By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-Order Chart

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Farsala said:

While it is decent, I think this shows why the trend is towards PC for many publishers including MS and Sony.

Bad example, since the series started out as PC exclusive and until this game, CDPR was very PC-centric.

I more looking at the trend of Consoles winning at first, but the tail end being very PC centric by beating all consoles combined the last 3 years.

Around the Network

Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)

11 Days - 24 pts.

10 Days - 26 pts. (+2)

9 Days - 29 pts. (+3)

8 Days - 35 pts. (+6)

7 Days - (Missing)

6 Days - 43 pts. (+8)

5 Days - 51 pts. (+8)

4 Days - 55 pts. (+4)

3 Days - 59 pts. (+4)

2 Days - 66 pts. (+7)

Last Day - 70 pts. (+4)

Launch: 99.588

Welcome aboard Bowser's fury.

Minecraft is basically the only game that has a shot at rivalling MH Rise for best selling third party title on Switch I reckon.
I'm sure plenty of other thirds will do well, but portable MH is a colossus in Japan, and the IP's never been more popular in the West thanks to World. Provided they give it a proper advertising push both in Japan and abroad, its potential is immense.

curl-6 said:

Every time people point out the fallacy of the "third parties don't sell on Nintendo" myth, someone always jumps in with "b-but they sell more on Playstation!"

This is frankly irrelevant. "On par with PS" is not the benchmark for successful sales. Games can sell 1 million on Switch and still be a success, as long as it is profitable.

Given that third party support on Switch is not only continuing but increasing in its fourth year on the market, it's pretty clear that the third parties that have bothered to make an effort are indeed seeing success on Switch.

A fallacy? Well here is the latest NPD switch software sales from last month.

How can you say its a fallacy when the data proves it is not.

My game company knows this and thats why the title we are working on won't be coming to the Switch, just Pc, Ps4,5, Xbox one, Series x/s.

Theres also the fact that porting to switch requires more time than one of the other platforms, if we were also releasing for Xbox 360 and Ps3 then it would be much easier porting but we are not. There wouldn't be enough sales to justify the expense of porting to it.

Some 3rd party games do good or OK on the switch but they are generally exceptions

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:
curl-6 said:

Every time people point out the fallacy of the "third parties don't sell on Nintendo" myth, someone always jumps in with "b-but they sell more on Playstation!"

This is frankly irrelevant. "On par with PS" is not the benchmark for successful sales. Games can sell 1 million on Switch and still be a success, as long as it is profitable.

Given that third party support on Switch is not only continuing but increasing in its fourth year on the market, it's pretty clear that the third parties that have bothered to make an effort are indeed seeing success on Switch.

My game company knows this and thats why the title we are working on won't be coming to switch, just pc,ps4,5, xbox one, series x/s.

Theres also the fact that porting to switch requires more time than one of the other platforms, if we were also releasing for xbox 360 and ps3 then it would be much easier porting but we are not. There wouldn't be enough sales to justify the expense of porting to it.

Some 3rd party games do good or OK on the switch but they are generally exceptions

That doesn't prove any such thing; again, you're not actually addressing the original premise.

Nobody said first party games don't sell better. That is not the benchmark for success. Third parties do not need to sell as much as Nintendo's games to be successful, all they need to do is be profitable, and again, the fact they're still being brought over in the system's 4th year proves its worth doing. They would've all stopped by now, like with Wii U, if it wasn't worth doing.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 October 2020

GProgrammer said:
curl-6 said:

My game company knows this and thats why the title we are working on won't be coming to the Switch, just Pc, Ps4,5, Xbox one, Series x/s.

Theres also the fact that porting to switch requires more time than one of the other platforms, if we were also releasing for Xbox 360 and Ps3 then it would be much easier porting but we are not. There wouldn't be enough sales to justify the expense of porting to it.

OK, show me a single 3rd party game that deserves to be in that top 10. 

GProgrammer said:
curl-6 said:

Apart from the fact that you're showing NPD data (which is physical only on case of Nintendo, while the monthly eShop sales consist mostly of 3rd party games, especially indie titles), can you name s single 3rd party game that released in the last months on the Switch that warrants a spot on the list?

curl-6 said:

Nobody said first party games don't sell better. That is not the benchmark for success. Third parties do not need to sell as much as Nintendo's games to be successful, all they need to do is be profitable, and again, the fact they're still being brought over in the system's 4th year proves its worth doing.

It's actually not at all enough for a release on Switch to be profitable. It has to be more profitable and offer a higher return on investment than other options or ways that the time, staff, and money spent on the transition to Switch could take. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Apart from the fact that you're showing NPD data (which is physical only on case of Nintendo, while the monthly eShop sales consist mostly of 3rd party games, especially indie titles), can you name s single 3rd party game that released in the last months on the Switch that warrants a spot on the list?

A lot of these Nintendo games are from years ago, and they are still make up the top 10 above more recent 3rd party games and like you say these Nintendo games are only Physical sales, yet still they are outselling 3rd party which are physical and digital. I think you have just proven my point