By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Persona 5 Royal Review Thread - Current 95 Metacritic / 95 Opencritic

Bandorr said:
DonFerrari said:

No need for the attacks. And sorry to point it out, but several games have similar amount of additional content as DLC costing 20. The only difference is that Atlus do more of a merger of the content really "recreating" the game.

Still that doesn't make it impossible to make it as DLC. It is just pure gready and we know it, and most companies would be called that when doing similar stuff.

What is it that Pemalite says? "Citation required".

I look forward to a list that will have 3+ games that had $20 DLC that had similar content to http://www.pushsquare.com/guides/persona-5-royal-changes-all-differences-compared-to-persona-5

And that list doesn't even have stuff like @Hiku pointed out with the changes in texture and colors of the picture. edit: oh it does it just isn't very clear with "

• Graphical enhancements on PS4 Pro"

and.. GO!

Haven't heard of a single game that charged extra for PS4Pro enhancement. Many including got patches (like Witcher 3) and were several years old when PS4Pro launched, Atlus didn't put a patch because they were either lazy/greed or waiting for their relaunch (and let's be real the graphic of the original P5 is a joke, even the royal is very low level compared to most AAA games).

On the games that have a lot of additional content but you aren't demanded to purchase again let's see Destiny, Witcher 3, SF5, Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed. Hey I done more than 3.

And having said that, when even full remaster of previous gen with all DLC got released for 40 bucks there really isn't any excuse for full charge of what in essence is a improve GOTY edition. No matter how much you want to defend the game or the dev (not sure why you defend paying more, but ok) it could have been done as a 20 bucks DLC.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
DonFerrari said:

Haven't heard of a single game that charged extra for PS4Pro enhancement. Many including got patches (like Witcher 3) and were several years old when PS4Pro launched, Atlus didn't put a patch because they were either lazy/greed or waiting for their relaunch (and let's be real the graphic of the original P5 is a joke, even the royal is very low level compared to most AAA games).

On the games that have a lot of additional content but you aren't demanded to purchase again let's see Destiny, Witcher 3, SF5, Tomb Raider, Assassins Creed. Hey I done more than 3.

And having said that, when even full remaster of previous gen with all DLC got released for 40 bucks there really isn't any excuse for full charge of what in essence is a improve GOTY edition. No matter how much you want to defend the game or the dev (not sure why you defend paying more, but ok) it could have been done as a 20 bucks DLC.

God so many things wrong with this post I'm not sure where to start.

"On the games that have a lot of additional content " Nope wrong that isn't what we are talking about. You shouldn't compare the DLC from witcher 3 to the CHANGES in Persona 5 royal.

That is what we are discussing. The CHANGES made in Persona 5 Royal. The link I gave you - read it. It lists many, many many changes. 20+ of them.

And actually this perfectly proves the point. This is not an expansion. This was a game with changes from beginning to end. They added stuff. Removed stuff. Changed stuff. They didn't slap on a dungeon at the end and charge $60.

You are confusing expansions with actual changes to the game.

SF5 brought some changes - not in the same quantity that Persona 5 royal did. And the others are just expansions like Blood and Wine.

But I can already tell where this discussion goes. You are pretty infamous for your poor discussion skills. That is why threads spin out of control until you and X get a warning. I'll pass on that. If you can't tell the differences between changing a game from beginning to end with an expansion - you won't be able to handle anything.

Hiku may have better luck - I won't bother.

You do two personal attacks in a couple replies and want to challenge behavior of others, that is just great.

I fully understand what Royal is about, as Atlus done that in previous persona games. You probably just gone and jumped all just to say you won right? You asked for 3 games that had added as much content and I gave you. Haven't said there were several games that incomporated the dlc as changes made on the game start to end, and still that doesn't really change the game, so you made a strawman.

But hey if you want to defend paying more and consider everyone that doesn't agree with you a dumb person all the power to you.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

mZuzek said:
I'm shocked this is still going on. Everyone knows the drill.

Atlus could've made Royal a DLC if they wanted.
Atlus didn't want to make Royal a DLC because they want money.
Atlus' decision is very much expected, which does not make it acceptable.
However, the game is just too good for people to care.

That's all. Move on from this already, jeez.

Great summary.

Man, Atlus changed a lot of things in from Persona 5 to Royal and it's all for the better imo. I'll give several examples.

The "YOU NEED TO GO TO SLEEP" thing has been toned down a good amount. You're still stuck in Leblanc for the night after going to a palace or mementos, but you can do some activities (clean the cafe, read, study, make tools, etc). Makes increasing social stats easier.

Ammo for secondary weapons is refilled after every battle, which is great because I didn't like running out of that in the original game. Baton Pass is available for every party member without needing to raise their confidant ranks. Not only that, but after the 2nd palace, you'll be able to increase the rank of each character's baton pass. There's also the addition of Will Seeds. There are 3 in each palace and each time you find one, some SP and HP is restored.

