By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

HoangNhatAnh said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Xenoblade 2 Torna already had assets to work with from the previous game and it is a lower quality project productionwise,why do you even compare the timeframes of such fully different games.

Also this is still a remake and does not matter how many times you say it is something else,it does not have to be extremely traditional to the source product.

Except there is no jrpg remake which changed completely the main story like this, the final villain could become an antihero, an ally in the next part and fighting together against a new villain. A remake could change the graphic, art style, battle system, music, add a lot more contents or whatever except the main plot. All JRPG remakes existed so far have changed a lot of things but not the story. FFVIIR did it, mean it's not a remake anymore, changing the major plot = rebooting the story.

Try to get this: I does not matter how other remakes were done,that does not change that this is a remake.

Bolded: Wrong,it still uses that same story with the same cast and some things left out or some adding does not make this a reboot.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Except there is no jrpg remake which changed completely the main story like this, the final villain could become an antihero, an ally in the next part and fighting together against a new villain. A remake could change the graphic, art style, battle system, music, add a lot more contents or whatever except the main plot. All JRPG remakes existed so far have changed a lot of things but not the story. FFVIIR did it, mean it's not a remake anymore, changing the major plot = rebooting the story.

Try to get this: I does not matter how other remakes were done,that does not change that this is a remake.

Bolded: Wrong,it still uses that same story with the same cast and some things left out or some adding does not make this a reboot.

I mean, if you don't want to use the correct word that has been used for decades to define a new take on a certain IP that resets the original story (reboot)... you are free to do so. But don't try to argue with other people about it. Because you are wrong. If every freaking remake in the history of remakes has been done in a certain way... then if there comes a product that does not adjust to those traits, but to those of another type of recreation (a reboot... maybe a reimagining if we want to stretch things), then that thing by definition is NOT A REMAKE. It's a reboot.

deskpro2k3 said:
Vodacixi said:

I've read about 20ish international reviews of the game ranging from 90 to 60 on Metacritic (I'm ignoring the 100 reviews because they don't have anything bad to say about the game... and it clearly has. Even outside of the story department). As for the topic we are discussing, the feeling is quite diverse. A few recognize the issue, but are curious to see how things play out in the end. Some recognize the issue and don't know how to feel about the changes. Some are directly bothered by the direction the story took in the end. And the vast majority play safe and instead of taking a position for good or bad, warn their readers about how this may like some and absolutely disgust others. As for the players... well, this is a hot topic in lots of sites. Many people are concearned.

In the end, while there are a lot of people that definetely like the changes, there are also a lot of people who don't like the changes or at the very least admit that there is an issue that might bother people. Why? Because as I said, Square Enix tricked people into buying something that wasn't what they promised. People expected to revisit FF VII story. They won't. Some might not be bothered  by this. But some obviosuly will. It is what it is, however you might feel personally.

And no. This game does not reimagine the story of FF VII. This game acknowledges said story and literally restarts it at certain point to tell a different one. It's literally restarting (rebooting) the story. There is no way around it.

But as I said, it doesn't matter the word you pick. Reimagine or reboot, either way is not a remake.

I understand that you feel betrayed or feel tricked, but you got to remember back in 2015, when they said the Remake will be a multipart series, and that the first game will be set in Midgar. Everyone was under the false impression that it'll be a 5hr game, but later in that same year SE confirmed that each part will be comparable to a full Final Fantasy game. Midgar alone being the first part of a 30-40hr game is one big confirmation that the story is expanded upon, and in other words, changed. When you put 1 and 1 together you get 2. It shouldn't come as a surprise. What surprised me was how cool the changes are, it's unfortunate some don't feel the same.

As we have already told you multiple times, one thing is introducing changes and additions that expand upon the original story to flesh out characters, expand the lore and add more context to what happened. That's how remakes work and I think all of us expected such things to happen because... well, it's a remake, we have all seen the trailers, the developers told that they wanted to do that... etc.

But literally taking the original story and restart it by changing absolutely everything and turn it into another different plot... that's definetely not something people could have expected, because there was no indication that something like that would happen. It goes against what makes a remake and it goes against what Square Enix sold to people: reviving the story of FF VII better than ever.

Vodacixi said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I understand that you feel betrayed or feel tricked, but you got to remember back in 2015, when they said the Remake will be a multipart series, and that the first game will be set in Midgar. Everyone was under the false impression that it'll be a 5hr game, but later in that same year SE confirmed that each part will be comparable to a full Final Fantasy game. Midgar alone being the first part of a 30-40hr game is one big confirmation that the story is expanded upon, and in other words, changed. When you put 1 and 1 together you get 2. It shouldn't come as a surprise. What surprised me was how cool the changes are, it's unfortunate some don't feel the same.

As we have already told you multiple times, one thing is introducing changes and additions that expand upon the original story to flesh out characters, expand the lore and add more context to what happened. That's how remakes work and I think all of us expected such things to happen because... well, it's a remake, we have all seen the trailers, the developers told that they wanted to do that... etc.

