By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Gaming influencers like Maximillian have also been calling for a revival of the franchise, with a hashtag campaign #BringBackKI that Microsoft certainly noticed, judging from conversations I've had with Xbox staff over the years.

During a previous XboxEra Podcast, at the 1:24:24 mark, noted Xbox caster Shpeshal Nick said that he'd heard a Killer Instinct reboot may indeed, be in the works. I haven't been able to ascertain for sure whether it's indeed true at my end, but Nick has a solid track record on his sourcing. There are some other hints that Microsoft may be exploring the fighting game scene, though.

In December, it was revealed that Microsoft had hired Mortal Kombat veteran Erin Piepergerdes to be an executive producer for Xbox Game Studios. Piepergerdes has worked on Mortal Kombat all the way back to the Midway Games days, and later Netherrealm at Warner Bros. It stands to reason that, if you were interested in building a fighting game franchise, that you might hire someone like Piepergerdes to oversee it.

I have also heard the vaguest of unsubstantiated rumors that one of Bandai Namco's fighting game development teams may be involved, although I haven't been able to independently verify that yet myself. Previously speaking at an event, someone at Xbox told me that finding a studio or building a team with the specific expertise to make a fighting game was difficult. Naturally, Bandai Namco is responsible for franchises like Soulcalibur and Tekken, and has even contributed to Smash Bros. Ultimate as well. It would make sense to get them involved if indeed Microsoft is exploring reviving the classic fighter.

Around the Network

Not sure what to think of Bandai on Killer Instinct...A lot faster content is likely due to their size but much worse netcode since Bandai doesn't for some dumb reason, do rollback netcode.

Now I wonder if that Japanese Producer in XGSP who was recently hired was for Killer Instinct rather than Kojima's project.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 4 days ago

Ryuu96 said:

Not sure what to think of Bandai on Killer Instinct...A lot faster content is likely due to their size but much worse netcode since Bandai doesn't for some dumb reason, do rollback netcode.

Now I wonder if that Japanese Producer in XGSP who was recently hired was for Killer Instinct rather than Kojima's project.

This would be quite the twist I didn't see coming. I'm curious to see what comes of this

twintail said:
Ryuu96 said:

This would be quite the twist I didn't see coming. I'm curious to see what comes of this

Honestly, I'm a little worried.

Ideally, my #1 choice would have been a team setup by former Double Helix & Iron Galaxy veterans, if that wasn't an option, my #2 choice would have been Iron Galaxy and if that wasn't an option, my #3 choice would be finding another (preferably indie) team that displayed the same passion about Killer Instinct as Double Helix did.

I'm not sure what to make of Bandai making it other than they're a huge company who will likely get it out quickly and get content out faster, it could also hint towards it having a much bigger budget this time around and a proper story mode, that sounds good on paper.

But Bandai's netcode is trash, Killer Instinct was known for having amazing netcode, the best in the business, Bandai isn't and no matter who they work with, that doesn't seem to change, I also don't want it to just be like, a studio designed to just churn out a game, they need to know what makes KI great and have a passion for it that Double Helix had, Microsoft has to tell them to not touch a thing about the gameplay and that's a hard request to demand of any company, let alone a massive publisher who has way more influence than a little indie.

Even the art-style can stay as it is and the music, I want Mick Gordon back but I don't know if Bandai would pick him if they're using their own teams, essentially Killer Instinct 2 needs to be Killer Instinct 13, exactly the same but with updated graphics, an actual cinematic story and more characters, that's basically all KI fans are asking for and I hope they do that.

Also why is Jez calling it a reboot when KI 2013 is already a reboot

I'm also concerned we'll have a bit of repeated history, I always thought it would have been better for them to create a team for Killer Instinct, a team formed by developers who are passionate about Killer Instinct and under Xbox, it's also a title which could last years with regular content updates and the team wouldn't even have to be that big, Microsoft could also do with an internal fighting studio too, it's an area they're frankly massively lacking in.

They lost Double Helix to Amazon which they didn't expect and it hurt Killer Instinct, luckily they found Iron Galaxy but after they were done with Killer Instinct, Microsoft for some reason couldn't find a team for it, maybe Iron Galaxy didn't want to work on it anymore but there's conflicting stories on that, Iron Galaxy said they loved working on it and would consider working on it again, it could be that they are too busy though.

Now they're contracting it out to a massive publisher who frankly doesn't need Killer Instinct (or Microsoft's funding) at all, how long until Bandai is bored of it and moves onto something else because they have offers everywhere...They could drop Killer Instinct at anytime in favour of something else and then we end up with Microsoft spending years trying to find yet another studio for the IP.

Around the Network

Saw Jeff Grubb’s stream of the Anacrusis, it actually looks way better than I initially thought.

Last edited by EspadaGrim - 4 days ago

Ryuu96 said:

I'm also concerned we'll have a bit of repeated history, I always thought it would have been better for them to create a team for Killer Instinct, a team formed by developers who are passionate about Killer Instinct and under Xbox, it's also a title which could last years with regular content updates and the team wouldn't even have to be that big, Microsoft could also do with an internal fighting studio too, it's an area they're frankly massively lacking in.

They lost Double Helix to Amazon which they didn't expect and it hurt Killer Instinct, luckily they found Iron Galaxy but after they were done with Killer Instinct, Microsoft for some reason couldn't find a team for it, maybe Iron Galaxy didn't want to work on it anymore but there's conflicting stories on that, Iron Galaxy said they loved working on it and would consider working on it again, it could be that they are too busy though.

Now they're contracting it out to a massive publisher who frankly doesn't need Killer Instinct (or Microsoft's funding) at all, how long until Bandai is bored of it and moves onto something else because they have offers everywhere...They could drop Killer Instinct at anytime in favour of something else and then we end up with Microsoft spending years trying to find yet another studio for the IP.

I really would not waste the time worrying about something I have absolutely no clue about.  First and foremost I would just be happy that MS found a solution to getting a new KI done.  As to who does it, how they do it and what comes of it can wait until we actually get info on it not vague rumors.  The main issue is getting it done and who knows where things can go from there.  It might give MS enough time to build the specific team they are looking for.

I think that Bandai Namco developing Killer Instinct would be very interesting, MS has a very good relationship with them already and MS likely wants a team that has made a AAA fighting game before, they are the best realistic option available imo.

Iron Galaxy for whatever reason decided not to jump on it and instead are making that multiplayer brawler game that looks like a total flop in the making.

Last edited by EspadaGrim - 4 days ago

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 3 days ago