By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; WEEK FIFTY-THREE!! GAME! SET! MATCH!

Just posted further NPD adjustments in accordance to the numbers. Nintendo Switch and Xbox One was adjusted slightly up, PS4 slightly down.

Around the Network

Just posted Week 24 numbers. The Switch is back over 300k for this week as it continues to add to its leads AND has just crossed the 9.5 million mark before we've even hit the halfway point! For comparison's sake, it didn't cross 9.5 million last year until WEEK 40! It's 16 weeks ahead of its pace! Obviously, COVID is a biggest factor in that, Animal Crossing being 2nd, but... Wow, and with PS5/XSX on the way no less. The Switch truly is a monster.

Speaking of PlayStation and Xbox, the PS4 continues to hold pace just slightly behind last year. And once Last of Us 2 drops, I have a feeling that 2020 will slightly overtake 2019, even if it's only temporary. The Xbox One continues to be slightly ahead of last year as well despite no notable new 1st party releases. At least that I'm aware of.

Just seeing how much hardware has grown exponentially this year is just mind-boggling.
It's a sad shame that the circumstances surrounding its rise are... unfavorable, to put it lightly... But on top of people who were potentially holding off on their purchases for a later date deciding to jump on board now, given the circumstances.

I also hypothesize that it's a sizable portion of that casual, smartphone/mobile audience that helped make the Wii and DS rise to such gargantuan heights in the mid-late 00s, but then promptly abandoned those systems, and dedicated gaming altogether once mobile gaming rose to prominence. But with the lockdowns and quarantines keeping those people indoors 24/7, with all that time on their hands, mobile gaming is going to get very old, very fast. So now, they're looking for bigger grander, more ambitious, and immersive experiences to truly take a large chunk of their newly acquired free time, so they're coming back to consoles after all these years.

Switch compared to last year is so crazy it blows my mind

Nintendo Wii 2008 sales through the first 24 weeks: 8,224,791 units
Nintendo Switch 2020 sales through the first 24 weeks: 9,507,425 units

How about that?

Nintendo Wii 2008 totals: 24,188,263 units
Nintendo Switch 2020 totals: ???

Around the Network

If Switch, somehow gets a compelling lineup (give us a bone Nintendo..), and for a very first time - a temporary pricedrop to 249$/179$ we could very well see a 25Million year. And that's effin crazy.

PAOerfulone said:
Nintendo Wii 2008 sales through the first 24 weeks: 8,224,791 units
Nintendo Switch 2020 sales through the first 24 weeks: 9,507,425 units

How about that?

Nintendo Wii 2008 totals: 24,188,263 units
Nintendo Switch 2020 totals: ???

If Nintendo has a big holiday title ready, then this year could become the best for a console ever. 25M+ are certainly a possibility, even rivaling 30M of the DS don't seem impossible anymore now, which is absolutely crazy!

I just posted the Week 25 numbers to the thread.

This week marks the release of Last of Us 2 for the PlayStation 4, and it shows. I'm somewhat surprised. The boost wasn't as big as I thought it would be. I actually think it may be undertracked, but time will tell in the coming weeks.

PAOerfulone said:
I just posted the Week 25 numbers to the thread.

This week marks the release of Last of Us 2 for the PlayStation 4, and it shows. I'm somewhat surprised. The boost wasn't as big as I thought it would be. I actually think it may be undertracked, but time will tell in the coming weeks.

The quarterly report ain't too far off, I'm sure there we'll know more.

The question is, did Sony keep enough units at hand for this release or did they got blindsided by the coronavirus that they didn't have more at hand at the time?

Also, could it be overtracked in the weeks leading to the release and undertracked at the release itself if the total numbers will be spot on with the quarterly report?

I have posted the latest numbers for Week 26 along with a few minor adjustments that @trunkswd made in accordance to data from the UK. The Xbox One was adjusted slightly down, while the PS4 and Switch were adjusted up.