Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of the best Games in the Gaming-History: Persona 5 Royal, Accolades Trailer

mZuzek said:
I can't get behind the P3 train at all. Probably everyone who likes it better, or its story better, thinks that way only because they played it first, a good 10 years or so before P5. That game aged horribly, the gameplay is extremely repetitive and boring throughout the whole game, the soundtrack is good but has a couple of overused songs that get old very fast and then you have to endure them for the whole game. The game is grindy to an unhealthy degree, and yeah, the story is good, but nowhere near as good as P5 imo - it kinda feels like a prototype of a Persona story given what came next for the series. Thematically, it's really basic, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's just not as exciting. Many of the cutscenes are awkwardly executed, too, which didn't help. And don't get me started on the multiple "time to hit on girls" segments scattered across the game.

I liked Persona 3 quite a bit, by the way. The final boss was awesome. But comparing it to Persona 5 is like comparing The Avengers to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

Nah, I played P4 before P5 too and P4 doesn't come close it.

P3 has obviously more limited gameplay inside and outside of battles, and P5 is leaps and bounds more beautiful graphics wise.

But P3 story, music, atmosphere and specially social links are better.

If P3 was remade today P5 would have nothing over it, all it have is due to being newer.

P5 is still a masterpiece and its not because P3 is better that it takes anything away anything from P5, but even P3 being a product of its age its still a better game than P5.

P3 is pure magic.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
mZuzek said:
I can't get behind the P3 train at all. Probably everyone who likes it better, or its story better, thinks that way only because they played it first, a good 10 years or so before P5. That game aged horribly, the gameplay is extremely repetitive and boring throughout the whole game, the soundtrack is good but has a couple of overused songs that get old very fast and then you have to endure them for the whole game. The game is grindy to an unhealthy degree, and yeah, the story is good, but nowhere near as good as P5 imo - it kinda feels like a prototype of a Persona story given what came next for the series. Thematically, it's really basic, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's just not as exciting. Many of the cutscenes are awkwardly executed, too, which didn't help. And don't get me started on the multiple "time to hit on girls" segments scattered across the game.

I liked Persona 3 quite a bit, by the way. The final boss was awesome. But comparing it to Persona 5 is like comparing The Avengers to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

P3 has obviously more limited gameplay inside and outside of battles, and P5 is leaps and bounds more beautiful graphics wise.

If P3 was remade today P5 would have nothing over it, all it have is due to being newer.

P5 is still a masterpiece and its not because P3 is better that it takes anything away anything from P5, but even P3 being a product of its age its still a better game than P5.

P3 is pure magic.

You absolutely lost me on the social links thing. There was a grand total of 1 social link I cared about in this game, everyone else was incredibly boring, it all felt like filler content. The social links stories are so barren, and splitting them in 10 parts makes them very annoying when each part feels like you're watching 5% of an anime episode. The Star confidant was really good and I really cared about him, everyone else ranged from forgettable to obnoxious. It's not even remotely comparable to Persona 5.

The story of Persona 3 might be good on paper, but when executed the pacing is atrocious. At the start of the game you're basically told you gotta fight these Shadows and you're given no decent reason to do so. You're told by the characters that they're dangerous, but the game never shows you what the danger is until way later on. It stays that way for dozens of hours. It gets a little better halfway through the game when more interesting characters are brought on (Aigis is amazing), but even then the main plot remains very boring until the last 25% of the game or so. From that point on it's really good, but even then, the game continues to drip-feed heavy story portions scattered here and there in between long-ass chunks of weeks you're forced to burn on filler content or grinding.

The music and atmosphere are pretty good, but I hate how the game has individual songs for each area and then forces you into specific areas during specific moments of each day, because it means the music is constantly changing. After School starts and you get the school music for a few seconds, then it's the exploration music for a few seconds while you're doing some social link grinding, then it's the dorm music for a couple of seconds before you go out into the street again, then the exploration music for half a minute while you go do some social stat grinding. Rinse and repeat. Every single day. It'd be a lot better if it was like in Persona 5, where the music changes based on the time of day, because then you could actually listen to the full songs rather than just the opening 10 seconds a million times each.

And then the gameplay. You call it "limited", and you're right. It's a really pretty word, too. Persona 3's gameplay is fucking trash. Period.

About playing P4 before P5, it's not really what I meant. What I meant to say is that people are largely biased towards their first Persona game, and 3 seems to have been your first. To be fair, 5 is my first, so there's that, but I think it's leaps and bounds better than the games that came before it and its massive commercial and critical success is proof enough.

mZuzek said:
BraLoD said:

P3 is pure magic.

