Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Preorder Chart

COMG! Japan Pre-Order Chart October 17, 2020

Rank Prev Console Game Total Change Days left Price Publisher
1 NSW Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! 57 +1 34 ¥6,300 Konami
2 NSW Monster Hunter Rise 43 +1 161 ¥7,990 Capcom
3 PS4 Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster 33 +2 13 ¥5,980 Atlus
4 NSW Pikmin 3 Deluxe 30 +1 14 ¥5,980 Nintendo
5 NSW Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy 25 0 48 ¥7,800 Koei Tecmo
6 ⬆︎1 PS4 Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy 23 +1 48 ¥7,800 Koei Tecmo
7 ⬇︎1 PS4 Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster (LE) 23 0 13 ¥13,980 Atlus
8 NSW Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster 22 0 13 ¥5,980 Atlus
9 ⬆︎1 NSW Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity 21 +1 35 ¥7,920 Koei Tecmo
10 ⬇︎1 NSW Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster (LE) 21 0 13 ¥13,980 Atlus
11 PS4 Watch Dogs: Legion 17 0 13 ¥8,400 Ubisoft
12 NSW Atelier Ryza 2: Lost Legends & the Secret Fairy (LE) 14 0 48 ¥10,850 Koei Tecmo
13 PS4 Cyberpunk 2077 14 0 34 ¥7,980 Spike Chunsoft
14 PS4 Assassin's Creed Valhalla 10 0 25 ¥8,400 Ubisoft
15 PS4 Kamen Rider: Memory of Heroez (LE) 8 0 13 ¥11,800 Bandai Namco
16 NSW Monster Hunter Rise (Double Pack) 7 0 161 ¥15,254 Capcom
17 PS4 Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War 7 0 28 ¥7,900 SIE
18 NSW Zoids Wild: Infinity Blast (LE) 7 0 41 ¥8,980 Takara Tomy
19 NSW Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin 7 0 27 ¥4,980 Marvelous
20 NEW NSW Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury 4 0 119 ¥5,980 Nintendo

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
Farsala said:

While it is decent, I think this shows why the trend is towards PC for many publishers including MS and Sony.

Bad example, since the series started out as PC exclusive and until this game, CDPR was very PC-centric.

I more looking at the trend of Consoles winning at first, but the tail end being very PC centric by beating all consoles combined the last 3 years.

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)

11 Days - 24 pts.

10 Days - 26 pts. (+2)

9 Days - 29 pts. (+3)

8 Days - 35 pts. (+6)

7 Days - (Missing)

6 Days - 43 pts. (+8)

5 Days - 51 pts. (+8)

4 Days - 55 pts. (+4)

3 Days - 59 pts. (+4)

2 Days - 66 pts. (+7)

Last Day - 70 pts. (+4)

Launch: 99.588

Welcome aboard Bowser's fury.

Minecraft is basically the only game that has a shot at rivalling MH Rise for best selling third party title on Switch I reckon.
I'm sure plenty of other thirds will do well, but portable MH is a colossus in Japan, and the IP's never been more popular in the West thanks to World. Provided they give it a proper advertising push both in Japan and abroad, its potential is immense.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Every time people point out the fallacy of the "third parties don't sell on Nintendo" myth, someone always jumps in with "b-but they sell more on Playstation!"

This is frankly irrelevant. "On par with PS" is not the benchmark for successful sales. Games can sell 1 million on Switch and still be a success, as long as it is profitable.

Given that third party support on Switch is not only continuing but increasing in its fourth year on the market, it's pretty clear that the third parties that have bothered to make an effort are indeed seeing success on Switch.

A fallacy? Well here is the latest NPD switch software sales from last month.

How can you say its a fallacy when the data proves it is not.

My game company knows this and thats why the title we are working on won't be coming to the Switch, just Pc, Ps4,5, Xbox one, Series x/s.

Theres also the fact that porting to switch requires more time than one of the other platforms, if we were also releasing for Xbox 360 and Ps3 then it would be much easier porting but we are not. There wouldn't be enough sales to justify the expense of porting to it.

Some 3rd party games do good or OK on the switch but they are generally exceptions

GProgrammer said:
curl-6 said:

Every time people point out the fallacy of the "third parties don't sell on Nintendo" myth, someone always jumps in with "b-but they sell more on Playstation!"

This is frankly irrelevant. "On par with PS" is not the benchmark for successful sales. Games can sell 1 million on Switch and still be a success, as long as it is profitable.

Given that third party support on Switch is not only continuing but increasing in its fourth year on the market, it's pretty clear that the third parties that have bothered to make an effort are indeed seeing success on Switch.

My game company knows this and thats why the title we are working on won't be coming to switch, just pc,ps4,5, xbox one, series x/s.

Theres also the fact that porting to switch requires more time than one of the other platforms, if we were also releasing for xbox 360 and ps3 then it would be much easier porting but we are not. There wouldn't be enough sales to justify the expense of porting to it.

Some 3rd party games do good or OK on the switch but they are generally exceptions

That doesn't prove any such thing; again, you're not actually addressing the original premise.

Nobody said first party games don't sell better. That is not the benchmark for success. Third parties do not need to sell as much as Nintendo's games to be successful, all they need to do is be profitable, and again, the fact they're still being brought over in the system's 4th year proves its worth doing. They would've all stopped by now, like with Wii U, if it wasn't worth doing.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 October 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

GProgrammer said:
curl-6 said:

My game company knows this and thats why the title we are working on won't be coming to the Switch, just Pc, Ps4,5, Xbox one, Series x/s.

Theres also the fact that porting to switch requires more time than one of the other platforms, if we were also releasing for Xbox 360 and Ps3 then it would be much easier porting but we are not. There wouldn't be enough sales to justify the expense of porting to it.

lol

German YouTuber and Streamer:

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon 2020 thread

GProgrammer said:
curl-6 said:

OK, show me a single 3rd party game that deserves to be in that top 10. 

GProgrammer said:
curl-6 said:

Apart from the fact that you're showing NPD data (which is physical only on case of Nintendo, while the monthly eShop sales consist mostly of 3rd party games, especially indie titles), can you name s single 3rd party game that released in the last months on the Switch that warrants a spot on the list?