By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Report All Advertisment Issues Here

A new culprit for breaking ad arrived, and this time it even have ad over ad.

Chrome on Windows 10.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

*sighs*

For WEEKS now, I've been getting background ads that break my ability to use this site almost constantly, every time I visit. It's gotten very frustrating. It makes me not want to visit because every time I know I only have a matter of seconds before some background ad appears that eliminates my scroll bar and freezes the screen. I can't leisurely peruse topics, click on articles or threads I want to read and expect to finish more than a paragraph, or anything. I've missed out on most of the Series X and PS5 launch excitement convos as a result. I have to race daily to add the day's entry to the top 50 games list before the screen freezes. It's stressful. It's a pain. This site is non-functional to me 95% of the time. And frankly, these problems practically didn't exist before the ingenious site revamp from last month. Since then it's been nothing but problems, at least for me. Either the site takes like 5 minutes to load each page or I get get a screen-freezing ad within seconds of showing up. It was no small feat racing to the forum index to find the correct thread to report this issue on and then getting to the Reply button in time just to write this post. Something needs to be done about this. Seriously. Or I won't be here much in the future. Just saying!

Last week the ad I kept getting that froze the screen was for makeup. This week it's a Game Stop ad for Cyberpunk 2077 that's like "Tired of 2020? Fast-forward to 2077!" It's clever. It made me chuckle the first time. Now it makes me angry because it breaks this site every time.

I'd like for this site to actually work every once in a while when I visit. You know, like it used to two months ago before it became so terribly sophisticated? That is all.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 05 December 2020

I'm using Adblock but hearing about how awful the Ads are is extremely frustrating, I think I can speak for the Staff when I say it annoys the hell out of us too, knowing how shitty the Ads are, especially when there isn't much we can do about it.

All I can say is we're doing the best we can, what we can do isn't much though...As mentioned in the last page, we have emailed the Ad agency and are awaiting a response, there's nothing we can do until then, we don't have control over the Ads.

Just want to clarify something though, with the redesign, Talon didn't touch the Ads at all, we didn't even speak about them, so we don't have a clue what is going on, as I've said, we don't manage the Ads, it could be related or it could be a pure coincidence, there have been times in the past where Ads have randomly popped up for a few weeks, crashed the site and then randomly vanished.

But yeah, it's really fucking annoying, I apologise for the awful experience, the staff is doing the best they can within what they actually can do...My personal recommendation would be to use Adblock until this shit is resolved though.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 05 December 2020

Quick update - the ad provider has got back to us and is working to resolve the major problem ads we pointed out to them (thanks a lot to people who have posted examples in this thread, it made it much easier to compile a list of examples to send them of site-breaking ads).

Once they've finished and report back we'll test the site out and see if they really have been resolved/removed (the ones that prevent scrolling, the background ones that take up like 50% of the screen, and the scroll-over ones that pop up after a certain amount of time and when closed don't return you to VGC). If they haven't, we'll keep on at them until the site-breaking stuff really is gone. Now that Brett has given us the go-ahead to deal with the ad provider ourselves I'm pretty confident we'll get this sorted, even if it becomes a game of whack-a-mole.

In the meantime, do please keep posting examples. Screengrab examples in particular are a big help for us; makes it easy to identify the worst ones and report them on.

I haven't experienced any problems this morning, surprisingly! It looks like a difference has been made already!

Around the Network
Jaicee said:

I haven't experienced any problems this morning, surprisingly! It looks like a difference has been made already!

Knock on wood, too early to say as they haven't emailed us telling us if they've made any changes but I did notice the background ad is completely gone, hopefully not a coincidence.

All credit to Machina and Talon!

Talon was pretty pissed off last night. 😏

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 05 December 2020

Ryuu96 said:
Jaicee said:

Knock on wood, too early to say as they haven't emailed us telling us if they've made any changes but I did notice the background ad is completely gone, hopefully not a coincidence.

All credit to Machina and Talon!

Talon was pretty pissed off last night. 😏

Well hey, no problems all day today! The ads I've seen around are just normal ones, not the background-consuming kind that have come to often freeze my screen. That's muuuuuuuuuuuch better! I've actually gotten to read articles and stuff.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 06 December 2020

I've updated the OP, since recent events have rather changed things. I'm sure Talon won't mind.

I also have an update on the ads:

- The stuff that prevents scrolling should now all be removed. Please let us know if it happens again. In fact, I actively encourage everyone to put the site through its paces and see if they can get the ads to prevent them from scrolling(!), just so we can really make sure it's all fixed.

- Rollover ads (the big background ones). We're working with the ad provider to change how these work. Atm they can take up like 80%, maybe even 90% of the screen, which is absurd. They also don't close and return you to the site once opened. And they hem the site into a box and make it impossible to scroll outside of the box. All three of those things need to be resolved. The aim is to go from this, to this.

- Have asked them to give users some way to close the pop-up ad that sometimes shows up in the bottom right corner of the screen.

- There are some other minor things I'd like to see changed; some boxes are too big relative to the size of the ads that are shown in them, and some of the ads don't quite fit into the site's formatting, but these are lower priority.

Last edited by Machina - on 07 December 2020