By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake Review Thread - Current 88 Metacritic / 89 Opencritic

Vodacixi said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I understand some people think the changes are too extreme, but I think they should look past that. Even without changes I think my opinion won't change. I'm actually more interested in where SE is going with part 2 now because of it.

You still don't get it. It's not about the changes. It's about selling a remake, playing with people feelings about reviving the story of one of their favourite games ever... when you're throwing all of that through the window and doing a reboot. And YES, IT'S A REBOOT. The original story is no more. They, quite literally, killed the ties with the original story. It's not like the remake of KH Chain of Memories where certain guy dies burned alive instead of just backstabed like in the original GBA game, but then everything proceeds as normal. No, this is like making a remake of A New Hope and suddenly making Obi Wan kill Darth Vader on the Death Star. That's not a remake: that's a reboot. You are restarting the original curse of history. Remakes don't do that.

Ok in that case you can say part 1 is indeed a reboot, but it falls in that grey area where you can say it's reimagining. I seriously don't see it as a bad thing lol.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
thismeintiel said:

Well, you're in for the shock of your life if you think this "remake" is going to take you down the same overall path as the OG game.  There's a reason people are talking about KH's BS being put into the game.  And because of that BS, it is more like a sequel that's trying to reboot the story of the OG game, a la Genisys.

Then this game isn't a remake, either.

And sure, the main plot points stay the same.  Well, until they don't and the whole thing takes a nosedive off the OG FF7 rails and changes EVERYTHING in a big way.  In a very bad way.

I'm not expecting to go through the same path. If I were expecting it I wouldn't buy any of the FF7R games as SE said over 2 years ago that things are going to be different.

No, what SE said is that this will be a "very faithful," but expanded remake.  They lied.  This is a reboot, using the name remake to sucker people into buying the game because they were expecting something similar to the OG game's plot.  SE has now officially destroyed those expectations with the last parts of this game and can go in whatever direction they want with the story.  Again, this is a reboot, not remake.  How anyone can make excuses for their blatant false advertising is beyond me.

Alright I caved and read the spoilers and it does sound like Nomura has gone and fucked it up bad. I'll still purchase and play this episode since it looks like they've only screwed up the end in order to allow themselves more leeway for the next parts (I had this nagging feeling they couldn't pull off all of what was in FFVII even with 3 games). The battle system from the demo was very interesting and I want to experience what they do with it. I'll take and wait and see approach for whether the next episodes are worth it.

Signature goes here!

deskpro2k3 said:
Vodacixi said:

You still don't get it. It's not about the changes. It's about selling a remake, playing with people feelings about reviving the story of one of their favourite games ever... when you're throwing all of that through the window and doing a reboot. And YES, IT'S A REBOOT. The original story is no more. They, quite literally, killed the ties with the original story. It's not like the remake of KH Chain of Memories where certain guy dies burned alive instead of just backstabed like in the original GBA game, but then everything proceeds as normal. No, this is like making a remake of A New Hope and suddenly making Obi Wan kill Darth Vader on the Death Star. That's not a remake: that's a reboot. You are restarting the original curse of history. Remakes don't do that.

Ok in that case you can say part 1 is indeed a reboot, but it falls in that grey area where you can say it's reimagining. I seriously don't see it as a bad thing lol.

I don't see any grey area. But even if there was, we are no longer talking about remakes. We are talking about either a reboot or a reimagining (concepts that are very very similar), none of which was what Square Enix sold to people. That's the problem.

You don't see it as a bad thing because you like the changes and you don't care about being tricked. But that's just you. You need to understand that, liking the changes or not, this is not what people signed for and that's why the opinion about the game is polarizing (among other things, because the game has quite a few areas that could have been done better to say the least).

Last edited by Vodacixi - on 07 April 2020

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Look those comments in this thread.
Probably people who do not like Final Fantasy or JRPGs.
Game media is not at all different from these people.

To me it seems the harshests comments are from people that really loved the original.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
SammyGiireal said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
Look those comments in this thread.
Probably people who do not like Final Fantasy or JRPGs.
Game media is not at all different from these people.

You are wrong, JRPGs are my favorite genre, and I can vouch for FF not being "Great" since FFX (FFXII was pretty good, but it didn't feel like an FF game) the series went down hill after Sakaguchi (its creator) left Square. Nomura had a good thing going with the first KH, then completely destroyed the franchise with his nonsense. 

The changes to FFVII's story are enough to make any fan of the game since 1997 cringe. They literally made the original plot irrelevant with Nomura's KH shenanigans of non sense. No one cared when he did it to KH, but most of us care now. The FF series has consistently reviewed well, even the abysmal FFXIII. Those handing down low scores to FFVIIR have valid points.

