By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: The Outer Worlds for Switch launches June 5

MEGA.

TON.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
The optimizations they mention are probably Switch-specific. It takes a while for a game to be sent off, manufactured onto cards, and shipped to retailers; they're going to use that time to continue to optimize the game, it is after all a demanding PS4/Xbone UE4 title.
Cobretti2 said:

The point I was making is if the game is already out on other systems, then clearly whatever this day one patch is could be incorporated into the cart especially if it is coming out in June. Hence my statement great half a game as half the size is downloable.

That might be the case but there is no reason to have a 6GB patch. If most of that file size is "high res" textures that are not required to play the game, make that a separate pack.

To me its an excuse to get a smaller cart. That is fine that is their business choice. I just won't buy it as I chose not to accept such BS.

Cobretti2 said:
curl-6 said:
The optimizations they mention are probably Switch-specific. It takes a while for a game to be sent off, manufactured onto cards, and shipped to retailers; they're going to use that time to continue to optimize the game, it is after all a demanding PS4/Xbone UE4 title.

That might be the case but there is no reason to have a 6GB patch. If most of that file size is "high res" textures that are not required to play the game, make that a separate pack.

To me its an excuse to get a smaller cart. That is fine that is their business choice. I just won't buy it as I chose not to accept such BS.

Again, we don't know that just yet. We don't even know what size card they are using.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 01 April 2020

Cobretti2 said:
So half a game on the cart is what it really means.

PASS

I’m not familiar with Switch gamer problems...but why would you pass on a great game for something that is so seemingly trivial? Memory space issues? Can’t say I can relate to this but it certainly shouldn’t be a deal breaker

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

It's very simple; back when Torna came out I was still relying on Switch's internal storage as I wanted to wait until SD cards came down in price before getting one and didn't want my hand to be forced. Now that I have a 256GB card, storage is simply not the issue for me that it was in 2018.

Uh-huh... because freeing up a few GBs of space in case of a Torna download would have been such a hassle. You could have downloaded what you had deleted after getting a micro SD card, that's how simple it is.

Forgive me if I don't believe that you are that stupid. Months of paranoia because you want to possess a game on card, okay. But all that drama because you couldn't bring yourself to deleting and eventually redownloading a few GBs of data? That's nuts.

It was an OCD/anxiety thing too. Anyway, now that I have over 200GB of free space to spare, 6GB is nothing, and storage isn't something I worry about any more.

Around the Network

I think I will do a comparison of both before and after the patch.  Curious to see how much value the card alone will have without the patch.  I am hearing too many mixed things on the matter, with no specific official details outside of a day 1 patch exists that is up to 6 GB.

Usually day one patches and partial installs are two separate things however, and I expect this to be no different.  Curious to do the test myself and put this to rest.

Last edited by Shiken - on 02 April 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:

I think I will do a comparison of both before and after the patch.  Curious to see how much value the card alone will have without the patch.  I am hearing too many mixed things on the matter, with no specific official details outside of a day 1 patch exists that is up to 6 GB.

Usually day one patches and partial installs are two separate things however, and I expect this to be no different.  Curious to do the test myself and put this to rest.

Eh, I don't know about that. They're separate in theory, but in execution they basically mean the same thing. It's why PS4 games are starting to get to the point where developers literally have to tell fans to install the day one patch because often, for all intents and purposes, they make the game run properly. 

Maybe not true with this game, but even if it isn't, we're probably splitting hairs by acting like the day one patch isn't important at the very least. 

All this talk of patches and I'm just here looking forward to playing what looks like a really good game.

sales2099 said:
Cobretti2 said:
So half a game on the cart is what it really means.

PASS

I’m not familiar with Switch gamer problems...but why would you pass on a great game for something that is so seemingly trivial? Memory space issues? Can’t say I can relate to this but it certainly shouldn’t be a deal breaker

I like collecting physical games on Nintendo. Now I am expected to collect a 6gb patch that tbh sounds like it all could be avoided lol?

This is the reason I haven't bought any 2K games or CRAPCOM stuff as they cheapened out on the cart size. I rather pay an extra $10 for the game to get it full.

The thing is, waiting til the day 1 patch is done before sending the game off for physical manufacturing could mean another delay of a few months, or however long it takes from a game goes gold to the cards hitting shelves; we could be looking at for example an August release instead of June. 

Fuck dat shit, with all the uncertainty in life right now, want it ASAP. Can't count on even being here in August.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 April 2020