Expanding on my idea that 343 should create two studios (one focused on mainline, one focused on spinoffs) with a lead for each, I wonder if Joseph Staten would be more inclined to stick around with Halo if he could lead a spinoff studio, he wouldn't be shackled to one set story, he could delve into multiple genres and a lot of very different stories, he also wrote a book recently so like I think he doesn't mind writing more stories in the Haloverse.
I'm 100% behind the idea of getting more Halo spinoffs this generation, especially since Halo Infinite is planned to be the only mainline game this gen. So many great spinoffs they could do (either as standalone games or in some cases as campaign DLC's for Infinite):
- Flood focused survival-horror game in the style of Alien Isolation (perfect for VR)
- Arbiter focused squad game, with optional co-op that lets you play as as say Arbiter (Thel 'Vadam), Mahkee 'Chava, N'tho 'Sraom, and Usze 'Taham, AI plays unpicked characters
- Alpha-9 focused game, with optional co-op that lets you choose between the 6 current characters of Alpha-Nine, Dare, Buck, Romeo, Mickey, and Gretchen. AI plays unpicked characters
- Halo Wars 3 (I was saddened by the recent news that Halo Wars 3 is not currently planned)
- Halo Megablocks revival
- A Halo space combat focused game, maybe with a mix of slower paced, tactical capital ship combat and faster paced fighter combat
I definitely think they need to try and keep Staten post Infinite.
343 has dropped the ball on spinoffs, they've done what, Halo Wars 2 (which is a sequel to something Bungie made) and 2 mobile spinoffs. Bungie meanwhile did Halo 3 ODST, Halo Wars and Halo Reach, all 'original' spinoff ideas.
There is so much spinoff potential with the Halo universe and I agree with your suggestions, to expand on them.
- Flood Focused Survival Horror - Agreed with this suggestion and setting it like Alien Isolation (could get Creative Assembly to make it even), the plot can be something as basic as playing as a marine on a small research ship, investigates a strange signal near the edges of the galaxy but finds nothing on the derelict ship, except a Flood spore manages to sneak onboard our ship and start infecting everyone.
Can basically be you playing as your character, trying to reach the control room and send a distress signal out for help or blowing the ship up so nothing can escape, cause the Flood will eventually grow to control the ship.
- Arbiter Focused Squad Game - Would love this too, it expands the Halo universe, it opens the possibility of allying with other species again like in Halo 2, it shows us Sanghelli culture and how Arbiter is as a leader, I would prefer the plot to be around end of Halo 3 - Halo 5, Arbiter trying to regain control of his planet, civil war, 343 definitely wouldn't do an Arbiter game where we're killing humans, Lol.
- Alpha 9 Game - Yup, can basically be a Spiritual Successor to Halo 3 ODST but obviously we can't call it ODST cause they aren't ODST anymore, Lol but they'd still have similar team dynamics.
- Halo Wars 3 - May be controversial but if Atriox is in mainline Halo then I don't want Halo Wars 3, what I want is Spirit of Fire/Red Team in mainline Halo and IMO, it should be Red Team who kills Atriox, not Chief, cause Red Team have more history with him and a vendetta against him.
My fan favourite idea of a Halo Wars title though would be set during the Forerunner era, imagine the scale of an RTS like that, the massive planetary battles, it should start with you playing as Ancient Humanity, on defence against The Flood while fighting the Forerunners, then about 70-80% way through the game, what we know happens, happens, Ancient Humanity loses, and the game swaps to you playing as Forerunners in their final moments, battling the Flood and lighting the rings.
I'd prefer a Forerunner RPG but the scale might be too big for 343, Lol, it should be fine as an RTS though, it will provide a lot of essential backstory to Halo players too.
- Halo Megablocks - Yup!
And that is without going into the fact that they can do spinoffs using book stories, Contact Harvest playing as Sgt Johnson? Yes please. Cole Protocol on Spartan Gray team? Etc.
Reason why I think they need a 2nd studio is because I feel like all of this Halo stuff is simply too much to handle for one person, a 2nd studio has more expansion potential and funding, split the operations off from the main studio but make sure someone trusted with Halo lore runs it (Joseph Staten for example), obviously they'll still be some slight collaboration between main studio and spinoff studio but for the most part I think they should just focus on their own areas.
It's pretty baffling that the Publishing Team doesn't even have the resources to port Halo Wars 2 to Steam...