By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:
jason1637 said:

Bro how does an Xbox review of TLOU2 come up in court case concerning Epic and Apple?

Good point, I don't see how it is related to either Epic or Apple. TLOU 2 runs on an internal engine, not Unreal Engine, and why would Apple have any knowledge of Microsoft's internal competition review team at all? 

I don't like the fact that MS praised TLOU 2 after their internal review. I could understand praising the audio, graphics, and art, but they specifically praised the story and characters, which are disastrous from what I've read of them, if I had played the first game I would have wanted a refund after playing the sequel. Last thing I want Microsoft thinking is good storytelling is TLOU 2. At least they rightly criticized TLOU 2's gunplay and controls. 

There are things from Sony games I would actually like to see Microsoft copy, for instance Hellblade 2 having some God of War 4 elements, and their RPG's like Fable having some Horizon: Zero Dawn elements, but the only thing I would want MS copying from Naughty Dog here lately is their standout graphics, and some Uncharted systems and elements in MachineGame's Indiana Jones. 

I mean... if your opinion is limited to what you've read I wouldn't put too much stock in hyperbole; regardless, still not a great look to be drooling over it as though its a masterclass example of writing.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
shikamaru317 said:

Good point, I don't see how it is related to either Epic or Apple. TLOU 2 runs on an internal engine, not Unreal Engine, and why would Apple have any knowledge of Microsoft's internal competition review team at all? 

I don't like the fact that MS praised TLOU 2 after their internal review. I could understand praising the audio, graphics, and art, but they specifically praised the story and characters, which are disastrous from what I've read of them, if I had played the first game I would have wanted a refund after playing the sequel. Last thing I want Microsoft thinking is good storytelling is TLOU 2. At least they rightly criticized TLOU 2's gunplay and controls. 

There are things from Sony games I would actually like to see Microsoft copy, for instance Hellblade 2 having some God of War 4 elements, and their RPG's like Fable having some Horizon: Zero Dawn elements, but the only thing I would want MS copying from Naughty Dog here lately is their standout graphics, and some Uncharted systems and elements in MachineGame's Indiana Jones. 

I mean... if your opinion is limited to what you've read I wouldn't put too much stock in hyperbole; regardless, still not a great look to be drooling over it as though its a masterclass example of writing.

Well, I can't say that I ever played TLOU 1 or 2 myself, but I watched several partial let's plays of TLOU 1 and read a storyline overview of it on wikipedia once, and it seemed like a pretty good story. As for TLOU 2, I've only read the wikipedia story overview and the hate leveled at TLOU 2 by fans of the first game last summer. From what I did read, I personally can't see that as good storytelling. 

I like to think of it in Halo terms. Halo 5's story was already pretty hated by Halo fans, everybody knows that. Now think about how much worse Halo 5's story would have been if:

Spoiler!
Locke killed Master Chief early in the game, and then the rest of the game you switched back and forth between playing as Locke and Fred. Then right near the end Fred and Locke fight, and instead of Fred killing Locke in revenge for John's killing, Fred pussies out and lets Locke live, and then Locke goes back to the UNSC and Fred goes and picks up Chief's helmet at stares it, then a flashback scene of Fred and John talking plays and the game ends.

That is TLOU 2's story in a nutshell, and I don't like the idea of Microsoft's internal review team thinking that is good storytelling. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 03 May 2021

shikamaru317 said:
coolbeans said:

Well, I can't say that I ever played TLOU 1 or 2 myself, but I watched several partial let's plays of TLOU 1 and read a storyline overview of it on wikipedia once, and it seemed like a pretty good story. As for TLOU 2, I've only read the wikipedia story overview and the hate leveled at TLOU 2 by fans of the first game last summer. From what I did read, I personally can't see that as good storytelling. 

I like to think of it in Halo terms. Halo 5's story was already pretty hated by Halo fans, everybody knows that. Now think about how much worse Halo 5's story would have been if:

Spoiler!
Locke killed Master Chief early in the game, and then the rest of the game you switched back and forth between playing as Locke and Fred. Then right near the end Fred and Locke fight, and instead of Fred killing Locke in revenge for John's killing, Fred pussies out and lets Locke live, and then Locke goes back to the UNSC and Fred goes and picks up Chief's helmet at stares it, then a flashback scene of Fred and John talking plays and the game ends.

That is TLOU 2's story in a nutshell, and I don't like the idea of Microsoft's internal review team thinking that is good storytelling. 

But you're helping my point by connecting how it'd look in a Halo game versus The Last of Us.  There's a different thematic framework in TLOU where these ideas on paper can actually work.  This is coming from someone who who holds TLOU(1) in higher esteem.

To be clear: 2's execution is still inconsistent.  I just think it's unhelpful to overly rely on upset fans.

As someone who played TLOU 2, i agree with their review. Visuals were great, story was good and the gunplay was subpar. I liked TLOU 2 even though i hated the original.

Looks like TA Gamercards are updating once again, yay.

Around the Network

I am intrigued but also nervous, it's no easy task to repurpose an engine to support an entirely different genre, like, not the same at all, if they pull it off then FTech will probably be Microsoft's most versatile and best engine.

Ryuu96 said:

Yeah I saw that, this Epic vs Apple court case is juciy, revealing a lot of stuff about Xbox/Playstation

I think Epic will lose this hard, so far Apple seem to be winning the argument, calling out Epic's hypocrisy

Rooting for Apple low-key, then them to lose against EU so xCloud can have a native app on iOS.

I have only one thing to add: no. 

I won't wait, I want it to be as messy as possible, possibly to the point of forcing Apple to cough up half of itself off. 

No more waiting: Pry. It. Open. 

Epic was right all along... 

It's likely redacted because it's an unannounced title.

Q3 would include September which is Horizon's typical release month, I wonder if it was Horizon 5 but was delayed an entire year.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 04 May 2021

SN: Again, I have to ask! If given the opportunity, will you guys be interested in making a new Killer Instinct game?

SD: We loved working on Killer Instinct, and we had a great time supporting that community. They still ask us to update that experience every day on social media and we really appreciate the enduring enthusiasm. Like any other opportunity that comes our way, if KI ever presented itself again, we’d consider it.

https://segmentnext.com/2021/05/01/interview-iron-galaxy/

🤔🤔🤔