Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; Weeks 21 Numbers Added

Bofferbrauer2 said:
trunkswd said:

Right now we have PS4 sales down ~4% for 2020, Xbox One up ~30% and Switch up ~80%

So you're saying Switch is now about the same level the Switch was last year... shortly before the Lite came out in September??? That is absolutely bonkers!

It is crazy bonkers, but we got the official numbers to back it up. I used those to extrapolate to the rest of the world. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

So you're saying Switch is now about the same level the Switch was last year... shortly before the Lite came out in September??? That is absolutely bonkers!

It is crazy bonkers, but we got the official numbers to back it up. I used those to extrapolate to the rest of the world. 

Yeah, I know.

Still, having the console already at ~8M by mid May is crazy at that point of the year. If this keeps up then maybe the DS actually got some competition...

kazuyamishima said:
So PS4 went from 40% down to only 4%? Damm that’s spectacular considering it’s age and still $299/399.

Something can't be true here. The PS4 shipments in the last quarter were 50% lower YOY. And in Japan its down 30% YOY.

Michalis said:
kazuyamishima said:
So PS4 went from 40% down to only 4%? Damm that’s spectacular considering it’s age and still $299/399.

Something can't be true here. The PS4 shipments in the last quarter were 50% lower YOY. And in Japan its down 30% YOY.

If that's true, then the PS4 will probably get adjusted down again later on when we get more data from other regions/countries. That, or the console is now sold out everywhere and sales tank hard (sub 100k) starting next week.

I believe we currently see a shift of sales towards Q1
Q2/3 will suffer more because of it.

At least for PS4 and XBO.
Switch is really hard to predict for me.

German YouTuber and Streamer:
StarCraft and Fallout 4 currently.

Me trying to write reviews:
Octopath Traveler

Amazon thread

Around the Network
Michalis said:
kazuyamishima said:

Shipments for PS4 by 31st March 2020 were 110.4 million units, according to VGC sales by 16th May 2020 are 110.7 million units

Shipments for Nintendo Switch by 31st March 2020 were 55.7 million units, by 16th May 2020 sales on VGC reflects 57 million units.

so there are two options:

1) Sales on this site for those consoles are kinda accurate 

2) Both are over tracked

which one is it??

kazuyamishima said:
Michalis said:

Shipments for PS4 by 31st March 2020 were 110.4 million units, according to VGC sales by 16th May 2020 are 110.7 million units

Shipments for Nintendo Switch by 31st March 2020 were 55.7 million units, by 16th May 2020 sales on VGC reflects 57 million units.

so there are two options:

1) Sales on this site for those consoles are kinda accurate 

2) Both are over tracked

which one is it??

If we get more numbers out of Europe I'll make more adjustments. Right now we know sales have been up a lot since March for all three consoles in the US and UK. 

There is normally 2-3 million difference between shipped and sold for video game consoles. Right now it is likely under a million for all three consoles, as we are seeing reports of all of them being hard to find in the US. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YoutubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Gap Charts | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Marth said:
I believe we currently see a shift of sales towards Q1
Q2/3 will suffer more because of it.

At least for PS4 and XBO.
Switch is really hard to predict for me.

Right now the gap between shipped and sold is much smaller than usual. I'm sure the big three are shipping as many consoles as they possibly can under the circumstances. 

Michalis said:
kazuyamishima said:

There is usually 2-3 million difference in shipped versus sold. Right now it is most likely under 1 million. We've just gone over what Sony shipped at the end of March and we know they are still shipping PS4s worldwide. 

Also, we know that FF7R moved some serious hardware for Sony. This was mentioned by Benji way before NPD released. Sony also has TLoU2 next month which will influence shipments this quarter as well. FF7R+Last of Us 2+ Pandemic sales = Higher PS4 shipments.