By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; WEEK FIFTY-THREE!! GAME! SET! MATCH!

Took me a bit of time, but I've just posted Week 22 numbers to the charts.
The PS4 is down this week for the first time since Week 10. However, with Last of Us 2 right around the corner, it won't be long before it's back up again.
The Xbox One and Nintendo Switch continue to be up YoY and Week over Week. The Switch has now stretched its lead to 4 million. It should continue to be up for the next couple of weeks until Week 26, which was when Super Mario Maker 2 launched last year.

Around the Network

Wow, 4M lead for the Switch already - and that's before adjustments in the US because it got lowballed again...

Am I the only one who find the PS4 numbers a bit hard to believe?

4 million lead mid year is CRAZY. Since May NPD results i don't think it's possible for 2019 to be the peak anymore. Switch will easily surpass 20 millions this year, probably a high 22/23 millions. Which would put it has the best year WW for a console since the Wii/DS.

Nintendo's 19 million forecast i think was mostly expecting the worse from Covid-19 but clearly it turned out to help the console more. I wonder if that many people buying a new console now will affect the launch of the new consoles.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Am I the only one who find the PS4 numbers a bit hard to believe?

Sold Out in most places but maybe you are right it must be overtracked.....

It's crazy that if the switch sells just as much as it's doing for 2019 from now on. The switch will sit pretty at 23.2mil. O hope that's not the case so the switch even has a chance of reaching 25mil this year

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
xMetroid said:
4 million lead mid year is CRAZY. Since May NPD results i don't think it's possible for 2019 to be the peak anymore. Switch will easily surpass 20 millions this year, probably a high 22/23 millions. Which would put it has the best year WW for a console since the Wii/DS.

Nintendo's 19 million forecast i think was mostly expecting the worse from Covid-19 but clearly it turned out to help the console more. I wonder if that many people buying a new console now will affect the launch of the new consoles.

It's already at 23.2mil right now with the current lead. It might reach 25mil if Ninty has a real holiday seller planned.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Eagle367 said:
xMetroid said:

It's already at 23.2mil right now with the current lead. It might reach 25mil if Ninty has a real holiday seller planned.

Yea but i'm expecting some weeks to be weaker in the Fall and holiday season with the Lite release last year and pokemon.

The Switch will come so close to the 3DS this year uh. Pretty wild knowing it will not even be 4 years old 

Week 23 numbers + NPD adjustments have just been posted.
All three systems have been adjusted down over the past couple of weeks.
I still get the sense that more adjustments may be incoming but time will tell. For now, it's largely been the same as it has been lately. PS4 is slightly down, XBO is slightly up, and NS... Wow.

Another thing that will be interesting to see is what kind of affect the PS5's reveal might have on the PS4 moving forward. Probably nothing to take note of for now. Not until we get very close to launch I think we'll start to see a notable decline. Same with the Xbox One.

PAOerfulone said:
Week 23 numbers + NPD adjustments have just been posted.
All three systems have been adjusted down over the past couple of weeks.
I still get the sense that more adjustments may be incoming but time will tell. For now, it's largely been the same as it has been lately. PS4 is slightly down, XBO is slightly up, and NS... Wow.

I fear we'll have to wait for shipment numbers to get a clearer picture

PAOerfulone said:
Another thing that will be interesting to see is what kind of affect the PS5's reveal might have on the PS4 moving forward. Probably nothing to take note of for now. Not until we get very close to launch I think we'll start to see a notable decline. Same with the Xbox One.

As long as the price hasn't been announced and preorders haven't opened up I don't think there's any real effect at all.