You are not include. Don't worrry.

deskpro2k3 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Looks at Lufia Curse of The Sinistral on DS, the graphic and the art style: changed completely, gameplay: action rpg (the original on snes is turn base), the main plot: same. That is how a remake should be.

FFVIIR is a reboot, an alternative story of the original FFVII.

This can be subjective, and there are many games that fall into grey areas.

In nature FFVII:Remake is meant to be the very same as the original but what they would have done given that they have the same technology today.

I think remake in the title is correct because Remake is like Reimagining = A remake that keeps certain key parts of a product, but changes anything else it sees fit. (Tim Burton's Willy Wonka, some song covers and remixes, DMC)

A reboot is changing the entire series, and the only thing remaining the same is the name.

Not so sure about that, the story is like "what if scenario", that is an alternative route from a game which have multi routes, FFVIIR compared to the original is like that. People on many gaming sites like Neogaf and Resetera are piss off with this "Kingdom Hearts" thing, someone even joked about the seven guardian of light including Cloud and ... the protagonist of Crisis Core will fight against the 13 darkness Sephiroth in the end. Or even better, Sephiroth will turn out to be an antihero and join forces with Cloud to take out an even bigger villain, we are Naruto now! 

Last edited by HoangNhatAnh - on 10 April 2020

Vodacixi said:
deskpro2k3 said:

I don't see any grey area. But even if there was, we are no longer talking about remakes. We are talking about either a reboot or a reimagining (concepts that are very very similar), none of which was what Square Enix sold to people. That's the problem.

You don't see it as a bad thing because you like the changes and you don't care about being tricked. But that's just you. You need to understand that, linking the changes or not, this is not what people signed for and that's why the opinion about the game is polarizing (among other things, because the game has quite a few areas that could have been done better to say the least).

Whoa-oh hold your horses there. I'm not "tricked" more like pleasantly surprised. Seems like the majority who "signed for" is in agreement that the changes are fine. The likes and reviews can attest to that.

By the way reimagining is closer to remake. It shares attributes with both remake and reboot. Reboot is a brand new game.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 07 April 2020

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
Vodacixi said:

You don't see it as a bad thing because you like the changes and you don't care about being tricked. But that's just you. You need to understand that, linking the changes or not, this is not what people signed for and that's why the opinion about the game is polarizing (among other things, because the game has quite a few areas that could have been done better to say the least).

Whoa-oh hold your horses there. I'm not "tricked" more like pleasantly surprised. Seems like the majority who "signed for" is in agreement that the changes are fine. The likes and reviews can attest to that.

By the way reimagining is closer to remake. It shares attributes with both remake and reboot. Reboot is a brand new game.

I've read about 20ish international reviews of the game ranging from 90 to 60 on Metacritic (I'm ignoring the 100 reviews because they don't have anything bad to say about the game... and it clearly has. Even outside of the story department). As for the topic we are discussing, the feeling is quite diverse. A few recognize the issue, but are curious to see how things play out in the end. Some recognize the issue and don't know how to feel about the changes. Some are directly bothered by the direction the story took in the end. And the vast majority play safe and instead of taking a position for good or bad, warn their readers about how this may like some and absolutely disgust others. As for the players... well, this is a hot topic in lots of sites. Many people are concearned.

In the end, while there are a lot of people that definetely like the changes, there are also a lot of people who don't like the changes or at the very least admit that there is an issue that might bother people. Why? Because as I said, Square Enix tricked people into buying something that wasn't what they promised. People expected to revisit FF VII story. They won't. Some might not be bothered  by this. But some obviosuly will. It is what it is, however you might feel personally.

And no. This game does not reimagine the story of FF VII. This game acknowledges said story and literally restarts it at certain point to tell a different one. It's literally restarting (rebooting) the story. There is no way around it.

But as I said, it doesn't matter the word you pick. Reimagine or reboot, either way is not a remake.

Basically FF7 fans are where I stand when Halo Reach the game retconned Halo Fall of Reach novel, which is the most beloved novel in the extended universe. To this day I consider Halo Reach to be fan fiction and recognize it as a great video game, nothing more.

Then you have to argue with fans who only play the video games and take it as gospel, leading to a complete fracture between lore and game fans. I don’t envy the arguments that will take place regarding which FF7 is the definitive story. Good luck on that. 

To the fans who feel outraged by the changes, you have every right to complain as they took something you held dear and made it different (in many cases worse) for no reason.

To those downplaying these concerns, you simply can’t relate and or aren’t half as invested in the IP as the one voicing their critiques. This is not an insult, this is just acknowledging the gap of perspective.

Last edited by sales2099 - on 07 April 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.