Forums - Movies Discussion - Sonic The Hedgehog movie getting similar reviews to Detective Pikachu, tied for 3rd place overall

Good video game movies now.

Around the Network
Hiku said:

My favorites are probably Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter.
They were so bad that it made them good.

The worst one I've seen are probably Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, and Dragonball Evolution.
They were so bad that it made them really really bad.

I plan to check out Sonic soon though. Sounds like a decent film, and I hope they get rewarded for reworking Sonic's look.

That whole thing seems like a publicity stunt from the start.

I'll watch it in two days.

Oh look a decent video games movie I can watch next week on the big screen !

It's been an eternity since we could count more than 2 decent VG licensed movies in the same year haha.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Just got home from watching it, and was surprised... it's actually pretty decent for what it is. Actually hoping for a sequel now!

Around the Network

Guess they pulled it off after all. :)

Just saw it, it was actually alright. Nothing spectacular but I had fun. Jim Carrey really stole the show, definitely the highlight of the movie.

Hiku said:

The worst one I've seen are probably Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, and Dragonball Evolution.

I plan to check out Sonic soon though. Sounds like a decent film, and I hope they get rewarded for reworking Sonic's look.

Dragonball: Evolution isn't a videogame adaptation, it's an anime adaptation. 

But good to know Sonic is getting good praise, especially for a videogame adaptation, which are pretty much universally loathed. The common mantra is "you can't make a good videogame movie". Well, this one is sure well-liked.

And people marked this one down as a surefire dud after that awful teaser trailer (yes, it had more problems than just the godawful first design for Sonic). Way to prove the naysayers wrong.

KManX89 said:
Hiku said:

Dragonball: Evolution isn't a videogame adaptation, it's an anime adaptation. 

Oh yeah, my mistake there.

Sonic is performing very well at the domestic box office. Pre-release projections had the movie doing $40-50m opening weekend in the US/Canada, but after a strong Thursday night preview ($3m) and strong Friday ($21m, which is $300k higher than Detective Pikachu's first Friday, breaking the record for biggest 1st day sales for a video game based movie), 4 day projections have been increased to $60m+ in the US/Canada. Meanwhile, Cinemascore and PostTrak polled audiences and the movie pulled in an A rating from Cinemascore (compared to A- for Detective Pikachu) and a 4/5 from Postrak (tied with Detective Pikachu).

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 15 February 2020