By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

“New things and old things in new ways” still means Perfect Dark to me. The IP is the old, but I picture playing it like the Tomb Raider reboot in 3rd person (new ways). Probably a story reboot. New gadgets and twists on gadgets and PD weapons like the cam spy. I don’t see it being ruled out at all.

Shinobi strikes me as a insider who knows more about certain companies then others. What are his Xbox related predictions? Seems to me he’s more into Sony. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Ryuu96 said:
shinobi602 said:
Phil's words were specific, which will make sense when the game's announced.
-
Alright, doesn't sound like Perfect Dark anymore, 3rd hint that it's not what people think it is.

I don't really see how that rules out Perfect Dark. Phil said The Initiative was doing "new things and old things in new ways". As I see it, that can be taken one of 2 ways:

1. The Initiative actually has 2 games in development, 1 a new IP (new things), the other a revival of a dormant IP (old things in new ways)

2. The Initiative only has 1 game in development. In this scenario, "New things" could match with the rumors we've heard of Perfect Dark reboot having an unprecedented shared world design that lets multiple players compete against each other to finish story driven spy missions first. "Old things in new ways" could very easily describe a reboot of an old IP. The single game scenario could also be used to describe a new IP, but saying "old things in new ways" kind of kills the possibility of it being a new IP, unless "old things in new ways" refers to a new take on an existing game genre, rather than to the IP itself. 

And then of course you have Phil in the E3 2018 interview when The Initiative first opened saying that one of the first things he did after The Initiative was created, was show studio head Darrel Gallagher a portfolio of IP's that MS owns, with Phil straight up saying in the interview that one of those dormant IP interested Darrel, clearly teasing that The Initiative planned to reboot that IP. Out of the whole portfolio of IP's that MS owns, Perfect Dark makes the most sense to be the IP Darrel was interested in, as there are alot of similarities between Perfect Dark and Tomb Raider (which Darrel previously successfully rebooted), both being 5th gen games with female playable characters praised for their sex appeal, and credited with creating many new female gamers at the time. 

Sex appeal isn't exactly the word that comes to mind when looking at Joanna Dark.

Unless we're talking about PDZ which i haven't seen been praised for anything.

Ryuu96 said:
But like you I really don't know what else it could be...

"Challenging themselves to do new things (and old things ) in new ways"

Spin on a genre? Different genre in a old IP? New IP taking old mechanics of other IPs? Lol Idk.

See, this is the actual quote, and it doesn't actually read like a lot of you seem to read it.

There's a distinct difference between "new things, and old things in new ways," which is how most people seem to want to see it, and what he actually wrote. 

Im guessing probably 3rd week then.

shikamaru317 said:
DeusXmachina said:

Sex appeal isn't exactly the word that comes to mind when looking at Joanna Dark.

Sex appeal was definitely a focus of Joanna's design and marketing:

Perfect Dark commercial where Joanna was portrayed by American Model Michelle Merkin, who made Maxim's Hot 100 several years)

lol "only person man enough to handle a job like this - is a woman!"

Sounds like a commercial for CW's Batwoman.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
DeusXmachina said:

Sex appeal was definitely a focus of Joanna's design and marketing:

Perfect Dark commercial where Joanna was portrayed by American Model Michelle Merkin, who made Maxim's Hot 100 several years

N64 US and EU boxarts where Joanna's face is shown with make-up applied

Magazine cover for Perfect Dark with exposed cleavagePrima Games Strategy Guide cover showing Joanna in a skin tight, sexy outfit

Japan Strategy Guide cover

This is from the reception section of Joanna's Wikipedia article:

Joanna Dark is among Rare's most well known characters. In 2007, Tom's Games included her on the list of the 50 greatest female characters in video game history, calling her "all three Charlie's Angels rolled into one" and stating she should be played by Jessica Biel.[13] In 2008, Spike featured Joanna Dark as sixth on their list of "The Top Video Game Vixens",[14] and The Age ranked her as the 20th greatest Xbox character of all time even as her Perfect Dark Zero "may not have been the greatest entry for" her as opposed to the first game for the Nintendo consoles.[15] In 2013, Scott Marley of Daily Record ranked her as the third most attractive female video game character.[16] In 2015, Thanh Niên ranked this "perfect spy" as the fifth most sexy female video game character.[17] Entertainment Weekly elected Joanna Dark the 14th coolest videogame character, adding "[w]hen James Bond goes to sleep, he dreams of being Joanna Dark."[18]

All this being promotional material and not in game makes it seem like the marketing department tried to sell something that wasnt there.

shikamaru317 said:
DeusXmachina said:

All this being promotional material and not in game makes it seem like the marketing department tried to sell something that wasn't there.

Sex appeal was very difficult to portray on 5th gen hardware, 3D graphics were still in their infancy and many attempts to make characters look sexy in-game failed miserably, I think that is why there was the disconnect between the game and the marketing. Look at some "sexy" 5th gen game characters, they are absolutely horrific, nightmare inducing:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading an interview where Rare said they wanted to make her sexier in-game, but felt it wasn't possible due to limitations on N64. 

Tomb Raider 2 already looked a lot better. They added polygons to the important areas:

Was Heavy Metal FAKK 2 also on consoles?

Ryuu96 said:
sales2099 said:
What’s with the uncertainly on Forza releases? I always thought it was Turn 10 that needed the extra time with a ground up next gen Forza. One I’d definitely releasing this year. Either:

Forza 8 holiday 2020/Horizon 5 holiday 2021
Forza Horizon 2020/Forza 8 2021

I think it’s the former. Forza Motorsport will have spent 3 years in development. It’s never, ever been that long between releases. Horizon 5 should get 3 years instead of 2 to really polish their next gen open world racer.

But even the latter I can see. Playground has never had trouble sticking to a strict 2 year timetable. And Turn 10 taking 4 years is unheard of, but that said if true it’s gonna be so good it’ll be objectively the best sim on the market.

Turn 10 spent a lot of that time reworking the engine, Forza Motorsport 8 only entered the "concept phase" on March 8th, 2019, they also mentioned they want the public to be involved in the development and we've seen zero of that so far, unless they changed their minds.

That’s...not like them. I wouldn’t use the word lazy or complacent but it just isn’t like them to take their sweet time. They always hit the ground running. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

On PD, if there wasn’t one in the works I think someone official would have debunked it before hype got out of hand. Just like how nobody officially debunked the Fable rumours

Splash Damage, Creative Assembly, Sumo Digital?