Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; Week 37 - Switch over 400k

Switch sales currently at the equivalent of week 44-45 last year.  Whatever the grand total ends up being for this year, its definitely going to blow away last year's total.

Thanks for doing this thread PAOerfulone.  It's very informative. 



Around the Network

Week 29 Numbers Breakdown:

PS4:
Up in the United States.
Down in Europe, Japan, and the Rest of the World.
Down overall.

Xbox One:
Up in the United States and the Rest of the World.
Down in Europe and Japan (HA!).
Up overall.

Nintendo Switch.
Up in all regions and overall.

Ghosts of Tsushima evidently had no effect on PS4 hardware sales. I don't think this is due to a lack of supply, because if it were supply issues. It would still be up anyways since Sony would have felt the need to product extra shipments for the release of a major new 1st party title, just like Nintendo did with Paper Mario. No, it looks more like Sony is starting to wind down PS4 production and shifting their focus and attention to the PS5.

The Nintendo Switch has just passed the 11 million mark for the year in Week 29. For comparison's sake, it didn't pass 11 million last year until Week 45. Furthermore, it's lifetime total has also passed 60 million. Just how far will this beast go?

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 23 July 2020

Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

This thread is criminally underrated. Good work.



Love the new things you added.
Switch still beasting. Can't wait for Nintendo's numbers in 2 weeks especially for software.



PAOerfulone said:

Week 29 Numbers Breakdown:

PS4:
Up in the United States.
Down in Europe, Japan, and the Rest of the World.
Down overall.

Xbox One:
Up in the United States and the Rest of the World.
Down in Europe and Japan (HA!).
Up overall.

Nintendo Switch.
Up in all regions and overall.

Ghosts of Tsushima evidently had no effect on PS4 hardware sales. I don't think this is due to a lack of supply, because if it were supply issues. It would still be up anyways since Sony would have felt the need to product extra shipments for the release of a major new 1st party title, just like Nintendo did with Paper Mario. No, it looks more like Sony is starting to wind down PS4 production and shifting their focus and attention to the PS5.

The Nintendo Switch has just passed the 11 million mark for the year in Week 29. For comparison's sake, it didn't pass 11 million last year until Week 45. Furthermore, it's lifetime total has also passed 60 million. Just how far will this beast go?

Switch in 2020 basically has a 16 week lead when compared to Switch in 2019.  That's incredible!  However 16 weeks is the widest this gap is going to get, because week 46 in 2019 corresponds to the launch of Pokemon in November, and every week 46 and later in 2019 has huge sales numbers.  Still a 16 week lead before 2019 hits it's holiday season is pretty damn impressive.  



Around the Network

Week 30 Breakdown:

PlayStation 4:
Up in the United States.
Down in Europe, Japan, and the Rest of the World
Down overall.

Xbox One:
Up in the United States and the Rest of the World.
Down in Europe and Japan.
Up overall.

Nintendo Switch:
Up in all regions.


As we enter August, the PS4 and Xbox One weekly sales are beginning to drop back to the level they were before the COVID-19 outbreak and pandemic started back in Spring. Both systems are in short supply and demand for them is still relatively high despite their age. I have no doubt Sony and Microsoft could manufacture, ship, and sell more systems if they wanted to. For as long as this pandemic continues, the demand will still be there. They are simply choosing not to. The reason for that is because they want consumers' attentions to shift to their new consoles. They want to manufacture and ship as many PS5 and Series X units as they possibly can during this time. Focusing more resources and attention to their predecessors while they're on their way out for a short term boost would be counterproductive towards their long term goals. Hence, I believe this steady decline will continue as we move closer to the arrival of Next Gen.

The Nintendo Switch continues its dominant year as Nintendo continues to sort out its stock issues. Thanks in large part to Animal Crossing and the fact that their next system is still a long ways in the future, Nintendo finds themselves in a very different position from Sony and Microsoft. They have every reason to manufacture as many Switch units as they can and should as the system continues to enjoy its peak levels only rivaled by the Wii and DS.



Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

That momentum for Switch only continues to increase. With the amount of spillover it could have going into next year, I expect 2020 vs 2021 could be a lot closer than people think. Just wonder how high it'll set the bar.



Just curious, what is the highest sales total for a calendar year for a gaming system (handheld or console) on record?

Last edited by scottslater - on 30 July 2020

Nintendo with the Switch:

Shaunodon said:

That momentum for Switch only continues to increase. With the amount of spillover it could have going into next year, I expect 2020 vs 2021 could be a lot closer than people think. Just wonder how high it'll set the bar.

The amount of spillover depends on 2 factors - How long the pandemic lasts (They're trying/hoping to have vaccine by the end of the year. But we'll see.) And what their lineup will look like. I've no doubt that the pandemic has caused delays around Nintendo's software development teams and a number of key titles they had penciled for 2020 were pushed back to 2021, and a few 2021 games were pushed back to late 2021-early 2022, and so on. I don't think 2021 will be able to match 2020, but I do think this could lead to a long tail for Switch if Nintendo plays it right.

scottslater said:

Just curious, what is the highest sales total for a calendar year for a gaming system (handheld or console) on record?

That would be the DS in 2008, 29,663,772 units sold in that year according to VGChartz. According to Nintendo themselves, in the FY 2008 (03/2008 - 03/2009), it shipped 31.18 million units. 



Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)

Yea i don't expect Switch to beat the best calendar year for any console this year, atleast looking at the lack of titles and communication rn.
But i do think the pandemic is not the only factor here has MANY places have pretty much everything opened up now, just need to wear a mask. So the sales rn are mostly due to Word of mouth created by the pandemic and Animal crossing. But seeing how wildly popular animal crossing is, how every update is literally going #1 trending on Youtube, it is the main reason. I do not think the PS4 and the Xbox one could have still boost as big in % as the Switch even if they had stock.