Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

There are no goalposts.

Around the Network

like Rol said, 2020 is pretty similar to 2018 with the most notable difference being that one had its biggest game in Dec while the other was in March. Basically you can reshuffle the schedules and make them look the same.

2018 lineup (actual)
Feb-Bayonetta 2
March-Kirby Star Allies
April-Labo
May-Tropical Freeze/Hyrule Warriors
June-Mario Tennis Aces
July-Captain Toad/Octopath Traveler
Sept-Torna
Oct-Super Mario Party
Nov-Pokemon Lets Go
Dec-Smash Bros

2020 linuep (reshuffled)
Feb-Toyko Mirage Sessions
March-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
April-Clubhouse Games
May-Pikmin 3/Xenoblade DE
June-Paper Mario
July-Bravely Default 2
Sept-Age of Calamity
Oct-Mario Kart Live
Nov-3D All Stars
Dec-Animal Crossing

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
like Rol said, 2020 is pretty similar to 2018 with the most notable difference being that one had its biggest game in Dec while the other was in March. Basically you can reshuffle the schedules and make them look the same.

2018 lineup (actual)
Feb-Bayonetta 2
March-Kirby Star Allies
April-Labo
June-Mario Tennis Aces
Sept-Torna
Oct-Super Mario Party
Nov-Pokemon Lets Go
Dec-Smash Bros

2020 linuep (reshuffled)
April-Clubhouse Games
June-Paper Mario
July-Bravely Default 2
Sept-Age of Calamity
Oct-Mario Kart Live
Nov-3D All Stars
Dec-Animal Crossing

13 physical releases in 2018 (Labo had three, but I don't count Octopath Traveler because it isn't a Nintendo game), 11 physical releases in 2020 (adding Cadence of Hyrule, removing Bravely Default 2 for the same reason as OT in 2018). 2018 has the edge in quantity because of two additional Labo releases, but most people won't assign much weight to that, so 2018 and 2020 really do end up very similar. There's still a slim chance that 2020 gets another Nintendo game, but that won't change the year dramatically when objectivity is applied. Subjectivity is of course an entirely different matter as we have already seen with the announcement of Super Mario 3D All-Stars most recently.

In any case, you get a schedule that is close to one retail game per month which means no gaping holes between first party releases. Whether or not you like the games that have been released is a subjective matter, but objectively there have been enough games to set these two Switch years apart from the actual time of darkness that the Wii U was, where gaps of 3+ months between first party releases were common.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

NightlyPoe said:

There are no goalposts.

RolStoppable said:

~snip~

The point raised by @AngryLittleAlchemist remains true, there's a lack of nuance in this thread. Over the past two days we had many people in here telling you that you've lost your marbles, but NightlyPoe frames those responses as people trying to convince others that Nintendo has been having a good year and repeats how there have been only three new games (that is, after the goalposts have been moved as far as they could) to arrive at a conclusion that the disappointment expressed in this thread has been reasonable, including your posts specifically. He had a bigger problem with the people responding to you than your posts.

~snip~ 

Yea I have to admit, while I still stand by the general points brought up in my post, it just wasn't an appropriate one for this thread. I felt like valid subjective criticism was going to be flushed down the drain because of poorly thought-out objective list wars, and while negativity being lumped in with bad actors is still something I fear for other threads in the rest of the forum, that comment wasn't really applicable here - specifically when the subjective side of the argument starts engaging in the very same list wars that would make their points illogical.

In the span of a few weeks we got people flipping around entirely because of one Mario collection which not only had very little effort put into it, but was rumored for almost half the year and didn't even fully represent the 3D-line it was referencing (talking about Galaxy 2, I can understand 3D Land and World of course). In such a scenario, all it would take is a simple "what if x rumor is true?" for a person to be completely fine with the year when including the previously unannounced collection. And a Zelda spin-off which, while looking quite great, just begs the question ... did people really expect no new games at all for the holiday? Is that what people were really basing their entire argument off of? It just makes the whole proposition silly. I probably should have known something was up when even in my own post the only people I could really "call out" directly as bad actors were also the only people on the side of downplaying Nintendo's 2020, even whilst defending their right to be disappointed. 

