By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; WEEK FIFTY-THREE!! GAME! SET! MATCH!

NSW vs. NDS 07-09 & Wii 08-09 through 37 Weeks

Obviously, adjustments for Jul-Sep still coming once we get Eur/ROTW data from Nintendo on 11/5/20.

Around the Network
mk7sx said:

Obviously, adjustments for Jul-Sep still coming once we get Eur/ROTW data from Nintendo on 11/5/20.

Peak year for both the NDS and Wii was 2008.  Obviously Switch is blowing the Wii out of the water, which that in itself is amazing.  It's ahead of NDS' peak year, but it's not ahead of NDS in 2007.  Any idea what happened in 2007?  Were there supply issues that kept the DS from going higher?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
mk7sx said:

Peak year for both the NDS and Wii was 2008.  Obviously Switch is blowing the Wii out of the water, which that in itself is amazing.  It's ahead of NDS' peak year, but it's not ahead of NDS in 2007.  Any idea what happened in 2007?  Were there supply issues that kept the DS from going higher?

DS peaked in Japan from Jun 2006 - Jun 2007 and then slowed down in Japan in the second half of 2007.  So that effect was still lingering in global 2007 numbers.  

The switch is probably gonna gain another 100-200k YoY next week despite the Lite launching. I was sure before it was gonna lose that much but instead it's gonna gain it, just wow. It seems like only two weeks this year are gonna be down.

Edit: So I was wrong about that due to sales being less strong than I expected, mainly in Japan. Still getting that close to that week is not something I thought would've been possible until recently.

Last edited by Norion - on 24 September 2020

I'd love to have an idea how fast shipments are moving. I know they've upped their production and estimates for the financial year, but I wonder if they're planning for most of those to come early 2021 (just in time for Monster Hunter), or if they're fast tracking them for the holidays.

Around the Network

Week 38 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions.

Xbox One:
Down in all regions.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in the United States, Europe, and the Rest of the World.
Down in Japan.
Down overall.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One remain around the same as they have been as the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series launches loom closer.

As for the Nintendo Switch, this week marks the release of Super Mario 3D All Stars, putting it head to head with last year where we saw the launch of the Nintendo Switch Lite alongside Link's Awakening. What's interesting is that we see the Switch is up this week YoY in the U.S., Europe, and the Rest of the World. But it is MASSIVELY down in Japan, and that large deficit is so large that it caused the Switch to be down overall. If you ever needed evidence to showcase just how strong the handheld market still is in Japan, well here ya go.

Top Years through 39 Weeks (VGC Data)

mk7sx said:

Switch just barely beaten by 2007 DS and miles ahead of even the Wii's best years. If anybody would have predicted that, people would have called that person crazy or delusional for sure.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
mk7sx said:

Switch just barely beaten by 2007 DS and miles ahead of even the Wii's best years. If anybody would have predicted that, people would have called that person crazy or delusional for sure.

I expect NSW is actually ahead once we get real numbers from Nintendo on 11/5/2020 for Jul-Sep.  I'd wager that VGC undertracked in Europe and ROTW still.

Week 39 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions

Xbox One:
Down in all regions

Nintendo Switch:
Up in the United States, Europe, and the Rest of the World.
Down in Japan.
Down Overall.

The story of this week is largely the same as last week, with the added news that the Xbox One is now officially down YoY in Europe now, and the U.S. and WW will follow suit very soon.
The Switch has just cracked 4 million in Japan. In comparison to last year, it cracked 4 million on the second to last week of the year, Week 51.