By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:

Colt says he heard from trusted sources that Xbox is getting Dying Light 2 as a timed exclusive and could be permanent depending on the acquisition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcJo0aT4rho

Not sure if Colt is reliable though.

Isn't he just some random Xbox-themed content creator on YouTube? I doubt he can have any real inside info like Brad Sams or Jez Corden

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:

What Square rumours?

Eh, I don't see why Undead Labs would get in the way of Techland at all, State of Decay and Dying Light share one similarity, they have zombies, other than that they're completely different games, and their zombies aren't even the same, hell they acquired Obsidian, who is making Avowed, which apparently internally has been described as an Elder Scrolls inspired, Lol.

Also strongly disagree that Bloober Team would be better, Techland have proven themselves more than Bloober, Dying Light has sold 17 million units, Dying Light 2 would be huge on Game Pass and is/should be close to releasing, one Dying Light is probably the equivalent to at least 3-5 Bloober titles in terms of selling potential/reach.

Techland also has two teams, both AAA, one on Dying Light 2 and another on an AAA Fantasy Open-World, Techland would be an amazing hub for gathering Polish talent, they just need, I believe, support and money, they're far too small to be working on 2 AAA's at the same time.

Also Bloober Team is public so their stock is automatically inflated, $100m would be around their price which is too high Imo. I do think regardless that none of these insiders know a thing about any public companies that are about to be acquired.

The rumors that Sony is having acquisition talks with Square Enix I assume. 

Come on, Sony can't afford Square Enix, it's just someone's wet dreams.

Dying Light 2 exclusivity would definitely help Xboxs 2021 lineup. Good get by MS if true.

Ryuu96 said:

Theoretically, Sony could acquire Square Enix, Square is worth about $8bn (minimum) but Sony apparently has around $45bn cash on hand (I thought it was around $20bn but apparently it's increase a lot recently). Not to mention it would be extremely unlikely they would pay it all through hard cash, almost no company makes acquisitions that big and pays it through cash only, there is liquid assets and stock exchange as Shika mentioned, plus companies tend to borrow for big acquisitions. They also could simply acquire a majority share and not the entire company, anything above 51% and they're the majority owners.

However, it would certainly be a huge acquisition for Sony to make, something they would very much notice in the financials, would Sony want to spend that big on Playstation? Who knows, Playstation is doing amazing for Sony right now. Microsoft in comparison will barely notice the Bethesda acquisition.

However, I doubt it's happening, as I said they're a public company, if Sony made any offers it would be public knowledge, I also don't see any indication that SE wants to sell, or that Sony would even feel the need to acquire them (unless it was a defensive measure to prevent someone else from doing so), SE gives Sony everything anyway.

So yeah I think we can say this rumour is 100% not true, Sony could just acquire a minority share if they really wanted to to keep SE close.

Off topic: Good job with the thread, Ryuu. I think more casual PS users would return to VGC if the PS thread had an OP just half as active as you. As such, I now find myself discussing a Sony rumor in the Xbox thread

Bold: Yeah, I don't see it happening either. SE stock price is higher than it's been for the past 21 years and as you say, SE always release their games on PS anyway. Maybe Sony will buy a small stake like the 1.9% they bought in Kadokawa as that would make it more difficult for Tencent/Amazon/Microsoft/etc to acquire SE outright and remove the games from Sony's ecosystem.

And maybe that's for the best as a small stake wouldn't mean full exclusivity. Sony bought a 18.6% stake in SE in 2001 and ironically, SE's support for Xbox was far better during this period with even a few exclusives (The Last Remnant and Star Ocean 4). Since Sony sold its last share in 2014, SE has skipped Xbox versions on so many games. Some were money hats, sure. But I do think many were due to low sales expectations as well. Anecdotally at least, many of my friends on Xbox say they couldn't care less about Japanese games.

Dragon Quest X (PC, PS4, Switch)
Dragon Quest Builders 1 (PS4, Switch)
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PC, PS4, Switch)
Dragon Quest Heroes (PC, PS4, Switch)

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (PC, PS4, Switch)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (PC, PS5, PS4)
Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PC, PS4)
Left Alive (PC, PS4)
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy! (PS4, Switch)
The Last Remnant: Remastered (PC, PS4, Switch)
Star Ocean 4: Remastered (PC, PS4)
Star Ocean 5 (PS4)
I Am Setsuna (PC, PS4, Switch)
Lost Sphear (PC, PS4, Switch)
Secret of Mana (PC, PS4, Switch)
Trials of Mana (PC, PS4, Switch)
SaGa: Scarlet Grace (PC, PS4, Switch)

Final Fantasy XVI (PC, PS5)
Project Athia (PC, PS5)
Babylon's Fall (PC, PS5, PS4)
SaGa Frontier (PC, PS4, Switch)
NEO: The World Ends with You (PS4, Switch)

Last edited by Replicant - on 14 February 2021

Replicant said:
Ryuu96 said:

Theoretically, Sony could acquire Square Enix, Square is worth about $8bn (minimum) but Sony apparently has around $45bn cash on hand (I thought it was around $20bn but apparently it's increase a lot recently). Not to mention it would be extremely unlikely they would pay it all through hard cash, almost no company makes acquisitions that big and pays it through cash only, there is liquid assets and stock exchange as Shika mentioned, plus companies tend to borrow for big acquisitions. They also could simply acquire a majority share and not the entire company, anything above 51% and they're the majority owners.

However, it would certainly be a huge acquisition for Sony to make, something they would very much notice in the financials, would Sony want to spend that big on Playstation? Who knows, Playstation is doing amazing for Sony right now. Microsoft in comparison will barely notice the Bethesda acquisition.

However, I doubt it's happening, as I said they're a public company, if Sony made any offers it would be public knowledge, I also don't see any indication that SE wants to sell, or that Sony would even feel the need to acquire them (unless it was a defensive measure to prevent someone else from doing so), SE gives Sony everything anyway.

So yeah I think we can say this rumour is 100% not true, Sony could just acquire a minority share if they really wanted to to keep SE close.

Off topic: Good job with the thread, Ryuu. I think more casual PS users would return to VGC if the PS thread had an OP just half as active as you. As such, I now find myself discussing a Sony rumor in the Xbox thread

Bold: Yeah, I don't see it happening either. SE stock price is higher than it's been for the past 21 years and as you say, SE always release their games on PS anyway. Maybe Sony will buy a small stake like the 1.9% they bought in Kadokawa as that would make it more difficult for Tencent/Amazon/Microsoft/etc to acquire SE outright and remove the games from Sony's ecosystem.

And maybe that's for the best as a small stake wouldn't mean full exclusivity. Sony bought a 18.6% stake in SE in 2001 and ironically, SE's support for Xbox was far better during this period with even a few exclusives (The Last Remnant and Star Ocean 4). Since Sony sold its last share in 2014, SE has skipped Xbox versions on so many games. Some were money hats, sure. But I do think many were due to low sales expectations as well. Anecdotally at least, many of my friends on Xbox say they couldn't care less about Japanese games.

Dragon Quest X (PC, PS4, Switch)
Dragon Quest Builders 1 (PS4, Switch)
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PC, PS4, Switch)
Dragon Quest Heroes (PC, PS4, Switch)

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (PC, PS4, Switch)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (PC, PS5, PS4)
Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PC, PS4)
Left Alive (PC, PS4)
Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy! (PS4, Switch)
The Last Remnant: Remastered (PC, PS4, Switch)
Star Ocean 4: Remastered (PC, PS4)
Star Ocean 5 (PS4)
I Am Setsuna (PC, PS4, Switch)
Lost Sphear (PC, PS4, Switch)
Secret of Mana (PC, PS4, Switch)
Trials of Mana (PC, PS4, Switch)
SaGa: Scarlet Grace (PC, PS4, Switch)

Final Fantasy XVI (PC, PS5)
Project Athia (PC, PS5)
Babylon's Fall (PC, PS5, PS4)
SaGa Frontier (PC, PS4, Switch)
NEO: The World Ends with You (PS4, Switch)

I think the change was actually Wada leaving the company. Indeed, if you look at Wada's tenure and Square's "rollback" into Sony, you'll see there's overlap in the timeline. 

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
I think the change was actually Wada leaving the company. Indeed, if you look at Wada's tenure and Square's "rollback" into Sony, you'll see there's overlap in the timeline. 

That's most likely the case, yeah.

My point was more to say that if we want as many games as possible to stay multiplat, a small stake wouldn't necessarily hinder that as Sony owning a stake in SE from 2001 to 2014 didn't keep them from releasing games on Xbox.

THANK GOD

I must be the only one who thinks this new Xbox app is good :P I use TrueAhcievements.com to check achievements tho. But great they're bringing them back to app.

Replicant said:

It obviously has nothing to do with Sony selling their share. It's just a coincidence that Sony selling their share happened at the same time as Xbox One release happened which resulted in Microsoft losing half of their 360 player base.

The Xbox app on iOS is doodoo. Before they updated it, the app was way better.