By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; WEEK FIFTY-THREE!! GAME! SET! MATCH!

Is there an error for the Switch Japan numbers? Granted, the latest week is still missing, but when I look at their YTD numbers, I see 4.045M for the Switch, with 91k weekly sales.

However, you have the Switch Japan sales at 4.013M already, so just 32k under what it's supposed to achieve. So, who messed up here?

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 08 October 2020

Around the Network

Because I haven't added the new numbers yet. Once I do, I'll have Japanese sales higher than what Famitsu has. 

VGChartz and Famitsu numbers have a notable difference between them. VGChartz is currently trackcing Japanese Switch sales a little higher than Famitsu. And since I'm usually VGChartz numbers, that would explain why it's higher.

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 08 October 2020

Week 40 Breakdowns:

PlayStation 4:
Down in all regions.

Xbox One:
Down in all regions.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions.

We are now officially in the last quarter of the calendar year. We're almost at the finish line! And so far, things are largely the same. The Switch and PS4 both so notable restocks in Japan which is why they are both considerably higher from last week. In the case of the Switch, it's now back up to being YoY over the 3rd week of the Switch Lite at this same point last year.

I'll post more calculations later today. But for now, time for my jog!

PAOerfulone said:

Because I haven't added the new numbers yet. Once I do, I'll have Japanese sales higher than what Famitsu has. 

VGChartz and Famitsu numbers have a notable difference between them. VGChartz is currently trackcing Japanese Switch sales a little higher than Famitsu. And since I'm usually VGChartz numbers, that would explain why it's higher.

Ah okay, thanks for the explanation. I thought somebody messed up, my bad!

I'm looking at Switch numbers by region, and it seems like RoW is doing the best this year relative to last year.  RoW officially passed last year's total this week.  However it was nearly tied last week.  Essentially that means that 2020 week 39 was the same as 2019 week 52. 

RoW has the entire holiday quarter to move ahead of last year's total.  Last year the holiday quarter was 51.3% of annual sales in RoW.  This year it will probably be a little less than 50%.  At any rate it is kind of crazy to see how much RoW is up.  It's currently around 100% increase YoY.  At the end of the year it will probably end up a little less than double.  So something like going from 3.2m last year to almost 6m this year.

Back in early 2018 when I predicted Switch would be the best seller of all time, one person made a fairly reasonable argument that Switch wouldn't sell in RoW anywhere like the PS2 did.  And as I said, this was reasonable, because historically Sony does have a much greater presence in RoW compared to Nintendo.  However, this year, right now, it doesn't look like Nintendo is having any problems with RoW other than getting out enough Switches to them.  It does look like they are expanding their market reach.

Around the Network

Now that we're officially in Q4 of the calander year (Q3 of the Fiscal Year) or the Holiday Quarter so we all understand, it's time to bust out some calculations.

Through Week 40 of 2019, all three systems sold through the following percentages of their final yearly totals.

Worldwide:
PS4 - 62.18099956%
XBO - 44.71066283%
NSW - 49.65954887%

If those percentages were to hold (highly unlikely in the cases of the PS4 and Xbox One) than they would finish 2020 with these worldwide totals:

PlayStation 4 - 12,288,085 units
Xbox One - 5,037,950 units
Nintendo Switch - 34,100,674 units

As these final 12 weeks unfold, the floor is going to fall out from under the PS4 and Xbox One as we get ever so closer to their next-gen successors, and eventually when they arrive. Hence why I say those percentages are not going to hold for those two. As for the Nintendo Switch, it has no successor launching anytime soon and is selling at monstrous levels while STILL experiencing shortages.
But as of late, supply appears to have been improving for the Switch and Nintendo is beginning to catch up to demand. For one, the Animal Crossing bundle has been restocked and is being sold for $299 on Amazon, and it's currently #3 on the hourly rankings (Still in stock too.) And the regular hybrid SKUs aren't too far behind and both are listed at their retail price. So it seems like supply in the US is catching up to demand. Meanwhile, Japan continues to struggle with finding them in stores.
So, that 34 million number may be possible. If Nintendo ships that much, they're going to sell that much.

PAOerfulone said:
Now that we're officially in Q4 of the calander year (Q3 of the Fiscal Year) or the Holiday Quarter so we all understand, it's time to bust out some calculations.

Through Week 40 of 2019, all three systems sold through the following percentages of their final yearly totals.

Worldwide:
PS4 - 62.18099956%
XBO - 44.71066283%
NSW - 49.65954887%

If those percentages were to hold (highly unlikely in the cases of the PS4 and Xbox One) than they would finish 2020 with these worldwide totals:

PlayStation 4 - 12,288,085 units
Xbox One - 5,037,950 units
Nintendo Switch - 34,100,674 units

As these final 12 weeks unfold, the floor is going to fall out from under the PS4 and Xbox One as we get ever so closer to their next-gen successors, and eventually when they arrive. Hence why I say those percentages are not going to hold for those two. As for the Nintendo Switch, it has no successor launching anytime soon and is selling at monstrous levels while STILL experiencing shortages.
But as of late, supply appears to have been improving for the Switch and Nintendo is beginning to catch up to demand. For one, the Animal Crossing bundle has been restocked and is being sold for $299 on Amazon, and it's currently #3 on the hourly rankings (Still in stock too.) And the regular hybrid SKUs aren't too far behind and both are listed at their retail price. So it seems like supply in the US is catching up to demand. Meanwhile, Japan continues to struggle with finding them in stores.
So, that 34 million number may be possible. If Nintendo ships that much, they're going to sell that much.

That is definitely a monstrous number for Switch.  I really think the key question at this point is how much Nintendo can ship.  It is very competitive for breaking the annual sales record this year, but enough Switches need to be sent out.  I would like to see weekly sales increase before we get to Black Friday.  That would indicate that Nintendo has upped their production and shipping ability.  

It's going to be an exciting holiday season for Switch sales.  That much is certain.

I think the Switch will obviously do around 30 millions this year. We will be able to make better prediction with the next quarterly reports.
It would be a breath of fresh air to have a new console take the crown as the best selling of all time. Switch would look pretty on that throne.

Nintendo has been expanding a lot this generation. Attraction park, Mario movie coming in the Switch's lifecycle and Netflix having wishes of a Zelda series will just push Nintendo forward. It could give them more brand recognition and enlarge their target audience. If the Mario movie and Zelda series happens and does well, i can see them making more moves like this like a Metroid series or Movie (knowing Aliens as a franchise on screen pretty much died and the Metroid IP will get pretty valuable after MP4).

This is exciting times, glad Nintendo is finally loosen up.

What is the likelihood that Europe is being under tracked again? It and the ROTW are the two question marks that will be the deciding factors on the performance of the Switch being great or astounding.

PDiddy said:
What is the likelihood that Europe is being under tracked again? It and the ROTW are the two question marks that will be the deciding factors on the performance of the Switch being great or astounding.

Large I guess, but we'll find out soon enough in 3 weeks.