By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; WEEK FIFTY-THREE!! GAME! SET! MATCH!

Norion said:

The PS4 and Xbox One projections are gonna drop hard after next week. You'll do the PS4 and Xbox One one last time in 2021 before replacing them with the new consoles in 2022 right?

Not quite. I do plan on keeping the PS4 and Xbox One around in 2021, however, doing a 2020 vs 2021 would be pointless since everyone and their grandmother knows that they're going to be way down from this year, So, it would be rather pointless and quite honestly... boring. Because everyone will want to know about the PS5 and Xbox Series instead. So, I'm going to try something different.

The 2021 thread will be when I officially add the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series to these comparisons rather than 2022. However, since it'll be the first full calendar years on the market for them, I can't really compare them to their prior years since... ATM, they have no prior years. 

So what I am planning is to compare the PS5/XSXS in 2021 to the PS4 and Xbox One's first full year on the market, which was 2014.

The Nintendo Switch comparison will go on as normal: 2020 vs. 2021.

However, the PlayStation and Xbox comparisons will be the PlayStation 4 - 2014 vs. PlayStation 5 - 2021; And the Xbox One - 2014 vs. Xbox Series - 2021, respectively. That way, we'll get to see a couple of things:

1) How well both systems are doing compared to their predecessors.

2) If Microsoft was able to gain some ground on Sony and make this race closer than the last one.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 30 November 2020

Around the Network

With this week's numbers, the Switch's 2020 has officially surpassed the Wii's 2009 with 6 weeks still to go.

The Wii finished 2009 with 21,295,417 million units. The Switch is currently at 21,353,820 units. (+ 58,403 units)

PAOerfulone said:
Norion said:

The PS4 and Xbox One projections are gonna drop hard after next week. You'll do the PS4 and Xbox One one last time in 2021 before replacing them with the new consoles in 2022 right?

Not quite. I do plan on keeping the PS4 and Xbox One around in 2021, however, comparing them to 2020 would be pointless since everyone and their grandmother knows that they're going to be way down from this year, so there would be no point. So instead, I'm going to try something different.

The 2021 thread will be when I officially add the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series to these comparisons rather than 2022. However, since it'll be the first full calendar years on the market for them, I can't really compare them to their prior years since... ATM, they have no prior years. 

So what I am planning is to compare the PS5/XSXS in 2021 to the PS4 and Xbox One's first full year on the market, which was 2014.

However, the PlayStation and Xbox comparisons will be the PlayStation 4 - 2014 vs. PlayStation 5 - 2021; And the Xbox One - 2014 vs. Xbox Series - 2021, respectively. That way, we'll get to see a couple of things:

2) If Microsoft was able to gain some ground on Sony and make this race closer than the last one.

I don't think it would be pointless since there could be comparison of which of the two drop faster and how fast it is compared to last time but that is a way better idea so good thing you're running this thread and not me lol.

Switch needs to sell 200k more each remaining week this year compared to last year to reach the record 30M this calendar year. This should be possible, if Nintendo produced enough units.

I wonder if Sony starts to regret the change their software release plan for PS4. Hardware sales drop significantly but expected for a console of this age. Pandemic boost is almost gone completely.

Norion said:

I don't think it would be pointless since there could be comparison of which of the two drop faster and how fast it is compared to last time but that is a way better idea so good thing you're running this thread and not me lol.

Hmmm... Which drops faster and how fast compared to last time...

Well, I'm still not going to do a direct 2020 vs 2021 comparison. And I'm still going through with my plan. However, you have given me idea...

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
Norion said:

Hmmm... Which drops faster and how fast compared to last time...

Well, I'm still not going to do a direct 2020 vs 2021 comparison. And I'm still going through with my plan. However, you have given me idea...

I certainly look forward to finding out what this idea is!

PAOerfulone said:

Not quite. I do plan on keeping the PS4 and Xbox One around in 2021, however, doing a 2020 vs 2021 would be pointless since everyone and their grandmother knows that they're going to be way down from this year, So, it would be rather pointless and quite honestly... boring. Because everyone will want to know about the PS5 and Xbox Series instead. So, I'm going to try something different.

Excellent idea for a follow-up thread. I'll watch that one with interest too.

Quick question: Was 2014 a 53 week year?

PAOerfulone said:

Quick question: Was 2014 a 53 week year?

If no one else answers, I'll do it: nope.

Source: almighty and all-knowing Google.

I'm mostly a lurker now.

Switch actually isn't down all that much Black Friday week. Yeah, it would have been cool to see growth this week, but there wasn't any holiday system seller, so in my eyes it did really well.

1doesnotsimply