By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4/XBO/NS - 2019 vs 2020; WEEK FIFTY-THREE!! GAME! SET! MATCH!

I just posted the adjustments that have been in made in light of Nintendo's recent Earnings Release. And WOW, they were some BIG adjustments. Probably, the biggest ones I've posted since I started doing these comparisons! With these adjustments and the new weekly numbers. the Switch now sold over 13 million through just 7 months and is up YoY by a whopping 6.36 million units!!!

The Xbox One was also adjusted just barely down, in fact, if I didn't go through the Hardware by Date tool to see the updated Switch numbers, I never would've noticed it. So, it's pretty much flat, all things considered. PS4 was also adjusted just slightly down as well.

And with these new adjustments, we see an altered landscape.
As it turns out, Sony is not quite as dominant in Europe as we originally thought as Nintendo has managed to wrestle some market share away over there and is actually leading in Europe so far this year. Albeit, just barely.
But it still goes to show just how strong the PlayStation brand is over there if it took until the year it was getting replaced for the PS4 to have another system come in and take away its iron grip over Europe it has enjoyed since its own launch back in 2013.

Around the Network

But now that the adjustments have been made and sales are as accurate as they can be in accordance to the latest shipments, IT'S TIME FOR SOME ESTIMATIONS!

By Week 31 last year, the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch sold through the following percentages

PS4: 49.47497785%
XBO: 36,18481937%
NSW: 35.96719316%

If these percentages were to hold for this year, then these would be the Final Yearly Totals for each system.

PlayStation 4: 12,985,960 units

Xbox One: 6,094,677 units

Nintendo Switch: 37,101,602 units.

PAOerfulone said:

But now that the adjustments have been made and sales are as accurate as they can be in accordance to the latest shipments, IT'S TIME FOR SOME ESTIMATIONS!

By Week 31 last year, the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch sold through the following percentages

If these percentages were to hold for this year, then these would be the Final Yearly Totals for each system.

Insane Switch momentum. Obviously it wouldn't touch 37mil in any circumstance, but if they just had the parts available + decent holiday lineup, I could've seen it getting near 30mil :(

Can't blame them wanting to push back a system seller or two into 2021, if they can't even supply the systems to meet demand as is. On the other hand, I can see them pushing this momentum out for a very steady few years, with the amount of software I assume must be in the pipeline.

Shaunodon said:
PAOerfulone said:

Insane Switch momentum. Obviously it wouldn't touch 37mil in any circumstance, but if they just had the parts available + decent holiday lineup, I could've seen it getting near 30mil :(

Can't blame them wanting to push back a system seller or two into 2021, if they can't even supply the systems to meet demand as is. On the other hand, I can see them pushing this momentum out for a very steady few years, with the amount of software I assume must be in the pipeline.

Maybe it still can. Nintendo has said that their stock situation is improving, if they get it together in time for the holiday season and if they got a big holiday title (That rumored 3D Mario collection will do the trick.) Then, I think it can pull it off.

More editing and adjusting is on the way as I have noticed some math is off in some of the tables. So keep an eye out for those. Thank you all for your continued support and interest!

Around the Network

After the adjustments the Switch is honest to god tracking ahead of the peak year of the DS:

DS in 08 after 31 weeks: 12,59 mil
Switch in 20 after 31 weeks: 13,34 mil

Last edited by UnderwaterFunktown - on 07 August 2020

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Well, I'll be damned...

@Shaunodon There may be a solid chance of 30 million happening after all.

30M that's just insane.. that would probably take 15M units in the holiday period for it to happen and that's just too much.

According to Bloomberg Nintendo did raise their internal forecast for the FY to 25M units and that's definately something that can happen, even slightly higher. But 30M is such an absurd amount of consoles.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
After the adjustments the Switch is honest to god tracking ahead of the peak year of the DS:

Swtich in 20 after 31 weeks: 13,34 mil
PAOerfulone said:

Well, I'll be damned...

Just looking at the charts for 2008, DS didn't exactly have a killer lineup either. Fairly similar situation where it was mostly selling on the strength of evergreens. Just one or two decent announcements could easily match that.

Do we know how many systems Switch could be able to produce for this calander year?

Shaunodon said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Swtich in 20 after 31 weeks: 13,34 mil
PAOerfulone said:

Well, I'll be damned...

Just looking at the charts for 2008, DS didn't exactly have a killer lineup either. Fairly similar situation where it was mostly selling on the strength of evergreens. Just one or two decent announcements could easily match that.

Do we know how many systems Switch could be able to produce for this calander year?

It's hard to say really. On one hand 30 mil seems like a too big increase over last years shipments for it to be possible. On the other hand they just managed to ship 5,7 mil in a quarter which started out with a lot of production and shipment issues.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat