By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; WEEK FIFTY-THREE!! GAME! SET! MATCH!

That really is quite the workload you're taking on, but I appreciate it. This is some good shit.

What stands out most to me is that outside of the US, the Switch's largest YoY gain has actually been the RoW market. I've noticed in the weekly global breakdowns that in Oceania (only a small piece, but still) Switch has been trending well ahead of PS4, when I always thought it had a small presence here, compared to PS dominance. PS4 Pro has been supply constrained, but at least some models of PS4 have been regularly in stock. Even with TLoUII release I think the Switch still barely held a lead, and outside that it's been basically doubling it each week.

You can also see Animal Crossing had a much more concentrated effect during release to the US and Japan sales. In fact, outside of those AC weeks, Japan has been rather up-and-down for Switch, a lot due to supply constraints. Europe and RoW however have just been steadily gaining each week.

Crazy to see that Switch in US has already matched the numbers it had last year, just before it hit holiday season. By the time it hits holidays this year, it may only be ~1mil behind last year's total for that region. Insane.

Anyway, good job with this. I've already been keeping an eye, but I'll keep an even closer one now going forward.

Around the Network

Wow, that extra data is fantastic. Love what's you've done.
Hope it's not too much extra work because this thread is great!

Looks awesome! Thank you for the hard work!!!!!!

1doesnotsimply

Just added the numbers for Week 28 for all tables and here's the breakdown compared to last week:

PS4:
Up in the United States and Europe.
Down in Japan and the Rest of the World.
Down overall.

Xbox One:
Up in the United States, Europe, and the Rest of the World.
Down in Japan (HA!)
Up overall.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions and overall.

Switch sales currently at the equivalent of week 44-45 last year.  Whatever the grand total ends up being for this year, its definitely going to blow away last year's total.

Thanks for doing this thread PAOerfulone.  It's very informative. 

Around the Network

Week 29 Numbers Breakdown:

PS4:
Up in the United States.
Down in Europe, Japan, and the Rest of the World.
Down overall.

Xbox One:
Up in the United States and the Rest of the World.
Down in Europe and Japan (HA!).
Up overall.

Nintendo Switch.

Ghosts of Tsushima evidently had no effect on PS4 hardware sales. I don't think this is due to a lack of supply, because if it were supply issues. It would still be up anyways since Sony would have felt the need to product extra shipments for the release of a major new 1st party title, just like Nintendo did with Paper Mario. No, it looks more like Sony is starting to wind down PS4 production and shifting their focus and attention to the PS5.

The Nintendo Switch has just passed the 11 million mark for the year in Week 29. For comparison's sake, it didn't pass 11 million last year until Week 45. Furthermore, it's lifetime total has also passed 60 million. Just how far will this beast go?

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 23 July 2020

This thread is criminally underrated. Good work.

Love the new things you added.
Switch still beasting. Can't wait for Nintendo's numbers in 2 weeks especially for software.

PAOerfulone said:

Week 29 Numbers Breakdown:

PS4:
Up in the United States.
Down in Europe, Japan, and the Rest of the World.
Down overall.

Xbox One:
Down in Europe and Japan (HA!).
Up overall.

Nintendo Switch.

Ghosts of Tsushima evidently had no effect on PS4 hardware sales. I don't think this is due to a lack of supply, because if it were supply issues. It would still be up anyways since Sony would have felt the need to product extra shipments for the release of a major new 1st party title, just like Nintendo did with Paper Mario. No, it looks more like Sony is starting to wind down PS4 production and shifting their focus and attention to the PS5.

The Nintendo Switch has just passed the 11 million mark for the year in Week 29. For comparison's sake, it didn't pass 11 million last year until Week 45. Furthermore, it's lifetime total has also passed 60 million. Just how far will this beast go?

Switch in 2020 basically has a 16 week lead when compared to Switch in 2019.  That's incredible!  However 16 weeks is the widest this gap is going to get, because week 46 in 2019 corresponds to the launch of Pokemon in November, and every week 46 and later in 2019 has huge sales numbers.  Still a 16 week lead before 2019 hits it's holiday season is pretty damn impressive.  

Week 30 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4:
Up in the United States.
Down in Europe, Japan, and the Rest of the World
Down overall.

Xbox One:
Down in Europe and Japan.
Up overall.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions.

As we enter August, the PS4 and Xbox One weekly sales are beginning to drop back to the level they were before the COVID-19 outbreak and pandemic started back in Spring. Both systems are in short supply and demand for them is still relatively high despite their age. I have no doubt Sony and Microsoft could manufacture, ship, and sell more systems if they wanted to. For as long as this pandemic continues, the demand will still be there. They are simply choosing not to. The reason for that is because they want consumers' attentions to shift to their new consoles. They want to manufacture and ship as many PS5 and Series X units as they possibly can during this time. Focusing more resources and attention to their predecessors while they're on their way out for a short term boost would be counterproductive towards their long term goals. Hence, I believe this steady decline will continue as we move closer to the arrival of Next Gen.

The Nintendo Switch continues its dominant year as Nintendo continues to sort out its stock issues. Thanks in large part to Animal Crossing and the fact that their next system is still a long ways in the future, Nintendo finds themselves in a very different position from Sony and Microsoft. They have every reason to manufacture as many Switch units as they can and should as the system continues to enjoy its peak levels only rivaled by the Wii and DS.