You absolutely lost me on the social links thing. There was a grand total of 1 social link I cared about in this game, everyone else was incredibly boring, it all felt like filler content. The social links stories are so barren, and splitting them in 10 parts makes them very annoying when each part feels like you're watching 5% of an anime episode. The Star confidant was really good and I really cared about him, everyone else ranged from forgettable to obnoxious. It's not even remotely comparable to Persona 5.

The story of Persona 3 might be good on paper, but when executed the pacing is atrocious. At the start of the game you're basically told you gotta fight these Shadows and you're given no decent reason to do so. You're told by the characters that they're dangerous, but the game never shows you what the danger is until way later on. It stays that way for dozens of hours. It gets a little better halfway through the game when more interesting characters are brought on (Aigis is amazing), but even then the main plot remains very boring until the last 25% of the game or so. From that point on it's really good, but even then, the game continues to drip-feed heavy story portions scattered here and there in between long-ass chunks of weeks you're forced to burn on filler content or grinding.

The music and atmosphere are pretty good, but I hate how the game has individual songs for each area and then forces you into specific areas during specific moments of each day, because it means the music is constantly changing. After School starts and you get the school music for a few seconds, then it's the exploration music for a few seconds while you're doing some social link grinding, then it's the dorm music for a couple of seconds before you go out into the street again, then the exploration music for half a minute while you go do some social stat grinding. Rinse and repeat. Every single day. It'd be a lot better if it was like in Persona 5, where the music changes based on the time of day, because then you could actually listen to the full songs rather than just the opening 10 seconds a million times each.

And then the gameplay. You call it "limited", and you're right. It's a really pretty word, too. Persona 3's gameplay is fucking trash. Period.

About playing P4 before P5, it's not really what I meant. What I meant to say is that people are largely biased towards their first Persona game, and 3 seems to have been your first. To be fair, 5 is my first, so there's that, but I think it's leaps and bounds better than the games that came before it and its massive commercial and critical success is proof enough.

Social Links are freaking awesome!

Also this talk about "your first" doesn't hold any value.

People often say that when an older game is held in higher regard than a newer one for someone else, and it is actually pretty rare to happen to me.

Let's see:

My first Sonic was 1 and 2 is leaps and bounds better.

My first God of War was 1 and everyone (2, 3, 4) that came ahead are way better than it (in constant growing greatness).

My first Uncharted was 1 and its the same story as God of War.

My first Final Fantasy was 3 and 12 is my favorite.

My first Metal Gear Solid was 4 and 3 is my favorite.

My first Pokemon was Blue and Crystal is by far my favorite.

My first first Digimon was World and World 3 is by far my favorite.

My first Resident Evil was 2 and 4 is my favorite.

My first Crash was 1 and 3 is my favorite.

My first DKC was 1 and 2 is my favorite.

But if I say Demon's Souls is better than any Souls game, or Diablo 1 is still the best, or P3 is the best, it must be because I played it first.

BraLoD said:

Also this talk about "your first" doesn't hold any value.

People often say that when an older game is held in higher regard than a newer one for someone else, and it is actually pretty rare to happen to me.

Let's see:

My first Sonic was 1 and 2 is leaps and bounds better.
My first God of War was 1 and everyone (2, 3, 4) that came ahead are way better than it (in constant growing greatness).
My first Uncharted was 1 and its the same story as God of War.
My first Final Fantasy was 3 and 12 is my favorite.
My first Metal Gear Solid was 4 and 3 is my favorite.
My first Pokemon was Blue and Crystal is by far my favorite.
My first first Digimon was World and World 3 is by far my favorite.
My first Resident Evil was 2 and 4 is my favorite.
My first Crash was 1 and 3 is my favorite.
My first DKC was 1 and 2 is my favorite.
But if I say Demon's Souls is better than any Souls game, or Diablo 1 is still the best, or P3 is the best, it must be because I played it first.

Cool. But you missed the part where I never mentioned Sonic, or God of War, or Uncharted, or Final Fantasy, or Metal Gear Solid, or Pokémon, or Digimon, or Resident Evil, or Crash, or DKC, or Demon's Souls, or Diablo.

I mean. Y'all need to calm down (and admittedly, me too). Look, I played Persona 3, and I liked it. I can understand why it'd be many people's favorite Persona game, or even game in general. I get that. The story is good, the music is good, the atmosphere is mostly well executed. Yeah, the gameplay sucks, but not everyone minds that. For a lot of people, they're looking for a good story, and they don't care that the game drip feeds the story in large chunks between long portions of filler. Because ultimately, the game's story and characters managed to be impactful. The ending was fantastic. So I totally get that.