It's quite funny too because Xenoblade HD ended up being one of my favorite games on the Switch and possibly a favorite in general, and while I didn't play much Animal Crossing and haven't gotten to Paper Mario yet, again there's very little disappointment from my end other than just wanting more new releases from afar (and even that has evaporated since the 3D Mario Collection and Hyrule Warriors 2, both of which I'm quite excited for). I suppose I care too much about being fair to others, and arguing in general, that I sort of missed the forest for the trees. Now I'm not sure if the comment has aged poorly because it doesn't make sense for this thread, or if it has aged finely because it goes to show how endlessly unbelievable the discussion in this thread will continue to be. 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

2018 lineup (actual)
Feb-Bayonetta 2
March-Kirby Star Allies
April-Labo
June-Mario Tennis Aces
Sept-Torna
Oct-Super Mario Party
Nov-Pokemon Lets Go
Dec-Smash Bros

2020 linuep (reshuffled)
April-Clubhouse Games
June-Paper Mario
July-Bravely Default 2
Sept-Age of Calamity
Oct-Mario Kart Live
Nov-3D All Stars
Dec-Animal Crossing

Except 2018 is considered a poor year as well.  So you're already comparing poor to poor.

And, again, 2020 falls well below those standards.  I count 5 definite new games in 2020 (plus Torna and Sushi Striker as lesser releases) vs. only 3 in 2018 (with Clubhouse Games as a lesser release).

I don't know exactly why you're trying to convince yourself that 2020 is equal to an already poor, year, but you're really not having a good showing if all you're doing is treating all releases as equal no matter whether they are new or old ports.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Yea I have to admit, while I still stand by the general points brought up in my post, it just wasn't an appropriate one for this thread. I felt like valid subjective criticism was going to be flushed down the drain because of poorly thought-out objective list wars, and while negativity being lumped in with bad actors is still something I fear for other threads in the rest of the forum, that comment wasn't really applicable here - specifically when the subjective side of the argument starts engaging in the very same list wars that would make their points illogical.

For what it's worth, I think I've been pretty dang fair and haven't over or under-sold anything.  But a lot of visitors to this thread just come in to crap on people and leave.

Right. And there’s no war in Ba Sing Se.

Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

NightlyPoe said:
zorg1000 said:

2018 lineup (actual)
Feb-Bayonetta 2
March-Kirby Star Allies
April-Labo
June-Mario Tennis Aces
Sept-Torna
Oct-Super Mario Party
Nov-Pokemon Lets Go
Dec-Smash Bros

2020 linuep (reshuffled)
April-Clubhouse Games
June-Paper Mario
July-Bravely Default 2
Sept-Age of Calamity
Oct-Mario Kart Live
Nov-3D All Stars
Dec-Animal Crossing

Except 2018 is considered a poor year as well.  So you're already comparing poor to poor.

And, again, 2020 falls well below those standards.  I count 5 definite new games in 2020 (plus Torna and Sushi Striker as lesser releases) vs. only 3 in 2018 (with Clubhouse Games as a lesser release).

I don't know exactly why you're trying to convince yourself that 2020 is equal to an already poor, year, but you're really not having a good showing if all you're doing is treating all releases as equal no matter whether they are new or old ports.

Read the convo I had with Cerebralbore101, it explains why I'm making the comparison and I'm not sure where you came up with me saying all releases are equal, can you point out where I ever said that?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
NightlyPoe said:

Read the convo I had with Cerebralbore101, it explains why I'm making the comparison and I'm not sure where you came up with me saying all releases are equal, can you point out where I ever said that?

Seemed you were just haranguing Cerebralbore for awhile about forgetting some titles this year.  Not sure what value that adds either way.

And how can one not interpret the idea of reshuffling the lineups and them looking the same if not thinking they have parity?