By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - COMG! Japan Pre-Order Chart

Bofferbrauer2 said:

But, but... 3rd party gamez don't sell on Switch...

Perhaps Monster Hunger Rise will be the first non Nintendo game to break it into the top 10 but I wouldn't hold my breath

The facts show compared to the other platforms, 3rd party games don't seem to do as well on the Switch, easy to see this in the financial statements from EA, Activison, Ubisoft etc etc etc

eg vgchartz had a news story a couple of days ago about the lastest weekly sales number from the UK. With FIFA 21

62 percent PlayStation 4

|

|

V

36 percent Xbox One

|

|

|

|

|

V

2 percent Switch

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

But, but... 3rd party gamez don't sell on Switch...

Perhaps Monster Hunger Rise will be the first non Nintendo game to break it into the top 10 but I wouldn't hold my breath

The facts show compared to the other platforms, 3rd party games don't seem to do as well on the Switch, easy to see this in the financial statements from EA, Activison, Ubisoft etc etc etc

eg vgchartz had a news story a couple of days ago about the lastest weekly sales number from the UK. With FIFA 21

62 percent PlayStation 4

|

|

V

36 percent Xbox One

|

|

|

|

|

V

2 percent Switch

legacy version and you want the same sales? EA and Activision treat Nintendo's public like second-tier consumers. Ubisoft has the  best selling SKU on Nintendo console. 

Witcher 3, good port, do good things.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2055024507039/the-witcher-3-for-switch-drove-a-70-increase-in-half-year-revenue-for-cd-projekt-red-in-2020

Witcher 3 sold like 3% of its total copies on Switch, lol.

Megiddo said:

is an old port and the major driver sales now. lol

read the news

Pikmin 3 has been doing alright on the charts, maybe it will do good.

Around the Network

Every time people point out the fallacy of the "third parties don't sell on Nintendo" myth, someone always jumps in with "b-but they sell more on Playstation!"

This is frankly irrelevant. "On par with PS" is not the benchmark for successful sales. Games can sell 1 million on Switch and still be a success, as long as it is profitable.

Given that third party support on Switch is not only continuing but increasing in its fourth year on the market, it's pretty clear that the third parties that have bothered to make an effort are indeed seeing success on Switch.

Megiddo said:

Reaching 3% when the game came out almost 5 years earlier on PC and the other consoles ( original release was in Spring 2015) and had sold almost 28M copies before it's release on the Switch (CDPR reported 28M sold by end of 2019, the Switch version came out in late October last year).

Also, 3% of 28M is already almost a million sales. Not too shabby for such a late port...

I think when you put sales of Witcher 3 on the Switch it into the context that it sold as much as the XBOX1 version and almost have the PS4's in 2019, it's actually quite good, especially that it was full price at that point. 

kopstudent89 said:

I think when you put sales of Witcher 3 on the Switch it into the context that it sold as much as the XBOX1 version and almost have the PS4's in 2019, it's actually quite good, especially that it was full price at that point. 

While it is decent, I think this shows why the trend is towards PC for many publishers including MS and Sony.

Farsala said:
kopstudent89 said:

While it is decent, I think this shows why the trend is towards PC for many publishers including MS and Sony.

Bad example, since the series started out as PC exclusive and until this game, CDPR was very PC-centric.