By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Persona 5 Royal Review Thread - Current 95 Metacritic / 95 Opencritic

mZuzek said:
Shaunodon said:

They must be hard numbers for you to read at least, since as I already mentioned the average for all PlayStyles is actually 115 hours, which is also the average for people who did main+extras, and if you take a harder look at the numbers, more people were polled playing the game that way over just playing the main game, which has the 100 hours number you apparently want to use as the golden rule.

Point was, most people will take a fair bit over 100 hours to complete the game, and that's just for Vanilla P5. Once a game gets into that range, it's a long ass game. Now are you done arguing over this point, which is somehow even more petty than the previous argument?

Don't come at me with this "petty" thing. This entire dicussion has been thoroughly petty. BraLoD was petty in his comments about the game not being released in a format everyone always knew it'd never be. Everyone else has been petty in criticizing his view on something that would be exclusively a consumer-friendly approach, just because it doesn't make sense from a corporate point of view. The whole thing is stupid. Of course Atlus will choose to release the game as a standalone $60, because they know people will buy it and they get a lot more money that way. Cool. But are you Atlus? Am I Atlus? Last time I checked, each of us is just a person, in this situation a consumer, and for the consumer it would strictly be better to pay less for what is, at its core, the same game that has already been release three years ago.

Is it worth it anyway? I'd say so, yeah. Never mind the amount of content or play time, Persona 5 is a phenomenal game. That matters more than the amount of hours, anyway. I haven't exactly bought the original game, but if I had, I wouldn't mind double dipping on Royal because this game is the shit and worth way more than $60 (which isn't to say a price higher than that would be acceptable). The right price, however, would be at a discount for those who have purchased the original. That only makes sense, it being an expanded version and not a brand new game. It's silly of BraLoD to ask for that to happen at this point in time, but it's not wrong. You're all wrong in defending Atlus for a decision that is unfriendly to the consumer, though. In fact, Atlus is a pretty shitty publisher, not unlike most publishers to begin with, but still pretty crappy.

Just wanted to put that out there because this whole discussion has been super annoying.

Of course it doesn't matter if the game is 100 or 140 hours long when it comes to how worth it it is. But I've never seen anyone take 140 hours to finish it, so it kinda bothered me that you used that number. That's probably the Royal playtime, but I'm not gonna look it up because I don't want to know. Sure, you say 100 hours is just for people playing the main story, but, like... Persona games have limited time you can use. The play time for everyone is always going to be very similar, because the idea is that you're going to be playing through the main story in a certain way. The only way your play time will be extended further than usual is either if you spend a long time grinding in Mementos, or grinding out new Personas in the Velvet Room. Neither of which is anywhere close to being interesting optional content.

Cool. Thank you for adding bascially nothing to the conversation. I don't know why you're so bothered by the number 140, but I already showed that 140 hours is hardly outisde the norm, espcially when the average is 115 and the upper-end for people taking their time is 260 hours. So I don't think there's anything extreme about saying 140+, especially when as I mentioned it was just a rough number from the top of my head at the time.

Maybe you need to get some sleep or something. You sound on edge.

Around the Network
Immersiveunreality said:
Shaunodon said:

And as I said, if the price is really that big a deal you can just replay Vanilla P5 for now instead. And when Royal eventually drops way down in price you can get it for cheaper just like you wanted.

Either you're a big enough fan that you'll willingly devote another 120+ hours of your life and pay $60 to play it now, or if you don't care enough to do either, you can just wait or not bother.

I don't see how this is a problem. It'd obviously be nice to have the option to buy it as DLC for Vanilla, but it's hardly worth making a big deal over the fact that it's not. It's not like the version of Persona 5 you currently have is an incomplete game. Royal is just a newer, better version, and anyone who cares enough to want to play it right now shouldn't have any squabbles over something like the price, especially when the consensus from reviewers and owners is that it justifies it.

You should try to see both sides,you say it yourself that it would be nice to have the option to buy it seperately and i do not really see anyone making a big deal out of it.

This product is worth more to you than it is to others and that's alright,for myself it is financially ridiculous to give full price twice for a product i played the biggest part of and you can't really tell me or others that is nonsense.

What do you mean I need to see both sides? You just pointed out the fact that I do see both sides, and that I admit it would be better if it had the option. And obviously it is a big deal for some people, because they keep coming back to this thread to argue about it.

