By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

Runa216 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I understand that you feel betrayed or feel tricked, but you got to remember back in 2015, when they said the Remake will be a multipart series, and that the first game will be set in Midgar. Everyone was under the false impression that it'll be a 5hr game, but later in that same year SE confirmed that each part will be comparable to a full Final Fantasy game. Midgar alone being the first part of a 30-40hr game is one big confirmation that the story is expanded upon, and in other words, changed. When you put 1 and 1 together you get 2. It shouldn't come as a surprise. What surprised me was how cool the changes are, it's unfortunate some don't feel the same.

I've been generally avoiding spoilers, but I'm personally SUPER excited to see what changes are made and how the story and characters are altered. I still have the original FFVII in all its glory, that continuity is never going away. to me, this is an AU version of the same story but with a different plot (as in, same themes, same characters, same world, different series of events). That's what I expected, that's what I wanted from day one, and it sounds like that's what I'm getting. 

Honestly, are there people out there who literally just wanted the same exact plot over again? 

Yeah, and apparently some are oblivious to it. SE said it clearly from the very beginning that the story will be expanded, and Midgar will be the first game of a multipart series. That alone is enough to figure out that the Remake is not 1:1 with the original. Can't elaborate any clearer than that.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 08 April 2020

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Runa216 said:

I've been generally avoiding spoilers, but I'm personally SUPER excited to see what changes are made and how the story and characters are altered. I still have the original FFVII in all its glory, that continuity is never going away. to me, this is an AU version of the same story but with a different plot (as in, same themes, same characters, same world, different series of events). That's what I expected, that's what I wanted from day one, and it sounds like that's what I'm getting. 

Honestly, are there people out there who literally just wanted the same exact plot over again? 

Yeah, and apparently some are oblivious to it. SE said it clearly from the very beginning that the story will be expanded, and Midgar will be the first game. That alone is enough to figure out that the Remake is not 1:1 with the original. Can't elaborate any clearer than that. 

I think expansion is ok for most people, doubts begin when there's heavy deviation from the original material, which is what this first part poses for the next ones. Now, I'm certainly talking out of my ass there, as that's just pure conjecture, we need to see the followups in action first. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

deskpro2k3 said:
Vodacixi said:

I've read about 20ish international reviews of the game ranging from 90 to 60 on Metacritic (I'm ignoring the 100 reviews because they don't have anything bad to say about the game... and it clearly has. Even outside of the story department). As for the topic we are discussing, the feeling is quite diverse. A few recognize the issue, but are curious to see how things play out in the end. Some recognize the issue and don't know how to feel about the changes. Some are directly bothered by the direction the story took in the end. And the vast majority play safe and instead of taking a position for good or bad, warn their readers about how this may like some and absolutely disgust others. As for the players... well, this is a hot topic in lots of sites. Many people are concearned.

In the end, while there are a lot of people that definetely like the changes, there are also a lot of people who don't like the changes or at the very least admit that there is an issue that might bother people. Why? Because as I said, Square Enix tricked people into buying something that wasn't what they promised. People expected to revisit FF VII story. They won't. Some might not be bothered  by this. But some obviosuly will. It is what it is, however you might feel personally.

And no. This game does not reimagine the story of FF VII. This game acknowledges said story and literally restarts it at certain point to tell a different one. It's literally restarting (rebooting) the story. There is no way around it.

But as I said, it doesn't matter the word you pick. Reimagine or reboot, either way is not a remake.

I understand that you feel betrayed or feel tricked, but you got to remember back in 2015, when they said the Remake will be a multipart series, and that the first game will be set in Midgar. Everyone was under the false impression that it'll be a 5hr game, but later in that same year SE confirmed that each part will be comparable to a full Final Fantasy game. Midgar alone being the first part of a 30-40hr game is one big confirmation that the story is expanded upon, and in other words, changed. When you put 1 and 1 together you get 2. It shouldn't come as a surprise. What surprised me was how cool the changes are, it's unfortunate some don't feel the same.

Dude, Xenoblade 2 Torna is an add on story which cost only $30 and took 30 hours or more to complete everything. This game also took almost the same time frame to complete yet cost twice as much? WOW.

Runa216 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

The FFVII story was very well made that many people want to enjoy it again but in modern hardware with modern graphic. Name me an example of a JRPG remake that changed completely the major plot of the original game. Is there any???

deskpro2k3 said:
Runa216 said:

Yeah, and apparently some are oblivious to it. SE said it clearly from the very beginning that the story will be expanded, and Midgar will be the first game of a multipart series. That alone is enough to figure out that the Remake is not 1:1 with the original. Can't elaborate any clearer than that.

expand = adding more contents to the original story

FFVIIR = changing completely some major plots of the original story

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Dude, Xenoblade 2 Torna is an add on story which cost only $30 and took 30 hours or more to complete everything. This game also took almost the same time frame to complete yet cost twice as much? WOW.

Xenoblade 2 Torna already had assets to work with from the previous game and it is a lower quality project productionwise,why do you even compare the timeframes of such fully different games.

Also this is still a remake and does not matter how many times you say it is something else,it does not have to be extremely traditional to the source product.

Immersiveunreality said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Xenoblade 2 Torna already had assets to work with from the previous game and it is a lower quality project productionwise,why do you even compare the timeframes of such fully different games.

Also this is still a remake and does not matter how many times you say it is something else,it does not have to be extremely traditional to the source product.

Can you think of any other products that are labelled or marketed as remakes that deviate further from the source material?  When an average person purchases a product marketed as a remake would you say they expect the product to deviate as much as this one did?

JWeinCom said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Can you think of any other products that are labelled or marketed as remakes that deviate further from the source material?  When an average person purchases a product marketed as a remake would you say they expect the product to deviate as much as this one did?

Other games or products do also not dictate what a remake is,i'm not saying they should not have been clearer but it remains a remake.

I'm arguing that people call it something it is not just because it upsets them.

Immersiveunreality said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Except there is no jrpg remake which changed completely the main story like this, the final villain could become an antihero, an ally in the next part and fighting together against a new villain. A remake could change the graphic, art style, battle system, music, add a lot more contents or whatever except the main plot. All JRPG remakes existed so far have changed a lot of things but not the story. FFVIIR did it, mean it's not a remake anymore, changing the major plot = rebooting the story.

Immersiveunreality said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Torna looked better than 2 graphically as it used a new rendering engine.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!