But literally taking the original story and restart it by changing absolutely everything and turn it into another different plot... that's definetely not something people could have expected, because there was no indication that something like that would happen. It goes against what makes a remake and it goes against what Square Enix sold to people: reviving the story of FF VII better than ever.

You seem to be morbidly possessed by this game.

Are you interested in something different ?

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Vodacixi said:

I'm interested in many things. However, if people keep responding me on this thread, I'll keep up the discussion until we arrive to some conclussion. Or until I'm tired of the topic, whathever happens first.

Now, allow me to ask you something. Why are you so bothered about people saying that the game is not what was promised? It seems like you are taking this very personally... and I can't quite understand why. You even try to downplay people by saying thay they don't even like FF or JRPGs in general. Who do you think you are to tell people what they like or what they don't?

Around the Network
Vodacixi said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I'm interested in many things. However, if people keep responding me on this thread, I'll keep up the discussion until we arrive to some conclussion. Or until I'm tired of the topic, whathever happens first.

Now, allow me to ask you something. Why are you so bothered about people saying that the game is not what was promised? It seems like you are taking this very personally... and I can't quite understand why. You even try to downplay people by saying thay they don't even like FF or JRPGs in general. Who do you think you are to tell people what they like or what they don't?

What do you think was promised? And what are your sources?

From what I’m getting so far here is that some people have a hard time knowing what remake means, and pass their pre-conception and misunderstanding of the word as established facts, and the rest is pretty much nothing more than wishes on their part. 

Hynad said:
Vodacixi said:

What do you think was promised? And what are your sources?

From what I’m getting so far here is that some people have a hard time knowing what remake means, and pass their pre-conception and misunderstanding of the word as established facts, and the rest is pretty much nothing more than wishes on their part. 

We have this . And this. And... this. Just to name a few instances (I could be all day gathering quotes and interviews from developers and Square Enix themselves) in which it was said that the story, while introducing changes and expand upon the 1997 game, was going to keep the major plot intact and be faithful to it. So, there you have it.

From what I gather, you guys are so hyped for Final Fantasy VII Remake that you refuse to see what is going on. That's fine, but don't drag everyone else to your world of lies.

Leynos said:
Runa216 said:

Honestly, are there people out there who literally just wanted the same exact plot over again? 

Well,yeah since they marketed it as a REMAKE and not a reboot. They lied to people about what it is. Even Carefully giving out a demo that feels like the original game modernized.

but we knew basically from day one that the combat system was going to be entirely changed. how can it be a remake if the gameplay is a completely different genre?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

JWeinCom said:
Runa216 said:

I've been generally avoiding spoilers, but I'm personally SUPER excited to see what changes are made and how the story and characters are altered. I still have the original FFVII in all its glory, that continuity is never going away. to me, this is an AU version of the same story but with a different plot (as in, same themes, same characters, same world, different series of events). That's what I expected, that's what I wanted from day one, and it sounds like that's what I'm getting. 

Honestly, are there people out there who literally just wanted the same exact plot over again? 

Yes.  Yes there are.  That's why people wanted to buy a remake, because that's generally what remakes are.

There are also people like you who would like a different story, and good for them.  And if that's what Square wanted to make, good for them too.  But they should have been clear on that from the start. 

between that and the fact that the gameplay (action RPG) is completely changed from the original (turn-Based RPG) should have been another hint that this is not truly a 'remake' in the traditional sense. Considering all the changes they said would be present right from the get-go, I think it's fair to say that SOME people are just being pedantic about story-based changes. 

some people just like to complain! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

HoangNhatAnh said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Yeah, and apparently some are oblivious to it. SE said it clearly from the very beginning that the story will be expanded, and Midgar will be the first game of a multipart series. That alone is enough to figure out that the Remake is not 1:1 with the original. Can't elaborate any clearer than that.

expand = adding more contents to the original story

FFVIIR = changing completely some major plots of the original story

When remaking a story/game, changes might be necessary. Maybe there's a better way to do something, a more reasonable change to the plot, a more realistic sequence of events? I'm just saying, don't go into ANY remake or remaster or reimagining or whatever you wanna call this expecting the exact same thing. If they were just giving us the exact same thing with prettier graphics, then seriously what is the point? the remaster we got on PS4/Switch was that. This is a whole other thing and I thought it was super obvious from day one that there would be alterations to the game's fundamentals. 

I find it utterly baffling that people are upset that a game that's so far removed from the original in terms of gameplay and presentation would also have significant changes to the plot. From my perspective - and the perspective of most people who write - changes like that are inevitable. 

Look at the MCU: lots of changes from the source material, doing different things to get to many of the same places. and look how much money those movies make. Look at the reviews those films receive. they're good not because of the adherence to the source material, but because of the original things they do and the unique ways they do them. 

If you wanna judge the remake based 100% on how strictly adheres to the original's plot, then you do you. I'll be over here in reality where changes to an adaptation are a fundamental part of the adaptation process. they're par for the course. Virtually necessary to the creative process. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX