By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
ice said:

Lol the pain of backlog is real... trust me I know. It's so bad when there's a ton of JRPGs in it. Thankfully 2021 has a pretty boring 1st half so it's time to get cracking on it. Right now I'm back on KH3 after a 2 year break

Boring if you only play on Xbox :smugpepe:

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

MS supporting their games a little TOO well, Howling Peaks just came out in DECEMBER

shikamaru317 said:

But yeah, I really hope that the new Sega Gamepass deal that Ed is teasing is Persona. While I kind of doubt I will be able to find the time to play a game as large as Persona 5 with my current backlog, especially if they give Xbox the original base version instead of the improved Royal version that has less grinding, I will definitely play Persona 5 Strikers if it comes to Xbox since I enjoy musou style games, and I definitely want Xbox to win over Atlus before Project ReFantasy releases. FF16 seems disappointing and is timed PS5 exclusive, so all my hopes now rest in Project ReFantasy for a good fantasy JPRG, even better if I can play it on Xbox day one.

You are wrong here. The amount of grinding required for the base P5 is offset by a ton of new content added in Royal. It took around 95 hours for me to complete vanilla P5 and 120 to complete P5R. (And I'm not even taking into consideration that vanilla P5 was my first Persona game so I needed some time to get around gameplay mechanics). The one advice I would give is that if they indeed port vanilla P5 better not waste your time on it because Royal is so much better and there is non way to transfer your progress.

shikamaru317 said:
derpysquirtle64 said:

You are wrong here. The amount of grinding required for the base P5 is offset by a ton of new content added in Royal. It took around 95 hours for me to complete vanilla P5 and 120 to complete P5R. (And I'm not even taking into consideration that vanilla P5 was my first Persona game so I needed some time to get around gameplay mechanics). The one advice I would give is that if they indeed port vanilla P5 better not waste your time on it because Royal is so much better and there is non way to transfer your progress.

Dunno, I was just basing it on the fact that I heard they removed some grinding with Royal, as well as the fact that How Long To Beat has a shorter 100% completion time listed for Persona 5 Royal than Persona 5:

https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=15221

https://howlongtobeat.com/game?id=66630

172 hours vs 144 for 100% completion. However, main and main + extras playstyles increase on Royal due to the new content I presume. So I guess the reason that 100% completion time decreases on Royal is that there was some annoying trophy on base Persona 5 that required alot of extra time and grinding in order to get all trophies and get the Platinum, while they made it easier to get the platinum trophy on Royal, dunno. But I hate grinding in RPG's, so I would definitely strongly prefer it if Royal shows up on Xbox instead of base Persona 5 since it has less grinding. Also, I like the design of the new girl in Royal, the red head.

100% is the time needed for Platinum as you suggested and it really is easier done in Royal because it can be done in a single play through. The hardest achievements like complete Persona compendium and max out all relationships are not present in Royal. These achievements require to beat the game twice unless you are following a guide (then it can be done right after beating the first boss in the second play through)

Damn one might think Minecraft is a game for kids but fighting Wither was no joke. Took a long time to find 3 skulls to spawn it and make Nether gear. We also built 10 iron golems to help with the fight. My younger kid was crying and wife raging through the battle but we killed it alright.

Now to gather a shitload of gold ore...

Around the Network

Still no FF7re Xbox announcement but PC was announced.

shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, rumor is Sony paid to extend their 1 year timed deal on FF7R, will now get a re-release on PC and PS5 with new content around the 1 year anniversary of FF7R in April, then an Xbox release sometime later. We don't really know how long Sony paid to extend it by, could be a whole other year before it shows up on Xbox, or it could be just a few months extension, as Sony hat deals commonly range from 1 month, to 3 month, to 1 year. Sony and Square are both pretty shit if you ask me, Sony is shit for hatting all the FF games (and Athia by the FFXV team) and Square is shit for letting them.

This BS gives MS more reason to keep all future Bethesda titles off PlayStation and keep it as console exclusive, Phil Spencer better deliver the goods.

Last edited by EspadaGrim - on 09 February 2021

Man SE is disgusting. They know FF does decent on Xbox but instead of trying to build the community more on Xbox they leverage it in timed deals for Sony for a quick cash in. I’m so over them I’d rather support Bamco, Capcom, or Sega.

Played three missions in Desperados III and I gotta say it's pretty good.
I was doubtful since it's from the same devs as Shadow Tactics which I checked out briefly and didn't like much. Genre is the same as well.
Might have to check it out again after I'm done with Desperados.

shikamaru317 said:
ice said:

Man SE is disgusting. They know FF does decent on Xbox but instead of trying to build the community more on Xbox they leverage it in timed deals for Sony for a quick cash in. I’m so over them I’d rather support Bamco, Capcom, or Sega.

Yeah, it's annoying for sure. VGC has XB1 FFXV physical at about 1.2m almost 3 years ago, we're probably up to at least 1.4m physical after another almost 3 years of sales. Add on digital sales with the kind of physical/digital ratios we've been seeing since the latter half of this generation and FFXV is for sure over 2m sales on XB1 by now, plus Gamepass players on FFXV (FFXV was on Gamepass for about a year). Square is basically ok with ignoring a potential 2m sales on Xbox for quick cash from Sony, it's pretty annoying. They also skipped PC on the first FF7R release and they are skipping PC on FF16 (Athia and this 2nd FF7R release are on PC). I can't even really hate on Sony for offering Square the money in the first place, they're doing what they need to do to get exclusive content to push their platform (though I do wish that Sony would focus their money on acquisitions rather than timed exclusives, timed game modes, and timed DLC), but I can hate on Square for taking that Sony money not once, not twice, not 3 times, but 4 times in a row now. Seriously f*ck off with that anti-consumer crap Square. 

This all lines up with the long post I had a couple of days ago about future of FF franchise on Xbox. To be fair, it's hard to blame Square on this because they are a business company first. 1m sales can look good if you don't take into the account that it was around 15% of all console sales, which is quite low. So, going back to that my old post, I think that the decision was made because of poor FFXV sales. If you take into consideration the exclusivity deal for FF7R and FF16, the split between Xbox and PS will be even worse. Like, probably less than 1m sales and less than 10%. If Square can easily cover 95% of potential Final Fantasy audience by just releasing the games on PS and PC, then why even bother with Xbox versions. You also can add the simple fact that Microsoft has shown that they are willing to pay to put Final Fantasy games straight into GamePass a couple years later, so Square are not wrong to wait for an offer. The ideal business model - get Sony's money for time exclusivity. Sell 95% potential copies on PS/PC and then take money from MS to put the games straight onto GamePass 2-3 years later when they become dirt cheap anyway. 

I understand the frustration with Square's business practices, but to be honest I think that in this case the anger should be aimed not at Square but at Xbox user base which is sadly not willing to buy Final Fantasy games and support the franchise on the platform.