Last edited by Shaunodon - on 17 April 2020

mZuzek said:
Shaunodon said:

Cool. Thank you for adding bascially nothing to the conversation. I don't know why you're so bothered by the number 140, but I already showed that 140 hours is hardly outisde the norm, espcially when the average is 115 and the upper-end for people taking their time is 260 hours. So I don't think there's anything extreme about saying 140+, especially when as I mentioned it was just a rough number from the top of my head at the time.

Maybe you need to get some sleep or something. You sound on edge.

Maybe it's because of how annoying it is to argue with you and your "I'm right and this subjective thing proves it" mentality.

Is this a joke? Your first response in this conversation was literally, "As someone who has played through the game twice, and watched another 3 or 4 people beat it, I've never seen anyone come close to 140 hours to finish it, but okay I guess."

All I did was pull numbers from people who've played the game to show 140 hours isn't that far outside the norm. From real data. If you'd just come in and said "actually, it's closer to 120+", I would've said "fine, even though that's being pedantic, I exaggerated it a bit", and it could've ended there. Or better yet, you could've not made a comment over something so stupid to begin with. Instead you came in with an obnoxious comment, so you get obnoxious responses.

Shaunodon said:
Immersiveunreality said:

You should try to see both sides,you say it yourself that it would be nice to have the option to buy it seperately and i do not really see anyone making a big deal out of it.

This product is worth more to you than it is to others and that's alright,for myself it is financially ridiculous to give full price twice for a product i played the biggest part of and you can't really tell me or others that is nonsense.

What do you mean I need to see both sides? You just pointed out the fact that I do see both sides, and that I admit it would be better if it had the option. And obviously it is a big deal for some people, because they keep coming back to this thread to argue about it.

You do deem your own side much more important otherwise you would have no argument,people tell you facts about the game and you have been overly defensive about any feedback like it's a personal attack.

Like the post you made above this one,you tell us you exaggerated the hours that the game can be completed but people can not correct you on it.

Looks like it's either a big deal for you or you misinterpreted peoples intentions wrongly.

Immersiveunreality said:
Shaunodon said:

You do deem your own side much more important otherwise you would have no argument,people tell you facts about the game and you have been overly defensive about any feedback like it's a personal attack.

Like the post you made above this one,you tell us you exaggerated the hours that the game can be completed but people can not correct you on it.

Looks like it's either a big deal for you or you misinterpreted peoples intentions wrongly.

As I already explained (a phrase I'm getting tired of using), I have no problem if someone wants to correct a minor point, even if it's completely pedantic, but if you're gonna make an obnoxious comment about something that small I'm gonna make a point of showing how stupid that is. Or do you think the difference between a 115 hour game and a 140 hour game justified him making that comment? (Not that he was even aware people take 115 hours on average to begin with). Because I wouldn't call a comment like that 'feedback' or constructive in the least, especially when the conversation is already petty enough.

How are you here accusing me of not seeing both sides of an argument, while also you apparently don't see anyone here making a big deal of the re-release issue, while currently there's someone on this thread making several posts about how they're gonna boycott future versions of games because Atlus doesn't care enough about them. To be honest, I'm not sure how much you're seeing of anything right now.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Shaunodon said:

I love how you're complaining about a price tag on a game that takes 140hrs+ just to finish a playthrough, and that's just for Vanilla P5. If you already love the game enough to devote even more time to playing through Royal, and can see the glowing reviews that show it more than justifies the price, then you shouldn't have a problem with something this petty. If the price is that big an issue, you're more than welcome to re-play Vanilla for now, no one's stopping you. If you don't care about the game enough to pay that, or never even bothered to finish the game originally, then I'm not sure why you're in this thread to begin with.

Also, I'm not sure if this important part was noted by anyone else, but all the DLC from Vanilla P5 (which costs a lot even if you buy the bundle) are actually available for free with Royal

Adding to all that, we're having to entertain these arguments from someone who's profile picture is him holding a black label copy of The Legend of Dragoon. Talk about peak irony.

I love Persona 5, but I'm definitely not paying them another $60 on it.

Yes so if I bought all that DLC and still have to rebuy it for $60 to get to play with the new char and changes it makes it even more expensive.

If you think its ok to accept companies to not care about people that support them its fine, I definitely think its not.

What is the irony with me holding a black label of The Legend of Dragoon? I paid the same on it as I paid on Persona 5, a single retail price. What's your point?

