Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; Week 37 - Switch over 400k

The fact that 25 million is now pretty much guaranteed with it most likely going higher is pretty crazy considering the average prediction for this year back in January was about 21-22 I think. The sales for the Switch and Animal Crossing in 2020 are gonna exceed even the most optimistic predictions it seems.

Around the Network

Week 32 breakdown:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions.

Xbox One:
Up in the United States and Japan.
Down in Europe and the Rest of the World.
Up overall.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions.

This week marks the week before Obon in Japan. Which means all hardware in Japan got a boost...
And when I say all hardware, I mostly mean Switch. I mean, just look at that... From 85k the prior week to 170k this week. It actually doubled last week's total over there. And next week's numbers are expected to be higher.

As for the PS4 and Xbox One. This week marks the lowest weekly total of the year for the Xbox One while the PS4 continues to sink lower and lower, despite a slight Obon boost. (Just 860 units isn't exactly what I'd call a boost.)

Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

Crazy week for Switch in Japan. I have to say I've seen bigger shipments on that week in Canada and US so I wouldn't be surprised if it is under tracked here. Feels like only Japan is changing lately.

Crazy week for Switch in Japan. I have to say I've seen bigger shipments on that week in Canada and US so I wouldn't be surprised if it is under tracked here. Feels like only Japan is changing lately.

Week 33 Breakdowns:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions

Xbox One:
Down in the United States, Europe, and the Rest of the World.
Up in Japan (HA!)
Down overall.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions.

Latest adjustments were made in conjunction with the release of July NPD figures... Those Xbox One numbers are just sad. But it's not just the Xbox One, all systems were adjusted down with the reveal of the figures. The PS4 and Xbox One this week sold the lowest they have sold out of any week all year. With the PS4/XSX launches looming closer, expect production for those systems to start ramping up and these numbers will likely continue to fall. These next 3 months, the console market will be almost entirely carried by the Nintendo Switch until the Next Gen twins arrive.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
Week 33 Breakdowns:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions

Xbox One:
Up in Japan (HA!)
Down overall.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions.

Latest adjustments were made in conjunction with the release of July NPD figures... Those Xbox One numbers are just sad. But it's not just the Xbox One, all systems were adjusted down with the reveal of the figures. The PS4 and Xbox One this week sold the lowest they have sold out of any week all year. With the PS4/XSX launches looming closer, expect production for those systems to start ramping up and these numbers will likely continue to fall. These next 3 months, the console market will be almost entirely carried by the Nintendo Switch until the Next Gen twins arrive.

Imagine Nintendo also replacing their hardware at the same time, we'd probably hit below 100k total in weekly sales before the next gen launches...

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 21 August 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:
PAOerfulone said:
Week 33 Breakdowns:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions

Xbox One:
Up in Japan (HA!)
Down overall.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions.

Imagine Nintendo also replacing their hardware at the same time, we'd probably hit below 100k total in weekly sales before the next gen launches...

One good thing that came out of Nintendo saying "Screw competition. If Sony and Microsoft want to measure sizes, let 'em. We're doing our own thing."

Week 34 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions.

Xbox One:
Down in all regions.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions.

Covid or not; Stock or not; Doesn't matter to Sony and Microsoft. They have clearly moved on and are prepping for the next generation. Meanwhile, Nintendo continues to scramble to provide stock for the Switch.

Switch is currently up 92% YoY which is incredible.  Switch got a significant sales spike last year at week 38.  So if we apply a 92% increase up to week 37 and then flat the rest of the year, Switch sales will be 26.8m.  I would call this the floor on Switch sales at this point, because it is very likely Switch will be up YoY after week 38.  

The real limiter at this point seems to be Nintendo's production capabilities.  They amount they are going to sell is mostly limited by what they are able to ship.

I'm in awe how well the Switch is doing in the RoW right now. Sales have jumped over 100% compared to last year (1.3M 2019 to this point, while 2020 sits at 2.85M), and sales are really doing well.

Also, those 2.85M from this year so far are exactly what the GBA sold RoW - in it's entire lifetime! It's also already ~60% of what the 3DS (4.43M) and the XBO (4.76M) reached in those regions throughout their run.

Switch will certainly outsell the DS there and become the bestselling Nintendo console in RoW since the Switch will only need an additional 4.1M there to reach that goal, and at the current speed we'll be there next summer. From there, Switch will break up the Playstation block on top, which reads all Playstation for the top 4 - 2,4,P and 3, in that order.