By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; WEEK FIFTY-THREE!! GAME! SET! MATCH!

Week 36 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions

Xbox One:
Down in all regions

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions

The PlayStation 4 has just crossed the 7 million mark for 2020. Compared to 2019, Week 36 was when it crossed the 8 million mark, so the system is now down 1 million units YoY and only getting further as PS5 looms closer and closer.

The Xbox One is clinging to its YoY lead, but its surely slipping away and will likely be down by the time the XSX comes out. And that $299 price point for the Series S will only further exacerbate the decline, I believe.

The Nintendo Switch continues its monstrous run. Just under 350k this week, which was the announcement of Super Mario 3D All Stars. It also reached the milestone of 15 million units sold for the year in just Week 36! Compared to last year, it did not reach 15 million until Week 49! Now that we have a much clearer idea of its holiday lineup thanks to Nintendo's string of reveals and announcements. It'll be curious to see how the final 2 1/2 months shape up.

Around the Network

Switch has completely normalised just selling a casual 350k+ units every week. Can't wait to see the floodgates to open during holidays. Pray for the workers in factories having to churn out these systems like their lives depend on it.

I somehow missed this thread up until now. Very interesting stuff. I had no idea Xbox One was having a better year in 2020 than in 2019.

Signature goes here!

Switch is already at 15m. Last year Switch sold another 11.3m from this week on. But I think we know Switch is going to sell more this year than last. How much more? That's the question. Even the ultimate lowball estimate puts it over the Wii's peak year at this point. It's more a question of whether or not it's going to beat the DS's peak year.

TruckOSaurus said:
I somehow missed this thread up until now. Very interesting stuff. I had no idea Xbox One was having a better year in 2020 than in 2019.

Which is probably the reason why it's sold out everywhere, Microsoft certainly didn't expect that to happen, otherwise they'd had produced a couple more consoles to sell.

Around the Network

Adjustments coming. USA picking up somewhere around 115-180K for August (can validate once we have leaks).

I’ll make the necessary adjustments in light of the NPD numbers once I’m home from work, which should be 5 hours from now.

Just made adjustments in accordance with the August NPD leaks.

Xbox One was adjusted slightly down.
PS4 and NS were adjusted slightly up.

Week 37 Breakdowns:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions.

Xbox One:
Down in all regions.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions.

Man, this past week has just been a whirlwind of news and announcements.
PS5 and XSXS have official dates and prices (Finally.) We have a clearer roadmap of the PS5's first year lineup. (Final Fantasy XVI hype!!!)
And now the Switch, at long last, has its own mainline Monster Hunter game!

Despite the PS4 and XBO now beginning to trail significantly behind last year on a week to week basis, their weekly baseline is actually rising despite their successors' now detailed launches less than 2 months away. The only explanation is more stock has been ordered for them as the COVID-boost hasn't fully worn off just yet.

And the Switch continues to be an absolute MONSTER. :D
Posting 400k on the week before the launch of Super Mario 3D All Stars. Brace yourselves, guys. Next week is going to be a wild one.

According to my calculations, for the Switch to reach at least 30 Million Sold. From here on out it needs to have a 35% YoY growth on average every week from now. The Switch so far this year has had 100% YoY growth and still hasn't met demand yet so I think it's likely to happen. I don't think YoY growth during this Holiday will be as high as its been so far in 2020 since I'm not sure if demand could get much higher than it is right now and I'm not sure if Nintendo will be able to supply enough units is Switch sales explode this season, plus no major Holiday title and the release of new console may hinder it. However, I could still see myself being completely wrng nd maybe the Switch maintains its 100% yoy growth through the holidays and maybe even grows more. If the Switch were to do that it would sell 37 Million, which just the fact that that possibility is mentioned is mind-blowing, even if it's unlikely to happen.