The irony is that if the cost of a game matters to you so much, you could sell your copy of The Legend of Dragoon and probably have enough to afford The Legend of Dragoon on PSN and Persona 5 Royal right now.

But if you're gonna claim this is all a matter of principle, and say that Atlus didn't sell you the 'complete Persona 5', you first have to establish how the copy of Persona 5 you already own isn't already a complete product. When you bought Persona 5 originally, and sunk in the time to platinum it, were you not already satisfied with your purchase, and did Atlus not already fulfill their end of the bargain? You enjoyed it enough to buy all the DLC already available for it, which are quite pricey, but apparently you're appalled at the prospect of having to pay $60 for a new version that adds a lot more substance than that DLC.

What these games are worth has nothing to do with how much content or what kind you think justifies a re-release, or whether you believe it's possible for this to be available as DLC, therefore Atlus should be obligated to give you that option. You either want to pay top dollar to play it immediately, because you desire playing it that much, or you don't believe it's worth the price, therefore you can just wait patiently. Just like how the price for a black label The Legend of Dragoon doesn't correlate to the fact that it's a 20yr old PS1 game, but instead it's driven by the desire and demand from people who want to own it.

Bandorr said:
BraLoD said:

Because I have already bought it and don't want to have to buy the same game again just to be able to play some extra content.

Again it isn't just "some extra content". Also you aren't asking for DLC - you want free DLC.

You want them to release a $60 game as free DLC.

He didn't ask for DLC, and size of the file doesn't matter as well, we have had day one patches that were 50Gb this gen.

It is a matter of dev wanting or not to make it as DLC or new game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

mZuzek said:
Shaunodon said:

They must be hard numbers for you to read at least, since as I already mentioned the average for all PlayStyles is actually 115 hours, which is also the average for people who did main+extras, and if you take a harder look at the numbers, more people were polled playing the game that way over just playing the main game, which has the 100 hours number you apparently want to use as the golden rule.

Point was, most people will take a fair bit over 100 hours to complete the game, and that's just for Vanilla P5. Once a game gets into that range, it's a long ass game. Now are you done arguing over this point, which is somehow even more petty than the previous argument?

Don't come at me with this "petty" thing. This entire dicussion has been thoroughly petty. BraLoD was petty in his comments about the game not being released in a format everyone always knew it'd never be. Everyone else has been petty in criticizing his view on something that would be exclusively a consumer-friendly approach, just because it doesn't make sense from a corporate point of view. The whole thing is stupid. Of course Atlus will choose to release the game as a standalone $60, because they know people will buy it and they get a lot more money that way. Cool. But are you Atlus? Am I Atlus? Last time I checked, each of us is just a person, in this situation a consumer, and for the consumer it would strictly be better to pay less for what is, at its core, the same game that has already been release three years ago.

Is it worth it anyway? I'd say so, yeah. Never mind the amount of content or play time, Persona 5 is a phenomenal game. That matters more than the amount of hours, anyway. I haven't exactly bought the original game, but if I had, I wouldn't mind double dipping on Royal because this game is the shit and worth way more than $60 (which isn't to say a price higher than that would be acceptable). The right price, however, would be at a discount for those who have purchased the original. That only makes sense, it being an expanded version and not a brand new game. It's silly of BraLoD to ask for that to happen at this point in time, but it's not wrong. You're all wrong in defending Atlus for a decision that is unfriendly to the consumer, though. In fact, Atlus is a pretty shitty publisher, not unlike most publishers to begin with, but still pretty crappy.

Just wanted to put that out there because this whole discussion has been super annoying.

Of course it doesn't matter if the game is 100 or 140 hours long when it comes to how worth it it is. But I've never seen anyone take 140 hours to finish it, so it kinda bothered me that you used that number. That's probably the Royal playtime, but I'm not gonna look it up because I don't want to know. Sure, you say 100 hours is just for people playing the main story, but, like... Persona games have limited time you can use. The play time for everyone is always going to be very similar, because the idea is that you're going to be playing through the main story in a certain way. The only way your play time will be extended further than usual is either if you spend a long time grinding in Mementos, or grinding out new Personas in the Velvet Room. Neither of which is anywhere close to being interesting optional content.

I have a platinum for P5, and it was a 100h first playthrough doing everything possible and 50h on the second playthrough (including the grinding to have all persona and lvl 99, etc). As long as you keep fusing and picking all possible persona on the regular visit of the dungeon I would say 85% of the personas would already be naturally caught on the first play.

