By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
shikamaru317 said:

Ugh, Aspyr is releasing yet another Star Wars remaster on PS4 and Switch only, Republic Commando. This is like the 4th PS4/Switch only Star Wars remaster they have released so far. Really starting to get fearful about Aspyr being the dev doing the KOTOR reboot, if they'll skip Xbox on these remasters, what's to stop them from avoiding Xbox on the KOTOR reboot, unless Disney or the publisher forces them to support Xbox. 

Is this even receiving any graphical updates or is it just a straight up port?

Probably don't see the point since it's already BC with Series X/S.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Ugh, Aspyr is releasing yet another Star Wars remaster on PS4 and Switch only, Republic Commando. This is like the 4th PS4/Switch only Star Wars remaster they have released so far. Really starting to get fearful about Aspyr being the dev doing the KOTOR reboot, if they'll skip Xbox on these remasters, what's to stop them from avoiding Xbox on the KOTOR reboot, unless Disney or the publisher forces them to support Xbox. 

Episode I Racer recently released to Xbox One.

EspadaGrim said:

Anthem Next has officially been cancelled, sucks that it is being left to die when the core mechanics of that game are awesome. The next two Bioware games are make or break for them imo.

I think they made the right call. Unlike Final Fantasy 14, which had a die-hard final fantasy fanbase willing to give FF14: A Realm Reborn a chance after the initial failure of FF14, Anthem being a new IP doesn't have a die-hard fanbase to support Anthem Next, so there is no guarantee that the playerbase who was interested in Anthem originally but quit after the disappointment would come back and give Anthem Next a try. 

Better to refocus all of their developers on getting Dragon Age 4 and Mass Effect 4 released as soon as possible. Hopefully with these extra developers on Dragon Age 4 now, they can manage to get it out in 2022. As for Mass Effect 4, release depends on if there is a proper full dev team working on Mass Effect 4 currently, or if it's just in pre-production until Dragon Age 4 releases and the main team can move to Mass Effect 4. If it's the former, 2024 should be possible for Mass Effect 4 hopefully, if it's the latter I don't think we'll see Mass Effect 4 until 2025 at the earliest, 5 years after it was announced....

Voicing the Grunts again? xD

I'm going to read into everything, like him having fun, out of desperate hope that he stays at 343 after Infinite ships, we need Joe.

Next blog post for Infinite should be tomorrow.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 February 2021

coolbeans said:
shikamaru317 said:

Episode I Racer recently released to Xbox One.

Yeah, it is the only one of the 4 to make it to Xbox so far, and it was 4 months late on Xbox. Their Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy remasters still haven't made it to Xbox after nearly a year and a half on Jedi Outcast and nearly a year on Jedi Academy. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 24 February 2021

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

Is this even receiving any graphical updates or is it just a straight up port?

Probably don't see the point since it's already BC with Series X/S.

They run at higher resolution and framerate than the originals I think, but those are the only upgrades. Did Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, and Republic Commando get the 4K Xbox One X back compat treatment? I know that KOTOR 1 and 2 did, but I'm not sure about those 3. 

About half-way through The Medium. Enjoyable game.
The visuals can look quite nice but Marianne's face could've used more work. Both in complexity and especially in animation. She often has this robotic gaze.
Some cutscenes seem to run with 60 FPS but the rest of the game with 30 FPS. Little weird there. It also seems to slightly drop into the mid to high 20s sometimes but considering the type of game, this is a non-issue. (My own experience, haven't checked Digital Foundry).

shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

Expanding on my idea that 343 should create two studios (one focused on mainline, one focused on spinoffs) with a lead for each, I wonder if Joseph Staten would be more inclined to stick around with Halo if he could lead a spinoff studio, he wouldn't be shackled to one set story, he could delve into multiple genres and a lot of very different stories, he also wrote a book recently so like I think he doesn't mind writing more stories in the Haloverse.

I'm 100% behind the idea of getting more Halo spinoffs this generation, especially since Halo Infinite is planned to be the only mainline game this gen. So many great spinoffs they could do (either as standalone games or in some cases as campaign DLC's for Infinite):

• Flood focused survival-horror game in the style of Alien Isolation (perfect for VR)
  • Arbiter focused squad game, with optional co-op that lets you play as as say Arbiter (Thel 'Vadam), Mahkee 'Chava, N'tho 'Sraom, and Usze 'Taham, AI plays unpicked characters
  • Alpha-9 focused game, with optional co-op that lets you choose between the 6 current characters of Alpha-Nine, Dare, Buck, Romeo, Mickey, and Gretchen. AI plays unpicked characters
  • Halo Wars 3 (I was saddened by the recent news that Halo Wars 3 is not currently planned)
  • Halo Megablocks revival
  • A Halo space combat focused game, maybe with a mix of slower paced, tactical capital ship combat and faster paced fighter combat

I definitely think they need to try and keep Staten post Infinite. 

