Forums - Sony Discussion - Outlandish Rumor: Sony is in talks to purchase Zenimax and all owned studios

Shinobi-san said:
method114 said:

Can you send me to a link where he said it? Please nothing vague. I want an outright quote that says Fallout and Elder scrolls will never go to playstation. Case by case means that some games will still go multiplat otherwise there  would be no need to say case by case he'd just say nothing is going to playstation. Like right now you told me he already said it and then you link me to some twitter post from April where he doesn't even mention the games.

This is a massive purchase for Xbox. Xbox has been very very good at communicating what they are doing. Now they make one of the biggest purchases in gaming history and all of sudden they are very vague about what's exclusive and what's not. It just doesn't add up to their previous history. Listen maybe the games will be exclusive I just think it's very weird that they wont outright say it. I've also found it weird how everyone other than them is trying to say it. MS is very quick to respond to rumors yet here they are quiet all of a sudden.

They are about to release their console a long side PS5 after being outsold over 2:1. If you're locking some of the biggest game franchises in gaming history to your ecosytem only now is the time to speak. Keeping it vague is potentially losing you customers who might be willing to leave PS because of these games.

I think they are not saying anything because they actually don't know what they are going to be doing yet with regards to exclusivity.

This is something I think is one of the main things. I have a feeling they aren't even 100% sure what they will do and a lot of it will depend on what happens in the coming monthsyears.

I think your right about the hardware and I think that's the #1 reason they decided to start moving into PC gaming as well. Their whole strategy is gamepass and I think they realize it can't work just with Xbox hardware and mobile phones. That wont be enough. They need PC gamers as well to increase their gamepass subscriptions and make all of this profitable.

Around the Network
method114 said:
chakkra said:

They have actually said it multiple times but for some reason nowadays "case by case" translates into "Yes"

And way before that, Phil actually said this:

Can you send me to a link where he said it? Please nothing vague. I want an outright quote that says Fallout and Elder scrolls will never go to playstation. Case by case means that some games will still go multiplat otherwise there  would be no need to say case by case he'd just say nothing is going to playstation. Like right now you told me he already said it and then you link me to some twitter post from April where he doesn't even mention the games.

This is a massive purchase for Xbox. Xbox has been very very good at communicating what they are doing. Now they make one of the biggest purchases in gaming history and all of sudden they are very vague about what's exclusive and what's not. It just doesn't add up to their previous history. Listen maybe the games will be exclusive I just think it's very weird that they wont outright say it. I've also found it weird how everyone other than them is trying to say it. MS is very quick to respond to rumors yet here they are quiet all of a sudden.

They are about to release their console a long side PS5 after being outsold over 2:1. If you're locking some of the biggest game franchises in gaming history to your ecosytem only now is the time to speak. Keeping it vague is potentially losing you customers who might be willing to leave PS because of these games.

Well, If what you're looking for is a line from Phil Spencer where he says: "No, TES 6 won't be coming to PS5" then I'm afraid you will never hear it. So I guess we're going to have to keep waiting on this one, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Shinobi-san said:
method114 said:

MS could have made this a HUGE thing if they included it in one of their press conferences by outright announcing exclusivity on an actual game - that's my understanding.

It could take up to a year for the deal to finalize (should easily be less). So of course they can't announce anything as exclusive because they don't own the games yet. 

twintail said:
Shinobi-san said:

MS could have made this a HUGE thing if they included it in one of their press conferences by outright announcing exclusivity on an actual game - that's my understanding.

It could take up to a year for the deal to finalize (should easily be less). So of course they can't announce anything as exclusive because they don't own the games yet. 

There's no proof that, that has anything to do with it. They had no problem saying everything was going to gamepass. They had no problem saying they would be honoring the Sony contracts. They had no problem saying they would take it on a case by case basis. Outright saying everything will be exclusive though is something they just possibly can't do?

Imagine the utter rage and meltdowns of Xbox fans if Sony had actually bought Bethesda. Lol we'd be seeing posts in all caps left and right. Meanwhile the opposite has happened and PS users seem to be taking it in stride. Perhaps that will change if MS makes Bethesda games exclusive, but I don't see MS doing that.

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Imagine the utter rage and meltdowns of Xbox fans if Sony had actually bought Bethesda. Lol we'd be seeing posts in all caps left and right. Meanwhile the opposite has happened and PS users seem to be taking it in stride. Perhaps that will change if MS makes Bethesda games exclusive, but I don't see MS doing that.

