By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-Order Chart

Megiddo said:

curl-6 said:

Nobody said first party games don't sell better. That is not the benchmark for success. Third parties do not need to sell as much as Nintendo's games to be successful, all they need to do is be profitable, and again, the fact they're still being brought over in the system's 4th year proves its worth doing.

It's actually not at all enough for a release on Switch to be profitable. It has to be more profitable and offer a higher return on investment than other options or ways that the time, staff, and money spent on the transition to Switch could take. 

I dont think people realize how unprofitable games genreally are, most games do not make a profit. I've even worked on more than a couple that never made money, and to be honest I'm not even sure if the current title will, 3/4 of the workforce are working from home due to Covid, We are already 5-6 months behind schedule and we only started 12 months ago. Studios will use the profits from a smash profitable game to make up for the other games that lost money.

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:
Megiddo said:

It's actually not at all enough for a release on Switch to be profitable. It has to be more profitable and offer a higher return on investment than other options or ways that the time, staff, and money spent on the transition to Switch could take. 

I dont think people realize how unprofitable games genreally are, most games do not make a profit

While this is a true statement in a general sense, if including every video game ever published from the heydays of Newgrounds flash games to the modern Itch.io and the thousands upon thousands of mobile game clones, if you restrict it to video games with a retail/physical release then it's a decidedly false statement.

GProgrammer said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Apart from the fact that you're showing NPD data (which is physical only on case of Nintendo, while the monthly eShop sales consist mostly of 3rd party games, especially indie titles), can you name s single 3rd party game that released in the last months on the Switch that warrants a spot on the list?

A lot of these Nintendo games are from years ago, and they are still make up the top 10 above more recent 3rd party games and like you say these Nintendo games are only Physical sales, yet still they are outselling 3rd party which are physical and digital. I think you have just proven my point

Only because you didn't answer the question: What was released lately that was worth showing up in the charts? You really need to go a couple months back to find something, and considering games from third party publishers are in 99% of the cases very frontloaded, they don't have a chance to show up anymore by this point in time.

Also, again, you're talking about the US sales on the japanese preorder chart, where you can see several third party titles charting in front of Nintendo's own titles or any PS4 titles, disproving your point already right there.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
GProgrammer said:

A lot of these Nintendo games are from years ago, and they are still make up the top 10 above more recent 3rd party games and like you say these Nintendo games are only Physical sales, yet still they are outselling 3rd party which are physical and digital. I think you have just proven my point

Only because you didn't answer the question: What was released lately that was worth showing up in the charts? You really need to go a couple months back to find something, and considering games from third party publishers are in 99% of the cases very frontloaded, they don't have a chance to show up anymore by this point in time.

Also, again, you're talking about the US sales on the japanese preorder chart, where you can see several third party titles charting in front of Nintendo's own titles or any PS4 titles, disproving your point already right there.

You want a third to sell likewise Nintendo, besides Minecraft and Rockstar, what else company has so strong single SKU on market? Pokemon level? Mario 2D level? Zelda BotW level? Animal Crossing Level? Mario Kart level?

And take the tier level below that, you have one or two games by Sony, EA with Fifa, COD, Skyrim and, maybe, Monster Hunter World. Fifa is a legacy game on Switch, CoD never launch on the system( besides sells more than one million on Wii and DS). 

Slow Saturday today.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:

curl-6 said:

Nobody said first party games don't sell better. That is not the benchmark for success. Third parties do not need to sell as much as Nintendo's games to be successful, all they need to do is be profitable, and again, the fact they're still being brought over in the system's 4th year proves its worth doing.

There are tons of dedicated porting houses so it doesn't have to take much staff or resources from the source company at all, and clearly it is worth doing as we're in the Switch's 4th year now and we're still getting releases like Immortals Fenyx Rising, Outer Worlds, Ori & the Will of the Wisps, Sniper Elite 4, Doom Eternal, Crysis Remastered, Subnautica, World War Z, Atelier Ryza 2, etc plus full-on new exclusives upcoming like Monster Hunter Rise, MH Stories 2, Bravely Default II, Rune Factory 5, Shin Megami Tensei 5, etc.

If the myth that Switch owners don't buy third party games was true, then it'd be in the same position now as Wii U was in 2015/16 with no noteworthy third party support at all.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 October 2020

Hades (aside from the Mario collection) was most likely the biggest selling game on switch last month but that won’t show up on the npds lol

curl-6 said:
Megiddo said:

There are tons of dedicated porting houses so it doesn't have to take much staff or resources from the source company at all, and clearly it is worth doing as we're in the Switch's 4th year now and we're still getting releases like Immortals Fenyx Rising, Outer Worlds, Ori & the Will of the Wisps, Sniper Elite 4, Doom Eternal, Crysis Remastered, Subnautica, World War Z, Atelier Ryza 2, etc plus full-on new exclusives upcoming like Monster Hunter Rise, MH Stories 2, Bravely Default II, Rune Factory 5, Shin Megami Tensei 5, etc.

If the myth that Switch owners don't buy third party games was true, then it'd be in the same position now as Wii U was in 2015/16 with no noteworthy third party support at all.

What's the release date on Doom Eternal? I didn't think it had one. Good to see late ports either way, I guess. Better late than never.

Otherwise, yeah, Atelier games were on 3DS. MegaTen games were on 3DS. Monster Hunter was on 3DS. Bravely Default was on 3DS. Rune Factory was on 3DS. So the Switch has more third party titles than the Wii U because there is no 3DS. The Switch is all there is.

Megiddo said:
curl-6 said:

What's the release date on Doom Eternal? I didn't think it had one. Good to see late ports either way, I guess. Better late than never.

Otherwise, yeah, Atelier games were on 3DS. MegaTen games were on 3DS. Monster Hunter was on 3DS. Bravely Default was on 3DS. Rune Factory was on 3DS. So the Switch has more third party titles than the Wii U because there is no 3DS. The Switch is all there is.

None of that alters the fact that Switch is still getting significant third party releasess, which wouldn't be happening if it wasn't viable and if Switch owners didn't buy third party games.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 October 2020

curl-6 said:
Megiddo said:

None of that alters the fact that Switch is still getting significant third party releasess, which wouldn't be happening if it wasn't viable and if Switch owners didn't buy third party games.

Alright. Now replace Switch with Stadia and read it. Do you still agree with your statement?