343 has dropped the ball on spinoffs, they've done what, Halo Wars 2 (which is a sequel to something Bungie made) and 2 mobile spinoffs. Bungie meanwhile did Halo 3 ODST, Halo Wars and Halo Reach, all 'original' spinoff ideas.

There is so much spinoff potential with the Halo universe and I agree with your suggestions, to expand on them.

1. Flood Focused Survival Horror - Agreed with this suggestion and setting it like Alien Isolation (could get Creative Assembly to make it even), the plot can be something as basic as playing as a marine on a small research ship, investigates a strange signal near the edges of the galaxy but finds nothing on the derelict ship, except a Flood spore manages to sneak onboard our ship and start infecting everyone.

Can basically be you playing as your character, trying to reach the control room and send a distress signal out for help or blowing the ship up so nothing can escape, cause the Flood will eventually grow to control the ship.

2. Arbiter Focused Squad Game - Would love this too, it expands the Halo universe, it opens the possibility of allying with other species again like in Halo 2, it shows us Sanghelli culture and how Arbiter is as a leader, I would prefer the plot to be around end of Halo 3 - Halo 5, Arbiter trying to regain control of his planet, civil war, 343 definitely wouldn't do an Arbiter game where we're killing humans, Lol.

3. Alpha 9 Game - Yup, can basically be a Spiritual Successor to Halo 3 ODST but obviously we can't call it ODST cause they aren't ODST anymore, Lol but they'd still have similar team dynamics.

4. Halo Wars 3 - May be controversial but if Atriox is in mainline Halo then I don't want Halo Wars 3, what I want is Spirit of Fire/Red Team in mainline Halo and IMO, it should be Red Team who kills Atriox, not Chief, cause Red Team have more history with him and a vendetta against him.

My fan favourite idea of a Halo Wars title though would be set during the Forerunner era, imagine the scale of an RTS like that, the massive planetary battles, it should start with you playing as Ancient Humanity, on defence against The Flood while fighting the Forerunners, then about 70-80% way through the game, what we know happens, happens, Ancient Humanity loses, and the game swaps to you playing as Forerunners in their final moments, battling the Flood and lighting the rings.

I'd prefer a Forerunner RPG but the scale might be too big for 343, Lol, it should be fine as an RTS though, it will provide a lot of essential backstory to Halo players too.

5. Halo Megablocks - Yup!

And that is without going into the fact that they can do spinoffs using book stories, Contact Harvest playing as Sgt Johnson? Yes please. Cole Protocol on Spartan Gray team? Etc.

Reason why I think they need a 2nd studio is because I feel like all of this Halo stuff is simply too much to handle for one person, a 2nd studio has more expansion potential and funding, split the operations off from the main studio but make sure someone trusted with Halo lore runs it (Joseph Staten for example), obviously they'll still be some slight collaboration between main studio and spinoff studio but for the most part I think they should just focus on their own areas.

It's pretty baffling that the Publishing Team doesn't even have the resources to port Halo Wars 2 to Steam...

‘Halo’ TV Series Moves From Showtime To Paramount+

EXCLUSIVE: Halo‘s long road to the small screen has taken one final turn. Showtime’s anticipated series based on the hugely popular Xbox video game franchise will migrate to Paramount+ and be available exclusively on ViacomCBS’ streamer. The announcement will be made during the ViacomCBS Streaming Event this afternoon.

Produced by Showtime in partnership with 343 Industries, along with Amblin Television, the series is currently in production in Budapest and will premiere on Paramount+ in Q1 2022.

“It delivers the visceral excitement of playing the game, along with a much deeper emotional experience around the Spartans, human beings who got their humanity chemically and genetically altered,” David Nevins, Chief Creative Officer, CBS & Chairman and CEO, Showtime Networks, said about the series. “The story is about reclaiming what makes them human, and therefore it’s a very powerful story.”

Halo, which had filmed 55%-60% of its first season when the coronavirus pandemic shut down all production last March, had been floated for months as a possibility for Paramount+ at the ViacomCBS Content Council and in conversations between Nevins and ViacomCBS president and CEO Bob Bakish.

He reached out to Showtime’s creative partners on the series, Spielberg and his team at Amblin as well as 343 Industries, the Microsoft-owned video game developer behind the Halo universe. Nevins got them on board with a pitch why Halo would benefit from launching on Paramount+. “It could be a defining show for a newish service that’s got all firepower of an entertainment corporation behind it,” Nevins said.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/halo-tv-series-latest-paramount-plus-move-1234698703/

I mean, Paramount+ is a step up from airing on Showtime at least but...I still wish this show was Netflix or Amazon.

shikamaru317 said:

Which is pathetic as neither PlayStation nor Nintendo even got the game originally. Microsoft need to work on better third party relations. 

Wheel me out to the curb for garbage day