So far, I've finished Madarame's palace and will be meeting Akechi when I resume playing Royal. :D

BraLoD said:
DonFerrari said:

This is at least the third time on persona they have done a second release full price, so you should expect they to keep this greedy stance on P6 and forward.

They even jump time on the vanilla versions without allowing you to do anything (like 1 or 2 months on the calendar) just to fit the DLC in that timeframe plus having that additional days for the extra dungeon(s) and relationships.

Yeah I know, but the situation was different back then.

Persona 3 and FES came on PS2 but patches would have to be another disc as well, PS2 had connection to internet but that just wasn't really used at all, so I can understand.

Persona 4 and Golden released on different platforms, its hard to ask for dlc on Vita if you own a PS2 game xD.

Yep I totally understand why it wasn't possible before and is now. But when they done and was well received before and still is I don't see they changing it. I actually don't like that they certainly already make the game thinking about the second edition and taking stuff out instead of the second game seeming as addition.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Shaunodon said:

The irony is that if the cost of a game matters to you so much, you could sell your copy of The Legend of Dragoon and probably have enough to afford The Legend of Dragoon on PSN and Persona 5 Royal right now.

But if you're gonna claim this is all a matter of principle, and say that Atlus didn't sell you the 'complete Persona 5', you first have to establish how the copy of Persona 5 you already own isn't already a complete product. When you bought Persona 5 originally, and sunk in the time to platinum it, were you not already satisfied with your purchase, and did Atlus not already fulfill their end of the bargain? You enjoyed it enough to buy all the DLC already available for it, which are quite pricey, but apparently you're appalled at the prospect of having to pay $60 for a new version that adds a lot more substance than that DLC.

What these games are worth has nothing to do with how much content or what kind you think justifies a re-release, or whether you believe it's possible for this to be available as DLC, therefore Atlus should be obligated to give you that option. You either want to pay top dollar to play it immediately, because you desire playing it that much, or you don't believe it's worth the price, therefore you can just wait patiently. Just like how the price for a black label The Legend of Dragoon doesn't correlate to the fact that it's a 20yr old PS1 game, but instead it's driven by the desire and demand from people who want to own it.

There is no irony whatsoever in me having some game and not wanting to rebuy another game for extra content.

So Atlus shouldn't give me options? Wow.

It's fine, I simply won't buy it until I think its something I should do, I asked for the possibility of having another option to spend money on their game instead of rebuying it, but if they don't want it they won't get my money, the situation is pretty simple actually.

What you are going on about me having an old game and having to accept to rebuy a whole game I already did in the same platform it released 4 years ago is beyond me, though.

Who's words are you quoting exactly? I never said Atlus shouldn't give you the option. In fact I said in at least two posts that it would've been better if they did. I also never said anything about you having to accept buying a whole new game. Because you're not obligated to buy or care about this Persona 5 re-release, just like Atlus aren't obligated to spend more time having to re-work Royal as DLC for Vanilla if they don't believe it's worth it.

You already enjoy(ed) Persona 5, and nothing about Royal being released should change that. Either you want this new product or you don't. And either you're willing to pay for it now, or you'd rather wait for a better time to buy it. Those are your choices, and they're hardly so bad that it justifies all this moaning.

@Bolded: There's obviously nothing anyone here could say to change your perspecitive. So if that's what you're resolved to do, fine. But make up your mind and move on with your life. If you want to voice your opinion in a meaningful way, then vote with your wallet.

To hopefully close this thread off on a lighter note, I can confirm that Royal has reaffirmed my stance as Persona 5 being my favorite game of all time.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Ultrashroomz said:

To hopefully close this thread off on a lighter note, I can confirm that Royal has reaffirmed my stance as Persona 5 being my favorite game of all time.

My respect :) Really. Good work!

Just plated the game as well and really enjoyed it. Especially the new palace and semester for me. Lots of good changes in this version. Imo, was worth it.

Blood_Tears said:
Just plated the game as well and really enjoyed it. Especially the new palace and semester for me. Lots of good changes in this version. Imo, was worth it.

Same,here just plated it, enjoyed it but I have to be honest there were a few disappointments, and I will be honest here in saying these criticisms are minor and being based on my opinions are very subjective.  one was the good ending I won't go into detail since it would contain spoilers but while changes with the original ending had to happen they came across as poorly done, the new female character also was a letdown and while its my problem for thinking we would get a strong willed third party that sat somewhere in between Joker and Akechi, it doesn't take away that letdown feeling also everything in the the 3rd semester felt restrictive rushed and the game was really  pushing you, while this also occurs at other points in the calendar here it seemed to be more noticeable.like how yousuddenly had to jump through hoops to travel outside the stations early in the 3rd semester.

thinking back some off the shine was washed off not by the game but by it being my 3rd playthrough still I'm glad I played it. 

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot