By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
konnichiwa said:
gtotheunit91 said:

It's Bethesda's next big single player open world RPG. That's really all that needs to be said because there's literally no other games out there that are like Bethesda's RPG's. Prior to the Xbox purchase, Bethesda was one of the few 3rd party studios whose games you would consider to be a "system seller"

And with Starfield being Bethesda's first new IP in decades, a sci-fi one at that, that only adds to the excitement. 

But we havn't seen any gameplay yet. It feels silly to be hyped for it. They honestly should announce games like 6 months before the expected release. At the next conference we probably get CGI trailers for games that maybe release befor the next console releases if they continue like this. A ton of games but when they release?  I will not be surprised if they delay Starfield again.

That's completely fair, but we live in such a strange time where everything is getting delayed to where even announcing games 6 months before the expected release may be too soon lol. I mean, God of War Ragnarok got an extended straight up gameplay trailer, but it's been 8 months since that reveal and there's still speculation that it may be delayed to 2023. 

No game is safe these days

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
konnichiwa said:

Well if it was only Starfield/Redfall sure....but you can make a list of games announced a time ago....Everwild..Fable..Perfect Dark....Hellblade II.... Every year the same thing has been said 'Next year will be great' Till it becomes Next year...

I'm talking about this specific case of Starfield...Also, none of those games listed received dates, ever, Lol. Microsoft didn't promise anything like Starfield has been, a year in advanced with an exact date, down to the very day, in hindsight it was a bad move.

Honestly that isn't something to lol about. It's rather sad that games get announced without a release window. Especially when you can pile up so many of them. 

Ryuu96 said:
konnichiwa said:

Honestly that isn't something to lol about. It's rather sad that games get announced without a release window. Especially when you can pile up so many of them. 

Okay but...You've completely missed my point.

I got your point but it is a recurring theme,  Who should we blame for Halo Infinite delay and still feeling it needed more time after it's delayed release?

konnichiwa said:
Ryuu96 said:

Okay but...You've completely missed my point.

I got your point but it is a recurring theme,  Who should we blame for Halo Infinite delay and still feeling it needed more time after it's delayed release?

Well, we blame 343's management for Halo Infinite's development issues, but the delay was a godsend. Joe Staten was the one brought in late in development and convinced Xbox to give them the delay. He's still working on righting that ship now. Can you imagine how bad it would've been if Infinite actually launched in 2020?

I do agree that games shouldn't be announced so early, but let's not pretend Xbox is the only one doing this. Sony announced Spider-Man 2, GoW Ragnarok, Wolverine, and the Star Wars KOTOR remake VERY early. Nintendo announced Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, and Breath of the Wild 2 VERY early. It's an industry wide issue and hopefully with the pandemic, all gaming companies have learned their lesson on that. 

gtotheunit91 said:
konnichiwa said:

Well, we blame 343's management for Halo Infinite's development issues, but the delay was a godsend. Joe Staten was the one brought in late in development and convinced Xbox to give them the delay. He's still working on righting that ship now. Can you imagine how bad it would've been if Infinite actually launched in 2020?

I do agree that games shouldn't be announced so early, but let's not pretend Xbox is the only one doing this. Sony announced Spider-Man 2, GoW Ragnarok, Wolverine, and the Star Wars KOTOR remake VERY early. Nintendo announced Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, and Breath of the Wild 2 VERY early. It's an industry wide issue and hopefully with the pandemic, all gaming companies have learned their lesson on that. 

I am not saying it is an Xbox only thing but the worst offender is certainly Xbox. Yeah Nintendo announces games to early but they also announce games that come/came out soon after (Kirby/Switch sports/Fire Emblem Warriors/Mario strikers).  A year or longer ago MS stated they aimed to release a first party game every quarter.... Trolls laughed and said 'only 1 game each 3 months??' And now we wish their was atleast 1 game... and we get back to the routine 'but next year will be better'.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

This is a pretty big marketing screw up too, I wonder if the delay would be as bad if they didn't set a date on it and were so specific, not only that, talking as if its release was definite, Lol. Someone has got to revoke Todd's ability to set a date on things, I said before that setting a date a year in advanced was risky when you consider all the recent world events, it's risky even without that stuff!