But you can't say it's a *better* game than Persona 5. It's just not. There's a reason Persona 5 has a reputation among the wider gaming audience as one of the best games ever made, while Persona 3 and 4 are only regarded by JRPG fans as some of the best games of its genre.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

I mean. Y'all need to calm down (and admittedly, me too). Look, I played Persona 3, and I liked it. I can understand why it'd be many people's favorite Persona game, or even game in general. I get that. The story is good, the music is good, the atmosphere is mostly well executed. Yeah, the gameplay sucks, but not everyone minds that. For a lot of people, they're looking for a good story, and they don't care that the game drip feeds the story in large chunks between long portions of filler. Because ultimately, the game's story and characters managed to be impactful. The ending was fantastic. So I totally get that.

But you can't say it's a *better* game than Persona 5. It's just not. There's a reason Persona 5 has a reputation among the wider gaming audience as one of the best games ever made, while Persona 3 and 4 are only regarded by JRPG fans as some of the best games of its genre.

counter-argument to the last point is that the wider gaming audience haven't even KNOWN persona was a thing when they came out.

P3 came out in 2006, p4 in 2008. p4's original realese was a decade before p5's. its like trying to compare the original xenoblade chronicles and XC2, a lot more people have praised XC2 simply becasue it was realesed in the modern day. 

the gap is smaller with XC, but then again XC got major spotlights with a smash fighter, a 3ds relese, and a MAJOR LPer fanboy-LPing it.

you could argue P4G's 2012 realese and PQ, but P4G was on a system almost no one bought outside of japan, and PQ is really only targetted towards existing fans.

simply put, there is a HUGE gap between people who played all thre modern persona games and ppl who just played 5.

mZuzek said:

The point about my above post was to show how "it was your first" doesn't hold any value to diminish why I think P3 is better than P5.

And yes I can say P3 is better than P5, because it is.

It might not be for you or for anyone out there (of course it also is for a lot of people) but for me P3 is better than P5 and I can and will say it.

Then again, P5 is also a masterpiece as I've always said, I love it and love to see people love it too.

BraLoD said:
mZuzek said:

The point about my above post was to show how "it was your first" doesn't hold any value to diminish why I think P3 is better than P5.

And yes I can say P3 is better than P5, because it is.

It might not be for you or for anyone out there (of course it also is for a lot of people) but for me P3 is better than P5 and I can and will say it.

Then again, P5 is also a masterpiece as I've always said, I love it and love to see people love it too.

ok

More popular doesn't necessarily mean best. Sometimes it does but not always. P5 is the most popular but not the best in the series.

Transformers 1986 Film is better than the 2007 film but not as popular. Final Fantasy VI is the best in the series (my fave is IX) but VII is the most popular. Popularity often has to do with timing and how easy it's accessed.

Persona 4 Golden has better characters and a stronger story than P5. I was not a fan of how P5 made its dungeons broken up. TMS dungeons felt themed like Persona but were fixed and each had a unique and fun puzzle element to them. I much preferred that. P5 had great music and style. I also felt the subway was tacked on for those wanting more classic Persona dungeons. I feel the game should have either removed that or made it entirely optional. Going in a P5 dungeon only partway through each time to tell you, nope got to stop here do a bunch of other stuff, really disrupted the pacing. Made it drag longer than it needed to.

I will say it again and again. I really liked Persona 5 but it could have fixed some things. I will ignore any dismissive post with a useless gif or snarky remark.

Last edited by Leynos - on 28 March 2020

Bite my shiny metal Cockpit!

mZuzek said:
I don't know, is Persona 5 really that good?

Its more than good, its fantastic ; ) The scope is gigantic, Gameplay/Story/Characters/Soundtracks/Atmosphere are awesome :) In Japan, the Persona 5-story and characters won many Awards, for many players it is the best JRPG ever. No gamer should miss this game.

Thats the PS4-Cover, beautiful < 3 Tomorrow is official release :)

BraLoD said:
mZuzek said:
I don't know, is Persona 5 really that good?

Imagine the best game ever.

Yes, you are thinking about LoD, then think about the second.

It's almost that good.

P5 is by all means a masterpiece.

So true :)

Leynos said:

Persona 4 Golden has better characters and a stronger story than P5.

I love Persona 4 so much, its one of my favorites Games of all time and my number 1 JRPG. But Persona 5 won more awards, had significantly higher sales figures and stronger ratings in the west. Overall, it's a matter of taste(characters/story/gameplay-features ect), because both games have such a strong quality :)

its like Metal Gear Solid 1/3, or Uncharted 4/2 - its really hard to say, which game better is. but objectively both have a impressive quality. In detail, you like that better, which appeals to you personally^^

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 29 March 2020

The Last of Us 2, so beautiful <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dowuwdxzblM