By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Empire - Xbox Games Showcase Recap | Starfield, Redfall, Forza Motorsport Gameplay Reveal | Minecraft Legends, Ara History Untold, Pentiment Announced | Grounded, As Dusk Falls Release Date

Would You Like to See Another Fallout in the Original Genre?

Yes, I’d Love to Play an Isometric Fallout 1 16.67%

Yes, Isometric Fallout Is Better 0 0%

I’d Be Happy With Both 2 33.33%

I Don't Care, I Don't Like Fallout 1 16.67%

No, I Dislike Isometric Titles 1 16.67%

No, It’s Pointless, Giv... 0 0%

Give Me Isometric Fallout and More Wasteland 0 0%

Not a Mainline/Spinoff bu... 1 16.67%

Total:6
VersusEvil said:

Oh ... Nvm, I see what you're talking about lol.

I was wondering that myself until i seen the news post on the front page .

Around the Network

Always love hearing Joe speak about Halo.

Ryuu96 said:

Always love hearing Joe speak about Halo.

I know! It's sexy as hell :)

-Ignore-

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 23 November 2021

On Joseph Leaving Bungie and Joining Xbox

When Joseph Staten left Bungie, the first person who contacted him was Bonnie Ross, she said that she knew he didn't want to work on Halo but asked if he would be interested in talking to some Studio Heads at Xbox and seeing if there's a fit for him inside of Xbox instead, that led to Joe joining the Xbox Game Publishing team.

On How He Came Back To Halo

Joe reached out to Bonnie after the Halo demo, he asked her if there's anything he can do to help but he meant it in a more personal way (like drinks, or a chat, Lol). Two weeks later, Bonnie contacted him and asked if he would come join 343, he described it in a totally different scale to what he thought his 'help' would be, Lol.

He basically said that he never actively sought out to return to Halo.

Crackdown 3

He was surprisingly honest on it, Ryan essentially called it his first career failure and he nodded his head, didn't get defensive against that, Lol.

His 3 Main Objectives After Joining 343i.

1. Work with other studio leaders and Xbox bosses to get the team more time, he spoke positively about the game but knew it needed more time in the oven. Joseph Staten came onboard prior to the delay decision but said it didn't take long to decide to delay it.

2. He focused on Campaign as he knew that was the thing that needed more time, he made the team focus on "ten or so" areas that they wanted to double down on, for example, one of those ten was all about equipment, ensuring the player knows how to use it and how it works in the game.

3. Making sure the team can finish Halo Infinite in a healthy manner (i.e. without unhealthy crunch) and prepare them to move into live-service mode, focus strongly on making a good culture for the studio.

He admitted that they have a ton of work to do, they've just came off a 'sprint' which he hopes was a healthy version of a sprint, now they're recuperating and he mentions how he's seen the bad versions of this (Bungie's crunch).

On Campaign Co-Op

He said cutting it was one of the hardest things but only wants to launch experiences when they're ready with a commitment to excellence, co-op simply wasn't ready so they prioritised other areas, one example being platform stability across Xbox One, Xbox Series, PC, etc.

Asked If He's Staying

He didn't answer it directly, he basically avoided it, he did say however that he doesn't feel pressure but instead this is the most excited he has been about working in games for a long time, he hasn't felt this energised in a long time, he mentions that 343i has so many cool plans in the works that he can't talk about but he sees a great opportunity for the studio to be a driver in innovation, being a cultural touchstone, a franchise that people love and he's excited for that.

I'm not sure why he is avoiding answering that question, Lol. But with how positive he spoke about 343i and to me it doesn't sound like he considers his work to be done yet, not only in terms of Halo Infinite but his work on the studio itself, I think it sounds good for him staying onboard. For example, Co-Op isn't ready, plus the talk about their culture, you can't change that in a year surely, and they're clearly trying to get back to a healthy schedule with the gap between Season 1-2.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 23 November 2021

Around the Network

This thing is so cool :)

Not noted there but I created my Xbox Live account on DAY 1; so I did not have to pick "Laurent187878" but just "Laurent" (my first name) And still rocking it! 
No surprises about Halo 3... I loved this game so much (the MP was amazing)

Ahem...

IN JOE WE TRUST

This man has GOT to stay at 343i.

Ryuu96 said:

He admitted that they have a ton of work to do, they've just came off a 'sprint' which he hopes was a healthy version of a sprint, now they're recuperating and he mentions how he's seen the bad versions of this (Bungie's crunch).

I'm really glad he took the approach of avoiding crunch. Halo 2's development is NOTORIOUS for how bad the crunch was. Most Bungie employees were working 80-90 hour weeks for months leading up to launch. What we got was a fantastic game for sure, but it came at a horrible cost.

There are a lot of disappointments still about Infinite. Specifically regarding campaign co-op and forge not being there at launch, but if that means that not only we'll get a polished experience for both modes when they finally release, and it won't come at the cost of the developers personal lives, then I'm all for that. 

gtotheunit91 said:
Ryuu96 said:

I'm really glad he took the approach of avoiding crunch. Halo 2's development is NOTORIOUS for how bad the crunch was. Most Bungie employees were working 80-90 hour weeks for months leading up to launch. What we got was a fantastic game for sure, but it came at a horrible cost.

There are a lot of disappointments still about Infinite. Specifically regarding campaign co-op and forge not being there at launch, but if that means that not only we'll get a polished experience for both modes when they finally release, and it won't come at the cost of the developers personal lives, then I'm all for that. 

He said Halo CE had bad crunch too, he slept under his desk for it, Lol. But yeah the delay to Season 2 is to give the team a rest, I understand the disappointment but at the end of the day the team is more important, I do notice that 343 doesn't tend to keep people for that long and I wonder if that's down to the bad crunch they've had in the past, so I'm glad it's a primary goal for Joe to sort their culture out.

Will send screenshots from museum itself a bit later