By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Ryuu96 said:
darkenergy said:

Ok I will be the one who will ask the question: why did you guys decide to unbanned Jaywood2010?

At the end, it came down to a number of reasons, even I debated with myself for a long time because I've always mostly been against bringing back permabanned users, so I had to think long and hard about it and if I think that stance is fair in all cases, I can't even remember what prompted me to change my mind but I also wanted to make sure it was a Mod decision and not just one person deciding so I suggested it be a majority decision Mod vote, I don't know everyone's personal reasons for being in favour but the main ones we spoke about as a team were...

Jaywood wasn't permabanned for trolling or any horrible comments, his permaban was ultimately down to attempting to create a rival site to VGChartz and taking users from VGChartz for it, an idea which brewed after grievances with the direction of the website at the time and conflict with that Mod team, it can be argued that Jaywood was a nuisance to the Mod team but we also agreed as a current team that being a nuisance doesn't really justify a jump from single digit day bans to permaban, especially when both sides shared some blame, at the end of the day, his permaban was focused on his off-site project.

It's also worth mentioning that his site never even got off the ground, so to me, it was never a threat to VGChartz as it literally couldn't be, there was no working functionality to the website, it was still at that time, mostly only an idea, a concept, for this reason, I don't agree that Article 4 applies to Jaywood, as he couldn't at the time "advertise services for commercial purposes" 

Obviously though, we do not want users advertising their forums on ours in an effort to take away users from us, however, in our current climate, there are a number of things that could hurt VGChartz which are openly advertised, such as Discord, even my posting a link to ResetEra or XboxEra could encourage users to join, I believe in part that, if Ioi doesn't want folk leaving for those alternatives then it is also on him to invest in making VGChartz a more desirable place to be at.

Also I would say that Jaywood never intended to kill VGChartz as someone who knew about his project at the time, he never demanded us to leave the site but more-so wanted help to launch his own, whether that changes anything is up for an individual to decide but I don't think Jaywood's site attempt was ever malicious towards VGChartz.

We as a team do believe that Jaywood won't attempt something like this again and it has been 7 years now since he was banned and it is the only case of its kind on VGChartz, I also trust him that he won't do something like that while I'm here, I've had chats with him which give me that confidence, as a result, we believe bringing back Jaywood results in a net positive and very few, if any, negatives, Imo, it's just a nice thing to do and the right thing to do.

He was no doubt a very positive influence to the site at large back then and his reasons for being banned are mostly due to drama between him and the Staff at the time, the Mod team of then is not the same as the one of today aside from one or two, which I already made sure to ask their opinions for, I also made sure to ask the Staff, in particular, Machina and Trucks, both of whom had no issue with it and consider it water under the bridge, it's history which largely doesn't apply now. 

For those reasons, among a few other minor ones, we decided as a team to unban him, despite my reservations against bringing back banned users, I was the one who ultimately created the debate on the topic at the time but I would never do something like this without a majority consensus, the Mod team and Staff ultimately agreed with it so I don't take credit for this alone and I'm thankful they backed it.

Besides, the forums are slow as heck, I think a little positivity injected is something we all deserve. Jaywood wasn't a bad member or troll, like 99% of permabans who will remain permabanned, so, if anyone has the idea that we're about to do a bunch of unbans, we're not, Lol.

Oh ok thanks for explaining this, sorry for the late reply.

Proud to be a Californian.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
Ryuu96 said:

I'm a bit confused on this program. Why would anyone want to use this? lol in this day in age, if you get the physical copy of a game, it's usually because you prefer physical media to digital. 

For new games, you can go for the cheaper option and if it happens to be the physical copy, you can convert it to digital if you prefer that. Many people complain about digital being always more expensive than physical. 

I prefer digital and for the last 3-4 years I only bought digital copies of my games. I still have physical copies of Xbox One and Xbox 360 games and this service will help me get rid of them.

I believe in the near future, consoles will be digital only. To play those older physical games you'd need an overpriced extension. Many people threw VHS cartridges and CD/DVD/BR discs because they don't have devices to play them anymore.

SegaHeart said:

What other genres besides gaming has Joseph Staten made? like Books/Tv shows? His story telling in Halo Reach was amazing I wanna know if he has made a book like Halo reach? And what is his favorite game outside of Halo?

Staten has written a couple of Halo books. One of them is titled Contact Harvest. I personally have never read it but I do remember everyone raving about it at release. I think it even made New York Times best seller list! Contact Harvest released around Halo 3's launch. Staten did work on a Halo movie that got canned :(

The other Halo book is Shadow of Intent which has also been highly reviewed but is kinda short, but still supposed to be a great story.

Outside of Halo, Staten doesn't have a huge track record. When Bungie dipped Microsoft and the Halo franchise, Staten was the Lead Writer and Design Director on the first Destiny game. But Bungie didn't like how everything was turning out, so Staten left Bungie, and Bungie started the story completely over thus leading to the Destiny we know today. 

Staten rejoined Microsoft after leaving Bungie and he has been the lead writer for a couple of Microsoft games that aren't very well regarded lol. It's Crackdown 3 and ReCore, but ReCore I did enjoy. After those games, he joined 343 to be Head of Creative for Halo Infinite. His best work has always been in the Halo franchise.

As far as his favorite game outside of Halo, not sure lol. He has stated that his favorite Halo game was ODST, but I don't think he's publicly stated what his favorite non-Halo game is. 

SegaHeart said:

So, Microsoft is putting Xcloud on TV's I wonder if this applies to just Newer TV's or if my Current TV I have from 2017 will get Xcloud? And which TV brand will get this?

So far, the only TV brand that's been said to be receiving xCloud is Samsung TV's, but no other information besides that. I assume it's going to be only the Samsung TV's that use the Tizen OS because that's primarily been the only Samsung's that have received new features. Idk if Tizen goes back to 2017 though.

If it doesn't, at least you'll have the option to the get the xCloud streaming stick or puck when that releases. I imagine it shouldn't cost more than $100 at launch. 

SegaHeart said:

So, Microsoft is putting Xcloud on TV's I wonder if this applies to just Newer TV's or if my Current TV I have from 2017 will get Xcloud? And which TV brand will get this?

It probably depends on how popular your TV was and how up to date your OS version can be upgraded to. I also have a TV from 2017 (LG Oled B7P) it was fairly popular but OS version is locked back 3 Major iterations so I don't know if Microsoft will be interested in bringing XCloud to it. Anyway I'll probably use a Raspberry pi solutions so I'll have something that work on any TV with an HDMI port.

Around the Network

This dude is REALLY hyping Starfield up lol even putting down naysayers that since it's a Bethesda game that it's going to be a bug ridden mess

Ryuu96 said:

Factsssss.

My hero. Interactivity and mods. That's why Bethesda continues with Creation Engine and that's why Bethesda games have so much longevity and are as loved as they are.

I love Elden Ring and it’s open world but it’s not the scale of Skyrim, imo they failed greatly in NPC questlines and the only one that had any real complexity was Ranni’s.

Found on reddit that there was some puzzle yesterday, don't know what it was about, but apparently that puzzle revealed Italy will be a playable nation in AoE III DE. Expansion incoming! 

honestly as if bugs like those mentioned make or break a game. these days i doubt it would even get me to raise an eyebrow

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.