By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Angelus said:
VersusEvil said:

Half way through my second playthrough of The Medium and this is definitely not a"horror" game, I'd even say it's not scary in the slightest and I scare at anything lol (I've only seen one jump scare and it's very typical cliche) this game is more a supernatural detective thriller and it works surprisingly well in that regard. It's easily a Gamepass Gem but not much more than that. Should you try it? If you can look past the very slow and sluggish gameplay then yes, it's very enjoyable and hey ... It has an ending that would make even Blair Witch blush ~_~

Agreed. I've not finished it yet, but it's an interesting experience. Definitely more of a paranormal investigation game, than horror, but that doesn't much bother me, as I don't actually care for the horror genre all that much. Honestly, I think this game is worth playing for the art direction alone. I always feel compelled to keep pushing on, simply to see what else the artists cooked up. 

I don't think I'd be inclined to pay more than 20 bucks for it, but if you've got GP, I'd definitely recommend playing it.

I agree that this is definitely not a horror game and probably not appeal to anyone looking for a lot of action and heroics.  I still have not completed the game but its definitely one to have headphones on.  Without my headphones I miss so much of the sound and atmosphere within the game which adds a lot.

Around the Network

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if NT themselves made the choice, they been supporting it with little return. As for SoT it was always popular even at launch and when it was clowned on forums. So it made sense on why they stuck that out.

coolbeans said:
ice said:

TBH I wouldn't be surprised if NT themselves made the choice, they been supporting it with little return. As for SoT it was always popular even at launch and when it was clowned on forums. So it made sense on why they stuck that out.

It seems impossible to think Rahni Tucker & her smaller crew would simply bounce on something they've believed in.  To not even reach the 1 year anniversary b/c maybe numbers aren't that exciting suggests corporate influence.

10 months later and multiple updates, the game is dead in the water. I wouldn't want to waste resources on it either tbh I think MS (and NT) gave the game a fair push, not all games are gunna land. And it's servers are still online for the few fans that want to continue playing. I personally don't see an issue with how it's been handled.

Some shout outs 

Last day to vote in the most wanted thread

Also is anyone has missed it, Shika has a metacritic league

shikamaru317 said:

It's just a shame that MS and Ninja Theory sent it out to die. What were they thinking? Of course a multiplayer hero game with only 11 heroes, 5 maps, 2 modes, and nowhere near enough cosmetics at launch wasn't going to have sustainability, and their 20-30 person dev team on the game was nowhere near big enough to output a steady flow of new content post-launch. That game should have been delayed until at least the Holiday season with a launch alongside Series X, if not a full year delay, in order to build up a proper amount of content. I'd guess that they would have needed 20 heroes, 10 maps, 3 or 4 modes, and a good many more cosmetics (including legendary cosmetics) at launch in order to have any chance of long term success. 

I can't really blame MS and NT for pulling the plug though, it was clear from about 3 weeks after launch that the game wasn't going to be sustainable long term, player counts were just too low. Ninja Theory has mostly been bleeding devs on my monthly LinkedIn studio size updates since the summer, it was pretty obvious that Bleeding Edge team devs were slowly being laid off, because their multiplayer skill sets couldn't really be transferred to the Hellblade 2 and Insight Project horror teams.

To the BE team's credit, they stuck it out and released 2 new heroes and a good amount more cosmetics post launch, but it just wasn't enough new content fast enough to make up for the low amount of content on release. Kind of surprised MS/NT didn't pull the plug sooner than they did.

The game would have turned out worse without MS being involved, Bleeding Edge could have damaged Ninja Theory who were always scared of bankruptcy.

The team assigned to it was always too small so the project never had a chance, the framework to sustain it was never there from the beginning. Hope that NT just stick to single player experiences from now on.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
ice said:

10 months later and multiple updates, the game is dead in the water. I wouldn't want to waste resources on it either tbh I think MS (and NT) gave the game a fair push, not all games are gunna land. And it's servers are still online for the few fans that want to continue playing. I personally don't see an issue with how it's been handled.