It's funny that IIRC, Phil was against the date being set but Todd insisted, usually Xbox's marketing is the one that has these stumbles, Bethesda usually meets their dates. Bethesda operates separate from XGS though and does their own thing so it's hard to lay much blame at Xbox's feet, it's how they promised them things would run before acquiring them, I hope they learn from this and don't repeat it in the future unless there's 100% certainty.

If anything from marketing point of view this game will get even more press coverage from the delay. But, what really matters and people need to learn from all this is what should of been learn from Cyberpunk. Most game sales happen in a very short window after release and you better have a finished product that will gather top reviews. A broken games will lose all sales momentum and won't succeed as much.  

You have to remember this is the studios that gave us Fallout 76; that's the legacy they don't want to leave behind. I don't think this delay was planned but I think it's a good thing that the game is going to be outside the Holiday windows. That time of year is always so cram full that it will be nice having two major release in first half of 2023. 

In more positive news, AoE III DE expansion officially revealed, Knights of the Mediterranean

shikamaru317 said:

I do agree with konnichiwa it is a mistake to announce these games so early. Xbox and Bethesda currently has 10 games which were announced 2 years or more before when they were due to release, usually via a CGI trailer in most cases:

1. Everwild (announced 2019, now due for release in 2024 according to insiders)
  2. State of Decay 3 (announced 2020, likely releasing in 2024)
  3. Fable (announced 2020, likely releasing in early 2024 now due to RPG release schedule shift)
  4. Hellblade 2 (announced 2019, likely releasing Holiday 2023)
  5. Avowed (announced 2020, likely releasing 2nd half 2024 now due to RPG release schedule shift)
  6. The Outer Worlds 2 (announced 2021, likely releasing 2nd half 2024)
  7. Elder Scrolls 6 (announced 2018, likely releasing in 2026 now due to Starfield delay also delaying the start of TES 6 full production)
  8. Contraband (announced 2021, likely releasing 2nd half 2023 now due to schedule shift)
  9. Indiana Jones (announced 2021, likely releasing 2024 or 2025)
  10. Project Mara (announced 2020, likely releasing late 2023)

Xbox for sure have got to knock this off, it is not even remotely ok to be announcing so many games that are so many years off from release with CGI trailers. All it does is set expectations from fans and about when they will release that will never be met, leading to fan disappointment. So called insiders further prey on the situation, joining the fans in making up release schedules that will never be met, further fueling the fan disappointment.

In the future Xbox needs to wait until in-engine footage/gameplay is ready to announce their games, and only announce when they have a semi-set in stone release year in mind at least, which will be announced alongside the reveal. If a delay is still necessary after that, then so be it, but at least even after a delay the game will usually still be releasing within 2.5 years of the original announcement trailer.

What kind of comment is this? It's not ok to announce game? That is exactly what fan want to ear and know what is coming in the future. You'd actually be surprise to know that game developers don't announce game for the fans but rather for their investors. All of these decisions are made from business decisions not to appeal or appease fans.  

How many time have Sony and Nintendo simply announce a logo; for example Metroid 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFbDmTjS_MI

You also seem to have forgotten that Covid happen; delaying not just game development but game engine development and everything related to the making of games. Most of the list above were in development or announced before Covid resulting in all these delays.

I want Xbox to continue to show us what is coming and make announcement about what is in development. Your entire argument is based on fan disappointment. The only real disappointment is not having anything to play or anything to look forward to playing. If anything Xbox as been doing an amazing job at showing what can be expect in the future. Beside, Since Microsoft is selling there console now it only make sense that they should announce what you should expect in the future from your purchase.  

'We hear you' = Is great...if it follows with a step..

'We hear you complaing about pricing of X so we will reduce them right now'.

'We hear you complaining about our DRM issue that's what why will we resolve it right now'..

but only feels a bit empty...

Oh well guess wait till the conference is over.... gonna write my complaints in a folder then and release them after the conference;