Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; Week 41

Just made adjustments in accordance with the August NPD leaks.

Xbox One was adjusted slightly down.
PS4 and NS were adjusted slightly up.

Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

Around the Network

Week 37 Breakdowns:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions.

Xbox One:
Down in all regions.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions.

Man, this past week has just been a whirlwind of news and announcements.
PS5 and XSXS have official dates and prices (Finally.) We have a clearer roadmap of the PS5's first year lineup. (Final Fantasy XVI hype!!!)
And now the Switch, at long last, has its own mainline Monster Hunter game!

Despite the PS4 and XBO now beginning to trail significantly behind last year on a week to week basis, their weekly baseline is actually rising despite their successors' now detailed launches less than 2 months away. The only explanation is more stock has been ordered for them as the COVID-boost hasn't fully worn off just yet.

And the Switch continues to be an absolute MONSTER. :D
Posting 400k on the week before the launch of Super Mario 3D All Stars. Brace yourselves, guys. Next week is going to be a wild one.

According to my calculations, for the Switch to reach at least 30 Million Sold. From here on out it needs to have a 35% YoY growth on average every week from now. The Switch so far this year has had 100% YoY growth and still hasn't met demand yet so I think it's likely to happen. I don't think YoY growth during this Holiday will be as high as its been so far in 2020 since I'm not sure if demand could get much higher than it is right now and I'm not sure if Nintendo will be able to supply enough units is Switch sales explode this season, plus no major Holiday title and the release of new console may hinder it. However, I could still see myself being completely wrng nd maybe the Switch maintains its 100% yoy growth through the holidays and maybe even grows more. If the Switch were to do that it would sell 37 Million, which just the fact that that possibility is mentioned is mind-blowing, even if it's unlikely to happen.

NSW vs. NDS 07-09 & Wii 08-09 through 37 Weeks

Obviously, adjustments for Jul-Sep still coming once we get Eur/ROTW data from Nintendo on 11/5/20.

mk7sx said:

Obviously, adjustments for Jul-Sep still coming once we get Eur/ROTW data from Nintendo on 11/5/20.

Peak year for both the NDS and Wii was 2008.  Obviously Switch is blowing the Wii out of the water, which that in itself is amazing.  It's ahead of NDS' peak year, but it's not ahead of NDS in 2007.  Any idea what happened in 2007?  Were there supply issues that kept the DS from going higher?

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
mk7sx said:

Peak year for both the NDS and Wii was 2008.  Obviously Switch is blowing the Wii out of the water, which that in itself is amazing.  It's ahead of NDS' peak year, but it's not ahead of NDS in 2007.  Any idea what happened in 2007?  Were there supply issues that kept the DS from going higher?

DS peaked in Japan from Jun 2006 - Jun 2007 and then slowed down in Japan in the second half of 2007.  So that effect was still lingering in global 2007 numbers.  

The switch is probably gonna gain another 100-200k YoY next week despite the Lite launching. I was sure before it was gonna lose that much but instead it's gonna gain it, just wow. It seems like only two weeks this year are gonna be down.

Edit: So I was wrong about that due to sales being less strong than I expected, mainly in Japan. Still getting that close to that week is not something I thought would've been possible until recently.

Last edited by Norion - on 24 September 2020

I'd love to have an idea how fast shipments are moving. I know they've upped their production and estimates for the financial year, but I wonder if they're planning for most of those to come early 2021 (just in time for Monster Hunter), or if they're fast tracking them for the holidays.

Week 38 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions.

Xbox One:
Down in all regions.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in the United States, Europe, and the Rest of the World.
Down in Japan.
Down overall.

The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One remain around the same as they have been as the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series launches loom closer.

As for the Nintendo Switch, this week marks the release of Super Mario 3D All Stars, putting it head to head with last year where we saw the launch of the Nintendo Switch Lite alongside Link's Awakening. What's interesting is that we see the Switch is up this week YoY in the U.S., Europe, and the Rest of the World. But it is MASSIVELY down in Japan, and that large deficit is so large that it caused the Switch to be down overall. If you ever needed evidence to showcase just how strong the handheld market still is in Japan, well here ya go.

Top Years through 39 Weeks (VGC Data)