By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Quite ironic, but as far as I remember in Valve case, they take 30% for all games and 20% if your revenue is more than some value. Very strange approach that benefits the big sellers but not as good for small developers

Oh yeah, you are right, they do charge big devs less than small devs. How in the world are they getting so much indie and niche dev support with that crappy policy, especially with Epic only taking 12%.

Market share and audience. Steam is where the vast majority of PC gamers are and where they feel comfortable. People say that dislike when companies are anti-consumer but it's hard for people to make drastic decisions to leave an ecosystem where they might have dozens of friends and hundreds of games.

Around the Network

Suck for Microsoft but I low-key hope the courts get it revealed

Anyone else watching the trial? Some interesting stuff about the industry.

Epic's money-hat plan for PC seems to be utterly failing based on late 2019 data, only thing Microsoft can do is just make the Windows Store itself as amazing as possible.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 03 May 2021

shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

Quite ironic, but as far as I remember in Valve case, they take 30% for all games and 20% if your revenue is more than some value. Very strange approach that benefits the big sellers but not as good for small developers

Oh yeah, you are right, they do charge big devs less than small devs. How in the world are they getting so much indie and niche dev support with that crappy policy, especially with Epic only taking 12%.

70% off 1m is 700k

88% of ~0 is ~0

Basic math

shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

If I was a indie developer I'd look at this data and think, yeah, Steam it is.

People coming in for the major releases or free titles then dipping out.

There's data on how much Epic pays for their free game giveaways too, I imagine Xbox pays similar rates for GwG, most stuff is below $1m.

Tryna keep this stuff somewhat relevant to Xbox, I'm finding it interesting and nowhere else to post it.

Actually I'm seeing from other indie developers that these payments are pretty bad.

Makes me even more curious what Microsoft pays now.

Around the Network

Bro how does an Xbox review of TLOU2 come up in court case concerning Epic and Apple?

jason1637 said:

Bro how does an Xbox review of TLOU2 come up in court case concerning Epic and Apple?

Lmfao, I don't know

Gonna find Phil Spencer's salary soon.

jason1637 said:

Worst thing is that we get this and still no Xbox One sales numbers.

Ryuu96 said:

There's data on how much Epic pays for their free game giveaways too, I imagine Xbox pays similar rates for GwG, most stuff is below $1m.

Tryna keep this stuff somewhat relevant to Xbox, I'm finding it interesting and nowhere else to post it.

Actually I'm seeing from other indie developers that these payments are pretty bad.

Makes me even more curious what Microsoft pays now.

Those are truly disastrous payment amounts for most of those devs. Ubisoft got a measly $63,000 for For Honor even though it got downloaded 3m times. I'm surprised that more publishers and devs don't negotiate for a sliding scale payment based on download numbers for these free download promotions like GWG, PS+, Stadia Pro, and Epic Store. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 03 May 2021

jason1637 said:

Good point, I don't see how it is related to either Epic or Apple. TLOU 2 runs on an internal engine, not Unreal Engine, and why would Apple have any knowledge of Microsoft's internal competition review team at all? 

I don't like the fact that MS praised TLOU 2 after their internal review. I could understand praising the audio, graphics, and art, but they specifically praised the story and characters, which are disastrous from what I've read of them, if I had played the first game I would have wanted a refund after playing the sequel. Last thing I want Microsoft thinking is good storytelling is TLOU 2. At least they rightly criticized TLOU 2's gunplay and controls. 

There are things from Sony games I would actually like to see Microsoft copy, for instance Hellblade 2 having some God of War 4 elements, and their RPG's like Fable having some Horizon: Zero Dawn elements, but the only thing I would want MS copying from Naughty Dog here lately is their standout graphics, and some Uncharted systems and elements in MachineGame's Indiana Jones. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 03 May 2021