By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Deep lore theories think its a strong possibility that the composed Didact is making a return. During development of Halo Wars 2, Atriox was given the title “Didact Hunter”. It’s believed the recording of “his legacy” may be referring to the Didact instead of Atriox.

Fans are all ready starting to refer to the Didact as “the first banished”, a reference when the forerunner government banished the Didact after he lost a great debate over which to construct as the primary method to combat the flood (halo rings or shield worlds).

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
sales2099 said:
Deep lore theories think its a strong possibility that the composed Didact is making a return. During development of Halo Wars 2, Atriox was given the title “Didact Hunter”. It’s believed the recording of “his legacy” may be referring to the Didact instead of Atriox.

Fans are all ready starting to refer to the Didact as “the first banished”, a reference when the forerunner government banished the Didact after he lost a great debate over which to construct as the primary method to combat the flood (halo rings or shield worlds).

Don't like that either, I think even that goes against who The Banished are.

The Banished barely give a sh*t about Forerunner stuff, they straight up destroy it, Didact may have been banished but he's still one proud asshole who will treat Brutes like savages and jerk off his own species (Forerunners).

The Banished are 'free' soldiers, they fight for Atriox not because they feel they have to but because they want to, I don't see any reason why they would fight for Didact unless it was forced enslavement.

The Original Covenant would fight for Didact, we already had that with Jul Mdama, The Banished are entirely different in their reason for fighting though, it would ruin them if they fought for Cortana or Didact Imo and make them no different from original Covenant.

Edit - Didact's legacy would have been wiping out every species to save his own, Lmao. Makes no sense that The Banished would follow someone who would happily genocide them if it came down to it.

I don't really view the Banished that way. They're "free soldiers" because that's what their leader Atriox tells them they are. Without their leader, their icon, they're probably about as malleable as just about any rudderless group. As long as you can give them something to rally against, and someone else charismatic and larger than life enough to convince them that he embodies in some way the same spirit of rebellion as Atriox, and their goals can align in some way, they could well be manipulated. 

Ryuu96 said:
sales2099 said:

Don't like that either, I think even that goes against who The Banished are.

The Banished barely give a sh*t about Forerunner stuff, they straight up destroy it, Didact may have been banished but he's still one proud asshole who will treat Brutes like savages and jerk off his own species (Forerunners).

The Banished are 'free' soldiers, they fight for Atriox not because they feel they have to but because they want to, I don't see any reason why they would fight for Didact unless it was forced enslavement.

The Original Covenant would fight for Didact, we already had that with Jul Mdama, The Banished are entirely different in their reason for fighting though, it would ruin them if they fought for Cortana or Didact Imo and make them no different from original Covenant.

Edit - Didact's legacy would have been wiping out every species to save his own, Lmao. Makes no sense that The Banished would follow someone who would happily genocide them if it came down to it.

Respectfully disagree. The banished value power above all else, no matter where it comes from. They don’t destroy Forerunner tech if they can make use of it. So long as the Didact doesn’t treat them like subordinates and contempt I can see the motive to gain much on the Banished side of things. If true the story would have to explain how it’s a mutually beneficial alliance and not one working for the other. The Didact is supposedly in a weakened state with no power of his own with Cortana controlling the domain. So he doesn’t have the bargain power he used to. 

If true, the legacy comment could merely be a callback to him defying the powers that be back in forerunner times. Which he did. Or a callback to Didact wanting to wipe out the “falsel holders of the mantle (humanity). I have faith 343 can respect cannon when piecing this all together. It’s certainly possible to make it work . 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Ryuu96 said:
sales2099 said:

Respectfully disagree. The banished value power above all else, no matter where it comes from. They don’t destroy Forerunner tech if they can make use of it. So long as the Didact doesn’t treat them like subordinates and contempt I can see the motive to gain much on the Banished side of things. If true the story would have to explain how it’s a mutually beneficial alliance and not one working for the other. The Didact is supposedly in a weakened state with no power of his own with Cortana controlling the domain. So he doesn’t have the bargain power he used to. 

If true, the legacy comment could merely be a callback to him defying the powers that be back in forerunner times. Which he did. Or a callback to Didact wanting to wipe out the “falsel holders of the mantle (humanity). I have faith 343 can respect cannon when piecing this all together. It’s certainly possible to make it work . 

If all they valued is power then they would have stayed with The Covenant.

They don't destroy Forerunner tech if they can make use of it, no, but at the same time they don't care at all about respecting it like The Covenant did or even, like Didact would.

Didact would 100% treat them like subordinates, it would go against his character to do anything other than that.

Again, Didact defied Forerunner's but he still has massive pride in his own species.

The Banished don't care about The Mantle at all, they don't believe in this stuff, hence "no more lies" which is in reference to Prophet of Truth and his lies regarding similar stuff, they have no respect for Forerunners. They don't believe in this religious mumbo-jumbo about it being someones 'right' to rule the galaxy cause some ancient thing says so.

The Banished was created because Atriox was fed up of his brothers dying and being treated like crap by those above him, The Banished are 'free' in most sense of the word, they want domination on their own terms, not anyone else's.

If 343 had The Banished working with Didact or Cortana then that would ruin them completely for me.

They follow Atriox cause they want to, cause he inspired them to rebel against their asshole bosses, Atriox is like an evil version of Spartacus in that sense.

