By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - The Biggest Launch in Xbox History

Post Your Series X Impressions: Has It Matched Your Expectations?

Exceeded Them 11 32.35%

Matched Them 13 38.24%

Below Them 10 29.41%

Total:34

Listening to the video, Digital Foundry themselves are confused and think it is a bug or an issue with the SDK - They don't think it is what the developer intended and think it will be corrected. As mentioned a few days ago, Xbox changed their development environment from XDK to SDK (The reason being to unify development across Xbox/PC, etc.) and it came in pretty hot so developers haven't had much time to work with it, Digital Foundry say they think it will be fixed as developers get more a handle on the console.

We're going to see more stuff like this Tbh, like when PS3 was technically more powerful than 360 but it was harder to develop for, it's an embarrassment to Xbox's PR but good news is it almost certainly will be a temporary issue and the differences for the most part are minor in the end.

Around the Network

The good news is the difference during this generation will be less impacting than the PS3 and 360 divergence since most of the issues involving the PS3 boiled down to being a completely different abomination to the developers that might not have received the correct porting guidelines and as a result, a lot of stuff made for one console translated horribly to the other. If SDK development converged with PC, then it will be the go to module for developing games and anything different will be a port. Even though I honestly can't think of a reason why DIRT looks the way it does, I can safely say the hardware isn't to blame in the least. The difference wouldn't be present even if the game was a last gen title relying on horsepower to look better unless it was a really crappy port of a Sony game.

shikamaru317 said:

Sounds like the Xbox launch in Japan is still going well. Got an Amazon restock yesterday that sold out, and boosted Xbox Series near the top of the bestsellers chart. Got another retailer restock today and is flying off the shelves again I hear. During the previous generation, many retailers in smaller Japanese cities and towns who once carried 360 in Japan dropped the Xbox sections from their shelves and stopped carrying Xbox because Xbox One just wasn't selling (launch Xbox One stock stayed on some shelves for a year or more in Japan), leaving just a few retailers in bigger cities like Tokyo with Xbox shelves for most of this past generation, but I'm hearing reports that many of those same JP retailers that dropped their Xbox sections this past gen have gotten so many requests to start carrying Xbox again that they are creating small Xbox sections again and will now be carry Series S|X.

They need JP exclusives if they want to keep this up, the 360 always received a spike in sales when the the exclusive JRPGs launched. 

I wish that for just once they would have enough exclusives to actually have a strong Tokyo Game show conference.

Developers getting SDK late explains why we didn't see any series X gameplay until so late. This seems like a pretty reasonable explanation why the Series X versions are not performing to the level we were expecting, even digital foundry is puzzled why the game is underperforming so much compared to the ps5 version. It simply doesn't add up. Yet, when this simple explanation is brought up, Sony fans will deny it(of course). You don't need to be an Xbox fan to find this whole thing strange.

smroadkill15 said:
Developers getting SDK late explains why we didn't see any series X gameplay until so late. This seems like a pretty reasonable explanation why the Series X versions are not performing to the level we were expecting, even digital foundry is puzzled why the game is underperforming so much compared to the ps5 version. It simply doesn't add up. Yet, when this simple explanation is brought up, Sony fans will deny it(of course). You don't need to be an Xbox fan to find this whole thing strange.

I can’t even blame them fully, MS boasted About being the strongest console and is getting beaten by a weaker one. It’s a bit funny, though I cringe at the “on paper stats don’t translate to real world performance” posts. MS should had them ready if they were going to market the power so hard.

Around the Network

It's interesting to see third party games performing better on the PS5 than the Series X. Hopefully, that issue will be solved soon.

Despite this issue, I still would like to get the Series X console first for games I missed out on like the Halo games and Gears games. Would like to try out Forza Horizon 4 as well. Never played a racing sim before. What other games do you recommend getting? :)

Last edited by Mr.GameCrazy - on 21 November 2020

Mr.GameCrazy said:

It's interesting to see third party games performing better on the PS5 than the Series X. Hopefully, that issue will be solved soon.

Despite this issue, I still would like to get the Series X console forst for games I missed out on like Halo games and Gears games. Would like to try out Forza Horizon 4 as well. Never played a racing sim before. What other games do you recommend getting? :)

The best recommendation I can give is simply to get Gamepass. Not only are Halo 5 and MCC, Gears 4 and 5, and Forza Horizon 4 on there, but literally hundreds of other games, many of which are great. 

But for more recommendations that were console exclusive to Xbox that you will have missed out on most likely: Sunset Overdrive, ReCore, Quantum Break, Crimson Dragon, D4, Killer Instinct, Halo Wars 2. Some of those are on Gamepass, others are not.

Mr.GameCrazy said:

Despite this issue, I still would like to get the Series X console forst for games I missed out on like Halo games and Gears games. Would like to try out Forza Horizon 4 as well. Never played a racing sim before. What other games do you recommend getting? :)

Just buy Game Pass and try them all! And yes Series X is worth buying despite these issues, it's an amazing console and you'll have loads of games to play.  

Btw it took 1 minute and 28 seconds to boot Series X from power saving mode and get to Borderlands 3 main menu. On X1X it took over 6 minutes :P

kirby007 said:

only game i have a special edition for and it was just a pure coincidence

edit: i have this game not high enough in my top50

This is one of my favorite games of all time.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--