Should probably get some glasses and re-read the threads. Theres been a lot of insecure posts after this acquisition, most Bethesda games will not come to PS, just have to man up and deal with it. MS is building gamepass and thats where this will fill in, if you think a company is willing to spend 7.5bn for their service just to release it on another platform you are truely clueless. That much money is very little to MS, they can happily take the hit short term to create their plan long term. Unlike sony who would absolutely need to release games multiplatform after an acquisition that big or risk going under.

Cerebralbore101 said:

i'll bite, the exact same stride as when FF13 went multiplatform

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Cerebralbore101 said:

But that didn't happen though. And lol the response from xbox fans wouldn't even be close to what I'm seeing now. Taking it in stride? Just look at that Bethesda thread and the level of arrogance of people who are certain that those games are coming to PS5. Taking it in stride, like people going through the five stages of grief in that thread, or have literal meltdown and moving goalposts. "I'll just buy it on PC, xbox still no exclusives," "lol if you can't make your own talent, just buy everyone else." Looking at Twitter, Youtube, and here, definitely not taking it in stride. And yeah, guess we'll see. Even if they are, Gamepass day one > Buying for $70 plus. 

Undisputed Gamer BAY BAY 

BraLoD said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

No offense but what is this nonsense? For starters, Bethesda didn't make ESO. Secondly as shitty as Fallout 76 is, it shouldn't outweigh all the other stuff not only Bethesda as a studio has done but the Bethesda publishing brand has done amazing work this gen. For a forum and user who constantly complains about the online aspect of modern publishing, you'd really "love" to see Sony buy a huge company that is in no financial stress whatsoever? A company who makes tons of great single player games? Seems to be conflicting messages. Or is it ok so long as they're exclusive to Playstation?

Quake Champions
Rage 2
Doom
Doom Eternal
Five Wolfenstein games
Dishonored 2
Prey
Evil Within 1 and 2

Among others I'm probably missing. All quality games with meaty SP and no forced MP or "screwing over consumers". Well except Quake, obviously. It's MP.

But you'd "love" to see this all walled off and only available to PS users? Fucking yikes. Would be a bad move for gamers and the industry. At least with the other studios being bought recently, there was already a great almost de facto standard working situation like Insomniac or Playground, or it was a developer clearly in need of financial relief like Ninja Theory or Double Fine.

When it was Sony it was a bad move for gamers and the industry, when it's MS it's incredible news for everybody: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9218899

As neutral as always.

Just to correct you on a few things, friend.

1. My point wasn’t regarding exclusivity to one platform or the other but was in regards to the person I quoted having a long history of posts regarding GAAS versus single player games and how the industry needs strong single player titles. So yeah, it doesn’t make a lick of sense for that same person to then be excited about the possibility of one of the biggest publishers of those single player titles being snatched up and having them exclusive to one platform. There’s nothing like that in my post history. 

2. I specifically said in this thread walled off from everyone that isn’t on PlayStation. I specifically said in the other thread you linked that some games will still come to PS5 imho, and that all would come to PC and GamePass. In other words, they aren’t walled off to one platform at all. Yikes, friend, you’re 0 for 2 here.

3. This was also before Sony started snatching up year+ long deals for Bethesda titles and others. So fuck em. Don’t start none won’t be none. Hope that helps.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Well of course. Xbox is an open ecosystem, because of that Zenimax's games will be on PC and xCloud as well as Xbox, so there are more options for Sony fans to still play Zenimax games day one if MS decides to not allow them on PS5. Sony on the other hand would have locked those games to PS5, possibly not even allowing day one PC releases for them, which would have had both Xbox and PC gamers furious (PC is Bethesda's largest fanbase, not Xbox, with a massive modding community for their games). 

There is also the fact that Bethesda (and id and Arkane) have past history with Xbox, Bethesda Softworks has always been associated with Xbox as a result of that, so of course Xbox fans would have been furious if Sony hatted a formerly Xbox associated publisher away from Xbox. Sony acquiring Bethesda and then making their games PS5 exclusive would have been roughly equivalent to MS acquiring Insomniac, Quantic Dream, and Housemarque, and then locking them all off from releasing on PS5, Sony fans would go nuclear if that had happened.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 01 October 2020