So 150h would be for platinum not average first play. And I agree with you that there is a very big difference between saying it takes 140h average for one play when it actually is 100 (115 if you include people that just roam pointlesly and take 200+)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

BraLoD said:
Hiku said:

I didn't say it would be impossible on PS4. I even said "if they were to do this".

I'm saying it's probably impractical.
Royal's filesize is about 170% of the original. (My original P5 was 23.11 GB after being installed, while Royal is 38.65 GB).

I think there may be royaltiy stipulations for Sony regarding bandwidth costs for downloads on PSN. But that aside, since there are so many changes that are constant throughout the whole game, that's probably a lot of extra work for someone to figure out a script for how everything should be patched in the correct sequence. The gamefile of P5+DLC should look the same as Royal's gamefile, but someone has to manually program this to work.

Also, this would prevent sales of Royal as a full game, and undermine its DLC price, because the original P5 is so heavily discounted now. It's currently $17 on my PSN store, and I've seen it even lower.
If they set the DLC price with people like myself who bought P5 Day 1 in mind, then those who buy P5 + DLC today will get away with a price that's lower than what Atlus would want.
If they set the DLC price with new players in mind, then people who bought P5 Day 1 would have to pay more for the DLC than what's necessary or ideal.

Either way, no one would buy Royal as a standalone game for $60.
And I imagine Atlus want to sell it for full price for a while. 

If you're concerned about paying full price again, I understand. But you could wait a while and Royal should drop as low as P5 has.

I said I have it on PS4 because you said it would likely not work on PS3.

They have already changed the codes of the original game to update it to Royal, its not a Remake, so the changes they made there should definitely be possible on my file too.

The file size growth has a lot to do with new textures very likely, so I don't see a problem either.

If their profit is the only reason then I don't think its ok.

They are reselling a game from 2016, if people that don't own it want to pay $60 to get it all together its fine, but for us that already did back then its not.

I understand people could go and buy the game for $25 and the DLC for $25 too (as an example) and get Royal for $50 instead of $60, but that is just something that shows their $60 asking price is not justifyable.

I definitely won't buy Royal in the near future if that's my only option, and if you think that's ok, cool, but I think its not.

If someone that supported them from day 1 can get just shooed around if he doesn't think paying $120 on their game is ok (that's what is happening here), then I might just start waiting for their best edition instead of supporting them right away. Lets see if they can do a Royal edition without people buying their base edition before it.

We are not talking about a Remake here. I have that whole game on the same platform their are releasing this "Complete" edition.

This is at least the third time on persona they have done a second release full price, so you should expect they to keep this greedy stance on P6 and forward.

They even jump time on the vanilla versions without allowing you to do anything (like 1 or 2 months on the calendar) just to fit the DLC in that timeframe plus having that additional days for the extra dungeon(s) and relationships.

Bandorr said:
BraLoD said:

Again, where did I ever say it would be free? The bolded definitely doesn't show it.

Why is rebuying an issue? That I have already said. Because why should I pay another full price release for a game I already did, to get some extra stuff?

Persona 5 Royal is $60, that's the difference from a $20 DLC: $40.

Because I already own Persona 5 and won't pay $60 for it again to get the same game with some changes, as someone who supported their game I should have the option to just buy the extra stuff on a patch (with the new textures and changes). I have the whole game already.

I fail to see how you are missing the point so much, unless its impossible for them to do it (which is what I came to ask in this thread and have yet to see something pointing to it) making me rebuy the whole game as the only option is definitely a scumbag move.

This is not PS2 days anymore.

Persona 5 Royal is $60 right now. It won't always be that price. It will discount. Let me quote you - to you.

"Will we get Royal as a new game+ DLC for Persona 5 owners someday?"

Some day. Persona 5 Royal will be discounted some day. Persona 5 royal will probably be $20 some day.

So how is Persona 5 Royal being discounted "some day" any different than Atlus releasing Persona 5 Royal as dlc "some day".

But I'm starting to see this as a waste of time. You are lacking logic, reason, common sense, and the ability to communicate well. Plus you are ignoring everyone that is telling you this isn't just "some content".

No need for the attacks. And sorry to point it out, but several games have similar amount of additional content as DLC costing 20. The only difference is that Atlus do more of a merger of the content really "recreating" the game.

Still that doesn't make it impossible to make it as DLC. It is just pure gready and we know it, and most companies would be called that when doing similar stuff.