Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

You concerned yet?

Yes 90 49.18%
 
No, but I will be followi... 50 27.32%
 
No, its being overblown 43 23.50%
 
Total:183
Pemalite said:
Nighthawk117 said:

Even if Hillary were president, instead of Trump, the US would still have 200k dead from the China virus. The American people don't listen to their leaders, they would rather flip them the bird.

You have met Australians right?
We abused our leader, we ridiculed our leader, we dragged our leader through the mud, we refused to shake our leaders hand... And that was in January this year while the country was burning.
COVID hit and our leader introduces measures to curb it's spread, we listened and we complied for the benefit of the entire nation.

Amazing how one single corrupt, incompetent, selfish wanker can have an entire country against him, then support him a month later.... Why? Because his arguments were sound when they needed to be sound.

The reason why Trump just can't convince Americans of anything is simply because... He is an absolute idiot that has divided the nation and keeps it divided and hasn't provided any sound arguments or plans to stop COVID in it's track, it's simply a running joke at this point...

Absolutely destroyed economy, way to many lives lost... And all he cares is probably when he can play Golf next.

We had a similar thing with Ontario Premier Doug Ford. dude was a total trash fire of a leader, then COVID happened and...he handled it remarkably well for about 6 months, changing even this liberal SJW's mind on him. 



Around the Network
melbye said:
TallSilhouette said:

Along with the populism, authoritarianism, fascism, xenophobia, etc. Just because we haven't gone full genocidal dictatorship doesn't mean the same tactics and rhetoric haven't been employed.

Oh just stop it, if Trump was a fascist or authoritarian the violent revolutionary communists wouldn't have been allowed to riot for over 100 days, anti-Trump media would have been shut down long ago and the governor and mayors that hate him wouldn't have been allowed to run the states and cities as they want

The only reason he's NOT a Fascist or Authoritarian is that the US government and the nation as a whole has rules to prevent such things from ever actually happening. If you don't think he's at least TRYING to break those rules, then you haven't been paying attention.



Runa216 said:
melbye said:

Oh just stop it, if Trump was a fascist or authoritarian the violent revolutionary communists wouldn't have been allowed to riot for over 100 days, anti-Trump media would have been shut down long ago and the governor and mayors that hate him wouldn't have been allowed to run the states and cities as they want

The only reason he's NOT a Fascist or Authoritarian is that the US government and the nation as a whole has rules to prevent such things from ever actually happening. If you don't think he's at least TRYING to break those rules, then you haven't been paying attention.

Or you are just seeing things that aren't there because you have bought into the media's lies



Nothing to see here, move along

melbye said:
Runa216 said:

The only reason he's NOT a Fascist or Authoritarian is that the US government and the nation as a whole has rules to prevent such things from ever actually happening. If you don't think he's at least TRYING to break those rules, then you haven't been paying attention.

Or you are just seeing things that aren't there because you have bought into the media's lies

I don't need to see the media's lies, I hear what trump says and tweets, and Actual historians/scholars/experts (with no media or political affiliation) are saying that Trump's behaviour and message is unquestionably authoritarian. 

Maybe it's you who should be more picky with your news media sources. 

**Edit** And seriously, what is it with people dismissing anything that doesn't suit their narrative as fake news? You can't really be that willingly ignorant, can you?



melbye said:
TallSilhouette said:

Along with the populism, authoritarianism, fascism, xenophobia, etc. Just because we haven't gone full genocidal dictatorship doesn't mean the same tactics and rhetoric haven't been employed.

Oh just stop it, if Trump was a fascist or authoritarian the violent revolutionary communists wouldn't have been allowed to riot for over 100 days, anti-Trump media would have been shut down long ago and the governor and mayors that hate him wouldn't have been allowed to run the states and cities as they want

The Tiananmen Square protests lasted for 2 weeks and they were only isolated to a single city. The Hong Kong protests are still going strong after over a year, also only isolated in a single city. Are you saying China is not authoritarian fascist? The Belarus protests are still happening. Is Putin not authoritarian and fascist?

What kind of fucked up metric is "length of time until a protest is suppressed" for dictator like behavior? Trump said himself on multiple occasions how much he admires the different dictators of the world. Even if he is not a dictator yet, it is clear that it's what he wants to be. Remember federal agents kidnapping people and those concentration camps for asylum seekers? You'd have to be willfully blind to not recognize a wannabe despot.