I think your description doesn't fit reality.  MS botched the early steam necessary for a new IP.  Plus, I think Ninja Theory went without any kind of lead PR so it was mired in early communication frustrations.  And just as you're trying to built a solid base (custom games, leaderboards, tweaks) the BE team is slimming down in size and scope.  

Not to mention that the resources necessary for back-end tweaks, Q&A, etc. could still be modest on their own.  I hate how this has been handled.

Just to be clear, when I say I don't see an issue with how it's been handled I'm speaking solely on the decision to not make anymore updates to the game. I'm sure a fair amount of missteps were had that impacted it's early growth, but regardless the game is dead. I'm not sure if anything could've turned it around, sometimes it's just too little too late. 

I very much doubt that it will be a publisher, Techland seems to fit the profile imo. Dying Light 2 as a timed Exclusive in 2021 seems completely realistic as is a acquisition by MS, I really hope that it’s them.

As a crackpot theory watch it be From Software and MS makes Elden Ring a timed exclusive.

EspadaGrim said:
shikamaru317 said:

It's just a shame that MS and Ninja Theory sent it out to die. What were they thinking? Of course a multiplayer hero game with only 11 heroes, 5 maps, 2 modes, and nowhere near enough cosmetics at launch wasn't going to have sustainability, and their 20-30 person dev team on the game was nowhere near big enough to output a steady flow of new content post-launch. That game should have been delayed until at least the Holiday season with a launch alongside Series X, if not a full year delay, in order to build up a proper amount of content. I'd guess that they would have needed 20 heroes, 10 maps, 3 or 4 modes, and a good many more cosmetics (including legendary cosmetics) at launch in order to have any chance of long term success. 

I can't really blame MS and NT for pulling the plug though, it was clear from about 3 weeks after launch that the game wasn't going to be sustainable long term, player counts were just too low. Ninja Theory has mostly been bleeding devs on my monthly LinkedIn studio size updates since the summer, it was pretty obvious that Bleeding Edge team devs were slowly being laid off, because their multiplayer skill sets couldn't really be transferred to the Hellblade 2 and Insight Project horror teams.

To the BE team's credit, they stuck it out and released 2 new heroes and a good amount more cosmetics post launch, but it just wasn't enough new content fast enough to make up for the low amount of content on release. Kind of surprised MS/NT didn't pull the plug sooner than they did.

The game would have turned out worse without MS being involved, Bleeding Edge could have damaged Ninja Theory who were always scared of bankruptcy.

The team assigned to it was always too small so the project never had a chance, the framework to sustain it was never there from the beginning. Hope that NT just stick to single player experiences from now on.

I agree with this, I believe that BE would actually not have even made it to market if not for MS.  The thing is NT dabbled into something but they really was not all that committed to developing this into something competitive.  The market is already fun of such games with way bigger budgets and experience and this game lacked a lot of the trappings for success.  Its the nature of the beast in competitive MP games of this sort.  Maybe they will come back to it again but with a real understanding of the market and a bigger investment in talent and manpower.  I kind of believe BE was more an experiment then anything else.

EspadaGrim said:

I very much doubt that it will be a publisher, Techland seems to fit the profile imo. Dying Light 2 as a timed Exclusive in 2021 seems completely realistic as is a acquisition by MS, I really hope that it’s them.

As a crackpot theory watch it be From Software and MS makes Elden Ring a timed exclusive.

Man the internet rage if it was From Software would be epic.  Make it happen MS, just the fall out itself would be glorious.

I’m fine with them ending support for BE just because there’s no monetization in the game, so I didn’t expect long support. It’s a cheap AA title. Game was fun, updates and new maps and characters were all free. If they were taking the game offline already, that would be one thing. But just ending support is no big deal imho.