Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Predict the Next Direct (Winter 2020 Edition)

When will the next Nintendo Direct hit?

January 21st-25th 4 6.25%

January 26th-31st 7 10.94%

February 1st-7th 3 4.69%

February 8th-14th 15 23.44%

February 15th-21st 3 4.69%

February 22nd-29th 10 15.63%

March 1st-7th 9 14.06%

March 8th-14th 1 1.56%

March 15th-21st 8 12.50%

We're not getting one; Don't Care 4 6.25%

Total:64

With the Direct Mini yesterday, I'm hoping for a Direct in May (or June when E3 was supposed to take place) where they announce their big holiday games.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

About 3 days after everyone loses hope in there being a Direct.

trunkswd said:
With the Direct Mini yesterday, I'm hoping for a Direct in May (or June when E3 was supposed to take place) where they announce their big holiday games.

Kinda what I was hoping for as well. I wonder if they originally were planning for a full direct and decided to do a mini to account for possible delays due to COVID-19

axumblade said:
trunkswd said:

Kinda what I was hoping for as well. I wonder if they originally were planning for a full direct and decided to do a mini to account for possible delays due to COVID-19

Delays are certainly possible, depending how far along the games are in development. I see a lot of games getting delayed a month or two that are scheduled to come out this year. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

trunkswd said:

Yea i'm not expecting anything now. This year is breaking patterns for video game. Let's see if Nintendo still does their June direct or they do it earlier or later. 

Think it will change depending on when Sony and Ms show their games. Idk if Nintendo really will wait until mid June to announce their summer/fall line up

Around the Network

From what I've heard. It seems like the Mini-Direct was already scheduled far ahead of time. The only thing COVID 19 might affect are the release dates for some game later on.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

xMetroid said:
trunkswd said:

Yea i'm not expecting anything now. This year is breaking patterns for video game. Let's see if Nintendo still does their June direct or they do it earlier or later. 

Think it will change depending on when Sony and Ms show their games. Idk if Nintendo really will wait until mid June to announce their summer/fall line up

Nintendo usually does their own thing without worrying about Microsoft or Sony. 

Mario Direct is next.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Jumpin said:

A think a General Direct is possible after Animal Crossing, but I don’t think it’s necessary if their next big product is Xenoblade Chronicles DE for early to mid Spring. In that case, their next Direct should focus on that.

Also, a Nindies.

As I have said before, I don’t feel that Nintendo should do more than 1-2 general Directs per year, similar to how they used to do only 1-2 big shows a year: at E3 they would focus on long term plans, ans Spaceworld or TGS they would push their holiday lineup (holiday season goes a bit longer in Japan, so we’d get some Winter games in there too, or games still a while out from localization).

I still don’t think tipping their hand for future updates multiple times a year is going to benefit them in any way since focus will be constantly on future products and not upcoming ones. It’s complete BS that games need 1+ to years of hype. It’s only when sales are poor that future titles need be revealed frequently to make it look like the upcoming lineup is bulkier than it is: it’s an exercise in hotshotting. A once a year look into the future, especially in the dead of late spring, is IMO the only time in the year a healthy company should be tipping their hand for the future. Once the late summer/autumn roles around, their focus should be on actual products they intend to sell in the short term. They shouldn’t distract from that focus.

Perfect. Paper Mario: The Origami King gets announced today with a release date ~2 months later.

SpokenTruth said:
Mario Direct is next.

And I previously stated that Paper Mario would be part of it.

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."