Power but without a corrupt leadership like the Prophets who ordered them to their deaths. Agreed on the forerunner artifact aspect. They have no religious significance only it’s power if any. 

Agreed with Banished philosophy, would you agree it could work if they are allies and not one working for the other? The Banished are lacking in a Forerunner assets and connections to their networks/domain. The Didact is lacking his army that Cortana now controls. Win win with nobody ruling over the other. And if they each get more power, they can easily declare a truce. 

Is that possibility not a deal breaker?

Ryuu96 said:

Also, why would The Banished even accept Didact as their leader? Dude holds absolutely zero power now, he isn't inspiring to them, they don't even know the history of the Forerunners, nor would they care about some ancient species rebelling against his own species (Ahem, and LOSING unlike Atriox, Didact got his punk ass locked away for thousands of years).

It's far more likely Didact would be a subordinate in The Banished army, following one of the Generals of Atriox and there's no chance in hell that Didact would be happy being someones bitch, especially since Didact basically considers every species vermin except his own.

Yes I feel passionately about this.

I actually love Didact, I love The Banished, but they couldn't be more different in their ideologies and putting them together would ruin it. It'll end up like Nazi Germany & Soviet Russia, equal partnership for a little bit but eventually one is going to betray the other.

That is the only way this works, if it is a 100% equal partnership and there's many problems with even that, for starters Didact holds almost zero leverage, secondly Didact is massively xenophobic and hates working with other species, thirdly their goals would clash, Didact want to slaughter everyone, The Banished just slaughter those that get in their way and would happily let others join and finally, one will eventually betray the other, no doubt about it.

The Banished don't hate any species, Didact hates them all. It wouldn't have been long after Didact made humanity extinct he'd turn his attention onto enslaving everyone else and turning all those into Prometheans, he is literally insane.

Didact is my favourite villain too, but I think we agree on this. It would have to be some kind of temporary unholy alliance lol. Enemy of my enemy is my friend and what not. And when each gets what they want (Atriox gets forerunner tech and Didact gets his promeatheans back) one will betray the other. Plausible?

Around the Network

Ya I’d definitely be interested in seeing each one trying to be civil to the other when it goes against their impulses followed by the eventual betrayal. That’s why evil alliances are far more interesting then good alliances narratively.

What the Didact can do that humans can’t is access the domain like Cortana did. The promise of the promeatheans working for the Banished (false promise to be sure) or at the very least free forerunner tech is incentive to work with him. If the UNSC is giving the Banished fleets trouble including Guardians...The Banished need a edge to fight back themselves. I mean if one ship in Halo Wars 2 gives them trouble then imagine Infinity ;)

For the Didact the Banished is his army until he gets his own back. He will do whatever he can until Cortana is dethrone, even if it means somewhat suppressing his xenophobia.

The only loose end is figuring out how the Banished can trust or have assurances that the Didact won’t turn his promeatheans on them if he so chooses. Ah it’s been a while since Halo fans have been speculating lore, so fun :)

Ryuu96 said:

If they can make it work (well justified, excellent writing), it could be very interesting if done well, it would also go a long way to show off both their tactical prowess.

I love Didact but I'm in a weird spot with Halo 4 of liking him but also being disappointed, for someone hyped up as a tactical genius, his actions in Halo 4 seemed desperate, rushed and unwise but then again, the fella has been sitting in a ball for like 40,000+ years!

Vs.

FIGHT!

It’s actually 100 000, just before the Halos fires. And he was corrupted by the grave mind before hand so he literally dwelled in his own insanity the entire time. He is not the same person who at his peak defeated the ancient human armies. “Corrupted” as in the Halo novel Silentium, describes it as more or less a logic plague for organics without infecting the host.

He thinks he’s doing the right thing in Halo 4 and thinks it’s his own choice. But the theory is that he’s an agent of the flood: weakening their biggest threat (humanity) 

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty fucking jealous that media members got to play like 4-5 hours of Cyberpunk. Fuck all those guys.

Ryuu96 said:

Hold on, if Didact is Logic Plagued, in theory, since he is composed, he would be connected to The Mantle right? So in theory could the Logic Plague spread to The Mantle, and then Cortana accessed The Mantle, which spreads the Logic Plague to Cortana, could all this be one long game of The Flood?

Oh boy, got another deep lore theory that’s been going around since Halo 5. Remember the secret ending to Halo 2? ;)

Other extended universe material expanded and all but confirmed Cortana was logic plagued too when she spoke to the Gravemind. Same premise as the Didact: they think it’s their choice but their goals ultimately help the Floods return. In Cortana case it softens up the galaxy’s defences with Guardians EMPing everything. 

The domain was created by the Precursors (modern day Flood) and was repurposed by the Forerunners. The idea is that like the Librarian which can plant “seeds” that grow to a eventuality (Chief), the Gravemind planted a logic plagued seed that activated once Cortana hit the domain. Hence Cortanas different personality. 

Gravemind is next level genius. Plans upon plans even when the flood aren’t an active threat. So many factors at play!

Last edited by sales2099 - on 25 June 2020

CDPR doing bad things to me moving Cyberpunk into the expected Xbox/Halo launch window. Gonna need to petition somebody for more hours in the day.