-6 said:

This has literally nothing to do with this thread. Last time i checked Stadia had zero presence on COMG!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

COMG! Japan Pre-Order Chart October 19, 2020

Rank Prev Console Game Total Change Days left Price Publisher
1 NSW Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! 60 +1 32 ¥6,300 Konami
2 NSW Monster Hunter Rise 47 +2 159 ¥7,990 Capcom
3 ⬆︎1 NSW Pikmin 3 Deluxe 36 +4 12 ¥5,980 Nintendo
4 ⬇︎1 PS4 Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster 33 0 11 ¥5,980 Atlus
5 NSW Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy 25 0 46 ¥7,800 Koei Tecmo
6 PS4 Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy 24 +1 46 ¥7,800 Koei Tecmo
7 PS4 Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster (LE) 23 0 11 ¥13,980 Atlus
8 ⬆︎1 NSW Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity 21 0 33 ¥7,920 Koei Tecmo
9 ⬆︎1 NSW Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster (LE) 21 0 11 ¥13,980 Atlus
10 ⬇︎2 NSW Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster 21 -1 11 ¥5,980 Atlus
11 PS4 Watch Dogs: Legion 18 +1 11 ¥8,400 Ubisoft
12 NSW Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy (LE) 14 0 46 ¥10,850 Koei Tecmo
13 PS4 Cyberpunk 2077 14 0 32 ¥7,980 Spike Chunsoft
14 PS4 Assassin's Creed Valhalla 10 0 23 ¥8,400 Ubisoft
15 PS4 Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War 8 0 26 ¥7,900 SIE
16 PS4 Kamen Rider: Memory of Heroez (LE) 8 0 11 ¥11,800 Bandai Namco
17 NSW Monster Hunter Rise (Double Pack) 7 0 159 ¥15,254 Capcom
18 NSW Zoids Wild: Infinity Blast (LE) 7 0 39 ¥8,980 Takara Tomy
19 NSW Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin 7 0 25 ¥4,980 Marvelous
20 NSW Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 5 0 117 ¥5,980 Nintendo

COMG! Japan Sales Chart October 19, 2020

Rank Prev Console Game Total Change Price Publisher
1 NSW Ring Fit Adventure 26 -1 ¥7,980 Nintendo
2 ⬆︎2 NSW Animal Crossing: New Horizons 19 -4 ¥5,980 Nintendo
3 ⬇︎1 NSW Super Mario 3D All-Stars 10 -15 ¥6,480 Nintendo
4 ⬆︎3 NSW Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 8 0 ¥7,200 Nintendo
5 NSW Minecraft 8 -2 ¥3,600 Microsoft
6 NEW NSW Yomi wo Saku Hana 7 0 ¥7,800 Experience
7 ⬇︎4 PS4 FIFA 21 6 -18 ¥7,909 Electronic Arts
8 NEW PS4 Yomi wo Saku Hana 6 0 ¥7,800 Experience
9 ⬇︎1 NSW Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 5 -3 ¥5,980 Nintendo
10 NEW NSW Moon: Remix RPG Adventure - Premium Edition 5 0 ¥8,000 Onion Games
11 NEW NSW Minecraft Dungeons Hero Edition 5 0 ¥3,600 Microsoft
12 ⬇︎6 NSW Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics 4 -5 ¥3,980 Nintendo
13 ⬆︎7 NSW The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 4 +1 ¥6,980 Nintendo
14 ⬇︎1 PS4 eFootball Winning Eleven 2021 Season Update 3 0 ¥3,980 Konami
15 ⬇︎4 PS4 Ghost of Tsushima 3 -1 ¥6,900 SIE
16 NEW PS4 Ys Origin 3 0 ¥5,800 3goo
17 ⬆︎2 NSW Super Mario Party 3 0 ¥5,980 Nintendo
18 NEW PS4 Mafia: Definitive Edition 2 0 ¥4,500 Take-Two
19 NEW NSW Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition 2 0 ¥4,800 Square Enix
20 NEW NSW Super Mario Maker 2 2 0 ¥5,980 Nintendo

Solid day for Pikmin 3, good to see. The rest of the releases that are ~10 days from release are not doing well at all though.

Will be interesting to see if Atelier Ryza 2 does better on Switch or PS4; the former has the advantage of being much more popular in Japan, but the PS base seems to have a strong preferences for these type of anime games.