Last edited by vivster - on 10 September 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

This will go on 2021, there wont be enough time for vaccines for everyone.



Runa216 said:
Pemalite said:

You have met Australians right?
We abused our leader, we ridiculed our leader, we dragged our leader through the mud, we refused to shake our leaders hand... And that was in January this year while the country was burning.
COVID hit and our leader introduces measures to curb it's spread, we listened and we complied for the benefit of the entire nation.

Amazing how one single corrupt, incompetent, selfish wanker can have an entire country against him, then support him a month later.... Why? Because his arguments were sound when they needed to be sound.

The reason why Trump just can't convince Americans of anything is simply because... He is an absolute idiot that has divided the nation and keeps it divided and hasn't provided any sound arguments or plans to stop COVID in it's track, it's simply a running joke at this point...

Absolutely destroyed economy, way to many lives lost... And all he cares is probably when he can play Golf next.

We had a similar thing with Ontario Premier Doug Ford. dude was a total trash fire of a leader, then COVID happened and...he handled it remarkably well for about 6 months, changing even this liberal SJW's mind on him. 

I beg to differ, Doug Ford can kiss my ass. The way he handles back to school is beyond redemption. School was supposed to start on the 8th, it's a shit show everywhere. We still don't even know who our kids teachers are going to be, when the online portion will start or how. For the kids going to school he made sure to fill classes up so now you have full (29 kids) classes with 3 grades per class and one teacher since he fired a bunch of teachers because a lot of parents don't trust the school situation and opted for online learning.

Plus he let lots of people die in elderly home by taking forever to stop people working at multiple homes. He's made the situation much worse than it needed to be. Cases are on the rise again as well, The province reported 170 new cases of COVID-19, marking the 15th day in a row in which the number of new infections has surpassed 100.



SvennoJ said:
Runa216 said:

We had a similar thing with Ontario Premier Doug Ford. dude was a total trash fire of a leader, then COVID happened and...he handled it remarkably well for about 6 months, changing even this liberal SJW's mind on him. 

I beg to differ, Doug Ford can kiss my ass. The way he handles back to school is beyond redemption. School was supposed to start on the 8th, it's a shit show everywhere. We still don't even know who our kids teachers are going to be, when the online portion will start or how. For the kids going to school he made sure to fill classes up so now you have full (29 kids) classes with 3 grades per class and one teacher since he fired a bunch of teachers because a lot of parents don't trust the school situation and opted for online learning.

Plus he let lots of people die in elderly home by taking forever to stop people working at multiple homes. He's made the situation much worse than it needed to be. Cases are on the rise again as well, The province reported 170 new cases of COVID-19, marking the 15th day in a row in which the number of new infections has surpassed 100.

Oh, to be clear I didn't say I STILL like him. He did good between March and about half of August; the back-to-school stuff has been ridiculous. I agree wholeheartedly. 

Conservatives gonna be regressive, I guess. 



PopFan said:
This will go on 2021, there wont be enough time for vaccines for everyone.

15% of vaccinated people + a high level of immunization in the population will be more than enough to make it stop almost.

In Sweden, they have made their largest number of test last week, conclusion, it is nearly over there, and they never stopped living normally and without mask.



Current PB on Secret of Mana remake : 2h27 (2nd)
Strongest worldwide achievement on TGM : 1st European S13 rank
Fastest TI MASTER in Europe : rank Master V in 5min10
Current PB on Power Ranger (Game Gear) : 10min06 (World Record)

Non-geek activity : ThermalHungary

Amnesia said:
PopFan said:
This will go on 2021, there wont be enough time for vaccines for everyone.

15% of vaccinated people + a high level of immunization in the population will be more than enough to make it stop almost.

In Sweden, they have made their largest number of test last week, conclusion, it is nearly over there, and they never stopped living normally and without mask.

"they never stopped living normally"

You mean aside from having a bigger economic decline and higher unemployment rate than the other Nordic countries?

"they have made their largest number of test last week, conclusion, it is nearly over there"

"Over the past week the country carried out more than 120,000 tests, of which only 1.3 per cent identified the disease."

Germany's been below 1.3% since the end of May (with one week in between slightly above it at 1.37%). That's hardly an impressive number and shows just how much worse the Swedes handled it. I didn't check the numbers but I think Denmark, Norway and Finland had a much much lower number than Germany even.

And let's not talk about the death rate which is 5 times higher than Denmark, 9 times higher than Finland and almost 12 times higher than Norway...