By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - VGChartz Gap Charts February 2020 Discussion Thread

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah it's well overdue for a permanent price cut, but I'm starting to wonder whether they actually will, since if they really do plan on moving people to PS5 faster than ever before, as they claim, giving consumers a cheap option might jeopardize that. They seem to be favoring profit over raw numbers at this point, which to be fair makes sense.

And thanks!

A price cut is long overdue. A cut to $199 or $249 heading into the holidays would be smart. All the core gamers will already have a PS4 and get a PS5 no matter how cheap a PS4 is. 

True, but core gamers make up a relatively small minority of the total console audience.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

A price cut is long overdue. A cut to $199 or $249 heading into the holidays would be smart. All the core gamers will already have a PS4 and get a PS5 no matter how cheap a PS4 is. 

True, but core gamers make up a relatively small minority of the total console audience.

Yeah good point. Only core gamers bought a Wii U and PS Vita and we know how poorly they did. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Read the complete article here.

Switch vs Wii in Japan – VGChartz Gap Charts – February 2020

Switch Vs. Wii Japan:

Gap change in latest month: 147,647 - NS

Gap change over last 12 months: 3,018,531 - NS

Total Lead: 3,479,787 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 12,303,833

Wii Total Sales: 8,824,046

February 2020 is the 36th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month the Switch increased its lead over the Wii by 147,647 units and by 3.02 million units in the last 12 months. The Switch is currently ahead of the Wii by 3.48 million units.

The Wii launched in December 2006 in Japan, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. The Switch has sold 12.30 million units, while the Wii sold 8.82 million units during the same timeframe.

The 36th month for the Nintendo Switch is February 2020 and for the Wii it is November 2009.

The Wii sold 12.77 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch needs to sell another 0.47 million units to outsell the Wii.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Switch Vs. Wii Japan:

February 2020 is the 36th month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for. During the latest month the Switch increased its lead over the Wii by 147,647 units and by 3.02 million units in the last 12 months. The Switch is currently ahead of the Wii by 3.48 million units.

The Wii launched in December 2006 in Japan, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. The Switch has sold 12.30 million units, while the Wii sold 8.82 million units during the same timeframe.

The 36th month for the Nintendo Switch is February 2020 and for the Wii it is November 2009.

The Wii sold 12.77 million units lifetime in Japan. The Switch needs to sell another 0.47 million units to outsell the Wii.

Yep, this was a short war.

The Wii did well in Japan, but the Switch is just so much better suited to the lifestyle there.

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

Switch Vs. Wii Japan:

The Wii did well in Japan, but the Switch is just so much better suited to the lifestyle there.

Not a surprise has dedicated home consoles haven't sold as well as handhelds since the PS2. Switch will likely outsell the Wii in April. 

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

Not a surprise has dedicated home consoles haven't sold as well as handhelds since the PS2. Switch will likely outsell the Wii in April. 

One more notch on Switch's bedpost haha.

A common misconception about Japan is that they just don't care about playing at home any more, yet their choice of the more expensive hybrid Switch over the Lite, outside of times of shortage, says otherwise.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

A common misconception about Japan is that they just don't care about playing at home any more, yet their choice of the more expensive hybrid Switch over the Lite, outside of times of shortage, says otherwise.

While it may be true that the regular Switch sells better than the Lite, it can still be taken on the go. It is also likely because of the gamesm PS4 while a success worldwide never saw sales of it's predecessors. It might not even outsell the PS3. 

trunkswd said:
curl-6 said:

While it may be true that the regular Switch sells better than the Lite, it can still be taken on the go. It is also likely because of the gamesm PS4 while a success worldwide never saw sales of it's predecessors. It might not even outsell the PS3. 

I meant that if portability was all that mattered to the Japanese and they just didn't care about TV play, the Lite would've been outselling the hybrid overwhelming, yet that hasn't been the case until the hybrid model saw severe shortages and Lite had to pick up the slack.

curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:

I meant that if portability was all that mattered to the Japanese and they just didn't care about TV play, the Lite would've been outselling the hybrid overwhelming, yet that hasn't been the case until the hybrid model saw severe shortages and Lite had to pick up the slack.

Yeah I'm surprised the Lite didn't sell better in Japan. 

PS4 vs Xbox One in the US – VGChartz Gap Charts – February 2020

PS4 Vs. XOne US:

Gap change in latest month: 54,599 – PS4

Gap change over last 12 months: 908,518 – PS4

Total Lead: 4,764,595 – PS4

PS4 Total Sales: 32,543,229

Xbox One Total Sales: 27,778,634

In February 2020 the gap in the US between the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One grew in favor of the PlayStation 4. The PlayStation 4 sold 54,599 more units than the Xbox One in the last month.  The PlayStation 4 has also sold 908,518 more units in the last 12 months.  The PlayStation 4 currently leads by 4.76 million units.

The PlayStation 4 launched in the US on November 15, 2013, while the Xbox One launched on November 22, 2013. The PlayStation 4 has sold 32.54 Million units, while the Xbox One has sold 27.78 million units.

The PS4 and Xbox One have sold a combined 60.32 million units in the US. The PS3 and Xbox 360 sold a combined 72.13 million units lifetime in the US. The PS4 and Xbox One need to sell another 11.81 million units to reach the sales of the previous generation.