By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which XBox Game Studios developer are you most excited to hear from next gen?

Which Xbox Game Studios developer are you most excited to hear from next gen?

343 Studios 91 11.15%

Mojang 22 2.70%

Ninja Theory 131 16.05%

Obsidian 206 25.25%

Playground 49 6.00%

Rare 159 19.49%

The Coalition 24 2.94%

Turn 10 30 3.68%

Undead labs 2 0.25%

Other 102 12.50%

Total:816
trunkswd said:
CaptainExplosion said:
Rare, but only if they're gonna PROPERLY bring back their old IPs.

Rare seems focused on Sea of Thieves and their upcoming game, Everwild. I'm not sure if they will return to an old IP anytime soon. 

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
trunkswd said:

Rare seems focused on Sea of Thieves and their upcoming game, Everwild. I'm not sure if they will return to an old IP anytime soon. 

It is possible they have another team working on an older IP. They are a fairly large developer, so who knows. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It is possible they have another team working on an older IP. They are a fairly large developer, so who knows. 

Even after Banjo and Kazooie got into Smash I'm still not getting my hopes up.

The Initative and Playground's RPG studio. Those are the two new large AAA studios.

CaptainExplosion said:
trunkswd said:

It’s far more likely MS will farm the IP out to XGS and therefore publish it with a outside developer who specializes in platform games. Platform games simply aren’t as popular as they were in the 90s and any attempt for Rare to make a new Banjo or Conker will never live up to your expectations and especially fond memories. 

Everwild looks whimsical and interesting. I’m not sure about your stance on SoT but today it’s packed with content. No video game comes close to capturing what SoT offers. It has a very dedicated community, you see people post things on Reddit where they craft things you see in the game, it’s nice to see. I just hope you aren’t one of those Rare fans who thinks everything they do now is automatically bad because it isn’t their 90s style platformers. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
The Initative and Playground's RPG studio. Those are the two new large AAA studios.

The Initiative, what’s their current employee count? I heard less then 100 but I assume they can staff up on temp workers when they have a concrete plan in place. But even with 100 people you can make a AAA game if you have enough time. 4 years at least I’d say (it’s been almost 2 now I think)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
shikamaru317 said:

The Initiative, what’s their current employee count? I heard less then 100 but I assume they can staff up on temp workers when they have a concrete plan in place. But even with 100 people you can make a AAA game if you have enough time. 4 years at least I’d say (it’s been almost 2 now I think)

47 devs I believe. They've been staffing up slow, mainly hiring top notch devs. Rumor is that some of Microsoft's other 1st party studios have been assisting them with development gruntwork since they're not filling entry level positions yet, only senior and lead positions. I could see the game being ready by late 2021 or early 2022 possibly. 

sales2099 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Rumors are The Initiative is making great strides and will announce their new game this year at some point. It's not going to be some behemoth AAA game, but something a bit smaller to get their feet wet. 

sales2099 said:
CaptainExplosion said:

It’s far more likely MS will farm the IP out to XGS and therefore publish it with a outside developer who specializes in platform games. Platform games simply aren’t as popular as they were in the 90s and any attempt for Rare to make a new Banjo or Conker will never live up to your expectations and especially fond memories. 

Everwild looks whimsical and interesting. I’m not sure about your stance on SoT but today it’s packed with content. No video game comes close to capturing what SoT offers. It has a very dedicated community, you see people post things on Reddit where they craft things you see in the game, it’s nice to see. I just hope you aren’t one of those Rare fans who thinks everything they do now is automatically bad because it isn’t their 90s style platformers. 

Oh really? Then what about the late 2010s?

CaptainExplosion said:
sales2099 said:

Oh really? Then what about the late 2010s?

Riiiight I didn’t mean to insult part of your identity. I’m just stating a fact that platformers were more mainstream in the 90s. No need to show me platformers still exist and are popular. 

Cmon, let Sea of Thieves into your heart ;)