By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; WEEK FIFTY-THREE!! GAME! SET! MATCH!

I think Nintendo is producing many more Switches than originally thought, so I see no reason why they couldn't approach that 30 million mark. If they have another 5+ million quarter (and they likely will), just being flat for the holiday season would get them to that mark.

Nintendo with the Switch:

Around the Network

Switch in RoW is already almost at the total sales from last year...

Wow. Just Wow!

trunkswd said:
Safe to say Nintendo has shipped far more Switch consoles than anyone was expecting. I know some people thought we were overtracking Switch sales, when in reality we were undertracking them.

You think they will be able to gear up for the holiday season? 

Nintendo with the Switch:

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Wow. Just Wow!

NSW launched in China in Dec 2019 so that helps.  Also we get Media Create rankings (no #s) for Taiwan/South Korea in the Era MC threads and ACNH has been doing gangbusters there so presumably HW performance improved as well.

scottslater said:
trunkswd said:
Safe to say Nintendo has shipped far more Switch consoles than anyone was expecting. I know some people thought we were overtracking Switch sales, when in reality we were undertracking them.

You think they will be able to gear up for the holiday season? 

Last year they shipped 4.8M in Q2 and then still pushed out 10.8M in Q3.  We know they've upped production this year in a big way, they should be able to push 6M/12M this time around - it would only be 15% higher.  Reports out of Nintendo were >10% production increase early in the year then another increase was just reported by Bloomberg this past week.

Around the Network

Actually, if they are tracking ahead of the DS so far this year, then that is a very good sign. If they produced that much before, then they can produce it again. They might actually break the all time annual sales record set by the DS. It's definitely in the running, but at this point I think it will come down to what kind of a holiday line-up they have for games.

mk7sx said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Wow. Just Wow!

NSW launched in China in Dec 2019 so that helps.  Also we get Media Create rankings (no #s) for Taiwan/South Korea in the Era MC threads and ACNH has been doing gangbusters there so presumably HW performance improved as well.

Switch will certainly break up the Playstation block on top of the RoW sales (PS2,4,P and 3 are on the 4 first spots right now, 5th is DS) and prove that not only Sony sells outside of the big regions.

The fact that 25 million is now pretty much guaranteed with it most likely going higher is pretty crazy considering the average prediction for this year back in January was about 21-22 I think. The sales for the Switch and Animal Crossing in 2020 are gonna exceed even the most optimistic predictions it seems.

Week 32 breakdown:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions.

Xbox One:
Up in the United States and Japan.
Down in Europe and the Rest of the World.
Up overall.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions.

This week marks the week before Obon in Japan. Which means all hardware in Japan got a boost...
And when I say all hardware, I mostly mean Switch. I mean, just look at that... From 85k the prior week to 170k this week. It actually doubled last week's total over there. And next week's numbers are expected to be higher.

As for the PS4 and Xbox One. This week marks the lowest weekly total of the year for the Xbox One while the PS4 continues to sink lower and lower, despite a slight Obon boost. (Just 860 units isn't exactly what I'd call a boost.)

Crazy week for Switch in Japan. I have to say I've seen bigger shipments on that week in Canada and US so I wouldn't be surprised if it is under tracked here. Feels like only Japan is changing lately.